homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Photo album relocated

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Photo album relocated
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 3 posted November 10, 2003 05:28            Edit/Delete Post 
The Geek Culture photo album has a new home:
http://gc.telcontar.net/album/

So also do the IRC guide and IRC FAQ, and the post rate calculator. I am finally moving the Geek Culture satellite pages off Firetrack and onto the server where they were meant to have been from the start.

Anyone who uses their photo on the existing photo album for their profile image may want to change the address to one at the new server, although existing photo image links (but not any .asp links) will continue to work for the time being.

Enjoy.

- uilleann

IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 10, 2003 06:11      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks very good! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2003 07:24            Edit/Delete Post 
It's so fast now! I like it! Guess I need to take a new photo of myself with short hair.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 10, 2003 08:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice! speed!

Magnificent Valour! [thumbsup]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2003 12:07      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Days - 757
Posts - 330
Average - 0.44 per day

I think .44 is the perfect post rate and that everyone should strive for such harmony and post-bliss

Kevin

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2003 13:01      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice :-D

4.86 p/day [Smile]

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 10, 2003 13:28      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much better!

Now we just need to get the little avatars next to the pictures [Smile]

Thanks for maintaining that, uilleann! It does add to the whole GC experience. Especially the IRC stuff.

[EDIT]
Did I overflow your post rate calculater?
Days - Posts - Average -
-1959 246 -0.13 per day
[EDIT]

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2003 13:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:

[EDIT]
Did I overflow your post rate calculater?
Days - Posts - Average -
-1959 246 -0.13 per day
[EDIT]

-WS

Unless he did something to it after you said that, I don't think so:
code:
Results for test:
Days - Posts - Average -
760 246 0.32 per day

You need to use the date from your profile, as opposed to the one next to your posts (i.e. you should have used "October 12, 2001").

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2003 21:24            Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a bit more speed now...

Apparently, Iím down to a post rate of 2.24 Ė I wonder why...? Not sure on the wonky output Ė if dragonman is not on the money, tell me what you entered in and Iíll investigate.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2003 21:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Yes, a bit more speed now...

Apparently, Iím down to a post rate of 2.24 Ė I wonder why...? Not sure on the wonky output Ė if dragonman is not on the money, tell me what you entered in and Iíll investigate.

uill - I entered the number to the left of his post and got the exact bogus results he posted, so I'm quite sure I'm right. Maybe you want to put some error code in there if it doesn't get a legit. date. You also should put some div_by_zero protection code in there (I'm sure you'll figure out what I mean by that - I don't want to spell it out).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2003 22:58      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of the post calc being fscked up (or not), good work on the photo album U [Wink] ......maybe some of these 'newbies' will chuck some pics your way
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 14 posted November 10, 2003 23:40            Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I get it now - the date with no date attached. Test run:
‹?php echo strtotime("Oct 2001"); ?›
–› 1237737600

/unixtime 1237737600
–› 7:16 am: *** Unix time "1237737600": Sunday, March 22, 2009 @ 04:00:00 pm
(thanks ShadowIRC)

Hmm... I am beginning to see the problem [Smile] strtotime() is just generating a nonsense date instead of returning -1 as it is meant to do (not that the code looks for that, but hey [Wink] . I suspect a good check here is if the date they enter comes out greater than today... =p

It was just a little toy put up ages ago - it was never meant to be military-grade code. But anyhow, itís all patched up now. Thanks.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 5 posted November 11, 2003 00:12            Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, WinterSolstice Ė if you were serious about the avatar suggestion (I donít know, but I feel I owe a response), then itís certainly possible, if anyone else wants it, and someone has a good suggestion of how it would work.
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 06:25      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, yeah, WinterSolstice Ė if you were serious about the avatar suggestion (I donít know, but I feel I owe a response), then itís certainly possible, if anyone else wants it, and someone has a good suggestion of how it would work.

I don't really care whether it exists or not, but you could always do somethign like this (in php 4.3 or higher)
$file = file("<profile link>")
then just search that untill you get the avatar link

Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 06:37      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post calculator would be easier to use if you didn't have to put in so much info, so with this in mind, I wrote a little PHP scrapper for you [Wink]

code:
<?
if(empty($user))
{
echo "<form method=post action=postcount.php>User Number:<br><input name=user><input type=submit></form>";
die();
}
while(strlen($user) < 8)
$user = "0$user";
$string = file_get_contents("http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=$user");
header("Content-type: text/rich");
preg_match('/Profile for ([a-z0-9]+).*?Registered:.*?rial">.*?([a-z0-9 ,]+).*?<.*?Posts:.*?rial">.*?([a-z0-9 ,]+).*?</si',$string,$matches);
$created = strtotime($matches[2]);
echo "User: ".$matches[1]."\n".
"Total Posts: ".$matches[3]."\n".
"Created: ".$matches[2]."\n".
"Post rate: ".round(($matches[3]/((time()-$created)/86400)),2)." posts/day";
?>

All you have to enter is your user number (from profile)

Though it's not that pretty, you can use this code until Dan gets it up where it belongs here

--------------------
www.logichigh.com

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 07:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, for something he wrote in a few minutes with his other CGI language before, I thought it was a useful little thing...no need to knock it. All it involves is the copying and pasting of one value (or two if you can't remember your post count), and a little data entry. A scrapper is a decent bit slower based on it's web access, and is putting more load on the GC server for such an unimportant purpose.

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 07:37            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least mine works... yours decided to download the results output to my drive instead of put anything on the screen...

A scrapper is a decent bit slower based on it's web access, and is putting more load on the GC server for such an unimportant purpose.
Not really true - something will have to go to the profile page to collect the registration details, be it you in person, or a script. So, the principle itself is sound, albeit taking a bit of fun out of it [Razz]

Well, that's assuming that you get your member number from your post in this topic. Because otherwise, you'll need to visit your profile for it, so in fact dragonman might be right... doubles the amount of profile visits needed.

Hmm... I've copied the code to disc for the moment anyhow, and will wait for further opinion before changing the status quo.

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 07:41      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, I get it now - the date with no date attached. Test run:
‹?php echo strtotime("Oct 2001"); ?›
–› 1237737600

HAHAHAHA! Now that is a classic. It's interpreting your input as "the two thousand first day of October, of this year".
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 7 posted November 11, 2003 07:51            Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, PHP's attempt to be incredibly smart about interpreting dates, means it ends up incredibly stupid if you rely on it to validate them [Smile] I'd like a simplerstrtotime() that only accepts valid dates with a year, month and day in them and rejects anything it doesn't like, for purposes like this [Smile]
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 19:17      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well fine. It was just a quick hack, but to please dman, I've updated the PHP script, it now scrapes the UBB search page for your ID number based off your name, and then runs that for your info. 2 hits to the GC page. Just punch in your nick and lookup. (warning if searching for your name returns more then 1 page of results you might not be able to use this script, try "ti") [Wink]

code:
<?
if(empty($user))
{
echo "<form method=post action=postcount.php>User Name:<br><input name=user><input type=submit></form>";
die();
}
ob_start();
system("curl --cookie \"ubber2452511.1413=Ti&bff04f4c055ec214276a60d26f83cb96&Ti&30&00000941&0&0\" --data \"ubb=directory&d=browse&pdn=$user&st=&fn=&us=\" \"http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi\"");
$result = ob_get_contents();
ob_end_clean();
$search = "/>$user<\/a>.*?<small>.*?Member # ([0-9]+)/is";
preg_match($search,$result,$matches);
if(count($matches) == 0)
echo $result;
$usernum = $matches[1];
while(strlen($usernum) < 8)
$usernum = "0$usernum";
ob_start();
readfile("http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=$usernum");
$string = ob_get_contents();
ob_end_clean();
preg_match('/Profile for ([a-z0-9]+).*?Registered:.*?rial">.*?([a-z0-9 ,]+).*?<.*?Posts:.*?rial">.*?([a-z0-9 ,]+).*?</si',$string,$matches);
$created = strtotime($matches[2]);
echo "User: ".$matches[1]."<br>".
"Total Posts: ".$matches[3]."<br>".
"Created: ".$matches[2]."<br>".
"Post rate: ".round(($matches[3]/((time()-$created)/86400)),2)." posts/day";
?>

New lookup

--------------------
www.logichigh.com

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 20:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! Please do not misconstrue my words and say that you are 'pleasing dman' - that is the complete opposite of what I want to see...what once was a simple cheap operation (in terms of calculation), with no external server overhead has become more bloated, and potentially putting greater load on Snaggy's site. And in the end, to me, it really boils down to a pissing match, so it's just moot.

--------------------

Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted November 11, 2003 21:55      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
awww.. dman. Lighten up. Me and Dan are kindred spirits in that we both have too much time on our hands. He's always giving me slack about the little things on my site, and I saw an opportunity here to take a little back [Smile]

Also, I don't think that there is anything wrong with a little friendly competition/elbowing in the Geek Arena. Competition presents a challenge where there otherwise wouldn't be one, and drives us to be better then we are. I have to say that thanks to playing around/writing this script I've learned a lot (I now know how to use curl to send GET data through an HTTP socket as well as Cookie data that's required to do a lookup from a remote site, as well as a better grasp of using standard regressions) things I can apply to any project I do. I think uilleann is keen, and more then capable of coming up with something like this on his own, however I do know that he is currently working on a Mac Classic application that does something similar to some of the functions that my script is using, and I hope the code might be of some help to him.

As far as overhead goes, the 30 line script resides on my servers and is near zilch overhead, and only makes 2 calls to the GeekCulture website when activated.

I apologize for using you as the reason I decided to write more script, I understood when I posted that your response was to indicate your distaste with two programmers doing the same thing seemingly needlessly, and that by continuing I was doing the opposite of what you had tried to stop.

But I do find it a bit curious that you care at all, you seemed to get offended FOR uilleann, at comments that weren't even inflammatory. Go ahead, reread the post. Additionally, you'll notice that uilleann's response was. in kind, a sarcastic joke about instability.

<not really true but so advious I had to take it>As far as putting unneeded load on the GC servers go, try starting with reducing your own postcount.</sarcastic flame>

[Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
www.logichigh.com

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2003 03:37            Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose the scary thing is that Tiís new code did a better job of determining my posting rate than I did... mine is now 4.41, and not 2.24 Ė guess I, too, put a wrong number in there somewhere when I did it manually (and odd that I didnít smell a rat).

dragonman, I think I find myself agreeing with Ti here, generally. Although as to which system (one of his, or mine) is better, I donít know Ė I am not good at making that sort of judgement, so I shall await one from a more suited individual on the matter.

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture