homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Microsoft to switch to PowerPC!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Microsoft to switch to PowerPC!
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 09:43      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For their X-box, but it still means that Windows is gonna run on a PowerPC chip without emulation. Wired also reports that MS will user VirtualPC for backward compatibility.

(Am I really the only one who jumped on the news?)

Now, the real question: do they have a hidden agenda?

Is it to prevent hackers to install Linux on their X-box? If so, I'm sure someone will find a way to install PowerPC/Mac version of Linux. AND one might be able to use MacOS X on an X-box. It'll be a lot of fun to watch what will come out of this.

Is it a test-bed to have Windows run natively on PowerPC chip?

Does Microsoft wants to compare Windows to MacOS X on even ground? Do they really expect to outperform MacOS X?

Or is it just an admission that RISC chips have a brighter future than CISC; that IBM/Motorola/Apple were doing things right, and Intel is too stubborn?

And as a side-effect, does that mean that there will be more games coming out faster for MacOS X?

(Do you have enough questions to ponder on? [Big Grin] )

P.S.: Will there be a JOT on that subject? [Wink]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 04, 2003 10:09      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's about friggin' time! the x86 platform was good but I think it's time we got out of this rut. I previsouly never believed it possible for windows to run on anything else, we'll see. But beware, you might have a Mac running Longhorn as an optional OS before to long [evil]
Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2003 10:34      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long ago I believe there was a build of Windows NT for PPC. Probably long before NT 4 though.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 04, 2003 11:41      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NT 3.1 and 3.5, IIRC. I think 4 was only available for Alpha and x86.

It's been awhile, though. I think this is more a move to discourage hacking.

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 04, 2003 20:18      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GOSH !!! It's Evil ! It's Clever !

By moving the M$ Windows OS to PowerPC , cyber-miscreants will begin writing Virus and Worm code for PowerPC machines which then infect Macs .... thus ruining a Virus-Free Mac Utopia!!!

Oh the Horror ! [Eek!]

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GeekAvenger
Assimilated
Member # 1895

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 04, 2003 20:36      Profile for GeekAvenger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean i can't look superior anymore when my MS using friends complain about virus problems....

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

On the flip side, at least no-one will have to be subjected any more..

Now the children can sing again!!! [Big Grin] [crazy]

--------------------
Geekier Than Thou. I think academically so therefore I'm a geek?

Ah the wonders of the crowd.

Posts: 485 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 05:36      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted November 04, 2003 20:18
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GOSH !!! It's Evil ! It's Clever !

By moving the M$ Windows OS to PowerPC , cyber-miscreants will begin writing Virus and Worm code for PowerPC machines which then infect Macs .... thus ruining a Virus-Free Mac Utopia!!!

Oh the Horror !

Theres always Linux [Wink] </flamebait_from_mac_lovers>

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2003 07:57      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Windows PPC viruses wouldn't work on Mac OS for the same reason that Windows x86 viruses don't work on Linux.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture