homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » The Pre-Macworld Expo San Fran Thread (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Pre-Macworld Expo San Fran Thread
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 08, 2003 21:49      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The plane tickets are bought.
The hotel is reserved. (was it, in fact, ever served?)
The restaurant database is online.
The interview is set.
The camera(s) are charged.
The blog and mob are loaded.
The kilt is pressed.

It's Macworld Expo Time!!! [Cool]

OK... I'll be in San Fran from Sunday January 4 to Sunday January 11. So who's in the SF area? Who's making the pilgrimage?

I know Jessycat (la hostess with the mostess) is hosting the December Geeks In NYC, but maybe we can have a January Geekathon...

Post it up here! Let's geek together!

=DB

...I have two words... Stinking Rose

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2003 05:43      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But do you have tickets for TSS?
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2003 06:08      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
But do you have tickets for TSS?

Interesting story...

I filled out their form on the website ("at thescreensavers dot com" - always wanted to say that!) 3 times and got NO response. None. Nada.

So, I emailed Leo directly, as a member of Leoville. I figured that since Leo personally approves all Leoville members, he might be able to help, or at least tell me who I should talk to.

Long story short, he told me he'll make sure we get in, just to ping him in email a few days before.

I've subsequently talked to him in email about interviewing him for a project I have coming up early next year and he's agreed to that!

My current working plan (though I've yet to confirm with Leo) is that we'll go up to the show on Monday 1/5. I'll of course let everyone know, so you can set your Tivos and there may be some other activities going on then as well, if I can get them coordinated.

More on THAT story as it develops.

=DB

...LIVE! from the TechTV studios in San Francisco... it's... the... Screensavers!

--------------------

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2003 06:49      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How cool! Maybe you'll even get to sit in the LazyBoy. Then you can wave to all us lowly peons still at home. [Smile]

I love San Francisco, but haven't been in about 12 years. So take lots of pictures when you get out there.

What is your project or is it still in development?

DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2003 06:59      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How cool! Maybe you'll even get to sit in the LazyBoy. Then you can wave to all us lowly peons still at home.

Heh... who do you think I am... Rick MacMerc? [Wink] [Wink]

I can only aspire to be so worthy...

=DB

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2003 07:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds cool, but I shall not be able to attend. I'd consider doing a route like I did for LWE SF last time, but I'm really only planning on being in a different place out west around then. OTOH, I'm thinking about LWE NYC 2003, that I almost guarantee I'll be attending. Can't keep me away from the penguins...:-P. That, and it's all but in my back yard.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2003 07:14      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalBill:
quote:
How cool! Maybe you'll even get to sit in the LazyBoy. Then you can wave to all us lowly peons still at home.

Heh... who do you think I am... Rick MacMerc? [Wink] [Wink]

I can only aspire to be so worthy...

=DB

[thumbsdown] [Razz]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2003 14:05      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They played this Judy Collins song this evening on the BBC

Living north of San Francisco
Sometimes it's nice to be alone
She says it's peaceful where she is living
The lights of the Golden Gate will lead her home

You can see the bridges of the city
Hanging in the air by steel and stone
She says it's peaceful where she's living
The lights of the Golden Gate will lead her home

(The Weaver's Song)

DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2003 06:16      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK... Resurrecting this thread.

Anyone living in San Francisco, or who's going to Macworld, please speak up!!

It would be fun to meet up.

<bribe>If I get any takers, I'll fill you in on more details of my TechTV/Screensavers project... </bribe> [Wink]

=DB

...LIVE! from the TechTV studios in San Francisco... it's... the Screensavers!

--------------------

Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2003 07:45      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll be in San Fran from Sunday January 4 to Sunday January 11. So who's in the SF area?
Argh. Once again, I manage to just miss it. I'm flying out of Monterey on January 3, heading back east. One of these years, I will remember to plan to stay in CA for a few days during the first week of January.
Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 12 posted December 18, 2003 08:01      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome to swing by for homemade pizza Digital Bill, breadsticks, pie, and fudge if you're going through Sacramento Area on your way to San Francisco.

Jess

(Apologies to Scott MacKenzie)

Mac World Expo  - (A Parody of San Francisco)

If you're going to Mac World Expo
Be sure to wear your GC shirt in there
If you're going to San Francisco
You're gonna meet some Panther people there

For those who come to San Francisco
MacWorld's gonna be a love-in there
In the halls of MacWorld Expo
Cute booth bunnies are tossing out free warez...

All the PC nation feels iPod's vibration
People in motion
There's a whole generation with a Mac explanation
iTunes in motion, TiBook devotion!

For those who come to Mac World Expo
If you come to San Francisco
The Woz has got a major love-in there...

MacWorld's gonna be a love-in there...

[Big Grin]

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2003 08:12      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
OK... Resurrecting this thread.

Anyone living in San Francisco, or who's going to Macworld, please speak up!!

It would be fun to meet up.[/b] [/i]

Not going to Macworld, but I'm 20-45 minutes away from San Francisco depending on traffic (BART takes about 45 minutes). Just drop me a p/m or an e-mail if you want to arrange something. My work schedule is never the same twice, so I can't guarantee anything without at least two weeks notice, but I can sure try! [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2003 08:37      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
You're welcome to swing by for homemade pizza Digital Bill, breadsticks, pie, and fudge if you're going through Sacramento Area on your way to San Francisco.

Jess

(Apologies to Scott MacKenzie)

Mac World Expo  - (A Parody of San Francisco)

If you're going to Mac World Expo
If you're going to San Francisco
You're gonna meet some Panther people there
MacWorld's gonna be a love-in there...

OMG, that's great! We have to get this recorded! Maybe we should send it to Pogue... King of Mac Parody songs!

And sadly no, I don't think my itinerary takes me near Sacramento... I'm flying into/out of SFO... and not renting a car so pretty much in the city area... but thanks for the offer... maybe next year I'll take an extra week and take some side trips!

=DB

...I left my LART
in San Francisco...

--------------------

DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2003 08:39      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Not going to Macworld, but I'm 20-45 minutes away from San Francisco depending on traffic (BART takes about 45 minutes). Just drop me a p/m or an e-mail if you want to arrange something. My work schedule is never the same twice, so I can't guarantee anything without at least two weeks notice, but I can sure try! [Razz]

TMBWITW,PB,
I'll ping you when I get in town... I don't even know my day-to-day schedule yet...

=DB

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 18, 2003 14:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to Mac World Expo...

lol... groovy JustJess! [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2003 16:35      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
digitalbill: Why not flood ping Leo if you can't get in? :-D
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2003 17:11      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
digitalbill: Why not flood ping Leo if you can't get in? :-D

LOL

I am so in.

Leo's promised to do the interview with me, and the TSS audience coordinator called me today to confirm (I guess they run about 2 weeks ahead, which would explain why I never heard from them sooner...)

=DB

... Coming up next: Leo buys new stuff and watches it go down in price, plus Patrick breaks stuff and Yoshi cuts holes in other stuff, while Kevin and Sarah... well, you know... as the mighty Screensavers ROLLS ON!

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2003 17:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, I don't get TechTV. Then again, I haven't watched TV in a pretty long while, so I guess it's almost moot.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2003 17:27      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, DB!
BTW, you ever get TechTV back?

DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2003 17:38      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cool, DB!

<yosemitesam>Rassa-frassin-frassa-rattin-no-good-varmits!</yosemitesam>

NO! [cry baby] [Mad]

They KEEP promising "By the end of the year, or at least mid January"... In other words, "Real Soon Now™"

<yosemitesam>Rassa-frassin-frassa-rattin!</yosemitesam>

=DB

--------------------

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2003 17:39      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Cool, DB!

<yosemitesam>Rassa-frassin-frassa-rattin-no-good-varmits!</yosemitesam>

NO! [cry baby] [Mad]

They KEEP promising "By the end of the year, or at least mid January"... In other words, "Real Soon Now™"

<yosemitesam>Rassa-frassin-frassa-rattin!</yosemitesam>

=DB

That sux man, well, at least you get to see them live [Smile]
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2003 22:01      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by um, me:
I've subsequently talked to him in email about interviewing him for a project I have coming up early next year and he's agreed to that!

My current working plan (though I've yet to confirm with Leo) is that we'll go up to the show on Monday 1/5. I'll of course let everyone know, so you can set your Tivos and there may be some other activities going on then as well, if I can get them coordinated.

More on THAT story as it develops.

OK. Here's what's happening, as promised above...

I've got a meeting set to interview Leo Laporte (and hopefully others) at 2PM PST on Monday 1/5/04. As mentioned, I'll be interviewing HIM for my new website project, launching in the end of January, that will be all about cameraphone culture... it's called phonetographer.com (feel free to drop by, register if you like, but there's nothing there but the basic engine yet).

(ASIDE: I'm looking for a couple of camphone geeks to act as contributors to the site... either for the news or culture side of the site... email me off list if you're interested... END OF ASIDE)

So we'll tape (well, digitize) the interviews, then hang out for the taping of The Screensavers at 4PM EST, so set your Tivos, maybe you'll see DigitalBill in the audience (or something... we'll see...).

I'll post updates here as available, and try to pop into IRC from the set...

More Macworld Goodness to come...

=DB

...Live from the TechTV Studios in San Francisco, it's... DigitalBill!

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2003 22:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you hear any goss on the rumoured el-cheapo iPods, i hope we'll be the first to know.

/me really really wants an iPod, but the current price in South Pacific Pesos is just way too high.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2003 00:57      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
/me has been putting off getting new 12" powerbook since the start of December just in case of speed bump / new feature / price cut.

Also credit card might take a hit if there's the promised 'Aniversary model'

MacRumors has some stuff about new iPods, small form factor / small capacity / small price (100 USD)

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2003 04:09      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DB: No need to set my TiVo (well, the fact that I don't have one doesn't matter [Smile] ), I allready have my VCR set to tape TSS every week [Smile]

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture