homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Panther (Mac OS X v10.3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Panther (Mac OS X v10.3)
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted October 24, 2003 16:55      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panther is sooooooo kewl. I just installed it on my iBook 500....

more l8ter

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2003 18:23      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got it up and running on my iMac as well. So far, so good. Expose is nice, and makes me glad to have that fourth mouse button I've never had a use for.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mongoose
Geek
Member # 1991

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 08:01      Profile for mongoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lex:
Got it up and running on my iMac as well. So far, so good. Expose is nice, and makes me glad to have that fourth mouse button I've never had a use for.

What only 4 mouse buttons? I have a ten button trackball, with scroll wheel. Its the Kensington Expert Mouse Pro wireless version. Anyway, back to the topic, I'll be getting Panther with my next computer hopefully, I don't think any of the features are worth my money for the upgrade yet.

-Mongoose!

Posts: 141 | From: There's a NEW Jersey? | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
XnavxeMiyyep
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2408

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 09:01      Profile for XnavxeMiyyep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The speed boost alone is worth the upgrade.
Posts: 34 | From: MA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 26, 2003 10:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XnavxeMiyyep, what are you running it on?
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 19:13      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, bug time. I've got this external firewire drive, upon which sits an encrypted disk image (which takes up the whole of the drive). The disk image holds various large files upon which I do various lengthy operations for various reasons. Various. Ahem. Anyway, this worked perfectly in 10.2 (except for the expected performance hit), but in 10.3 it occasionally stalls. And often when it stalls, it doesn't unstall untill I turn the drive off. And then I've got a ghost of a disk image mounted, and the whole disk image system fails to work properly after that until I reboot. Since there wasn't really any reason to have things set up that way (other than "I'm a 1337 super spy, yo!"), I'm in the process of packing the files up and reformatting the drive. Looks like I'll be making use of this big stack of DVD-RWs. Yay!

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 27, 2003 10:15      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably buy it in January, when I'll be student. Or in December, if I don't get to be a student. 'Cause I decided this past week-end that I'd give it a try and ask for admission in a computer science Master program, part time.

I'll keep you informed - I'll probably won't be able to restrain myself from it anyway. See, I couldn't help not hacking this thread just to tell you!

(How to hack a thread in one lesson: use the current subject to announce some other news.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2003 19:57      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I installed the GM version (7B85), a week before it shipped to the public... it made my old PowerBook G4 500 run as fast, it seemed, as my PowerBook 17 1GHz.

Panther does a couple things oddly, like how it mounts (or doesn't) remote volumes, but other than that and the usual issues with Norton Filesaver (like a Kernel Panic every time it sees a volume with Journaling - which panther activates by default), I've had nothing but joy!

=DB

... I'd still back up before a point-upgrade, though, and in fact did!

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 05, 2003 20:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pismo is Pantherized!

so far so good, things are speedier on the Pismo... had some weird jumping dock action, but that was cured with an APE update... Ok... gotta go do the Dual :-)

edit from panthered Dual... Dual 500 G4 is doing well too...

...bummer, no "fast user switcher effect" due to no Quartz Extreme. [Mad] [cry baby]

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2003 01:18      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky snaggy! Panther still hasn't arrived here (maybe due to the postal strike), despite pre-ordering (and the apple store saying it was "shipped" before it was released.
Harumph!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2003 10:53      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nitpicky Panther Grrrr... Finder should not look like a brushed metal app... I keep confusing Safari window with the Finder window.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 08, 2003 11:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I installed Panther on Nitro's original Blueberry iBook... wasn't much room on there, but it squeezed on... and runs nicely!

300mhz PPC, 160 RAM.

mmmmm Safari on Blueberry

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2003 16:08      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh? My bro has a graphite ibook (inherited from sister), maybe I'll be so kind to install it on that [Smile]
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2003 16:46      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going to install it on our iBook 500 for testing. I'm not going to install it on our dev machines until we've finished ToySight. It's more than likely stable enough, but I don't want to risk changing any headers before finishing the project [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2003 21:10      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only have a few gripes about Panther. The eject button on my keyboard doesn't work or my sound level keys since installing Panther. Also, I liked having the favorites in the menu bar. It's more convienient than having to open a window. Which brings me to expose. I'm not sure if I like it. I wouldn't mind having a window with my hard drive items open all the time and then hidden with expose, but any time I open up an app or another window it pops back out. I don't like that. I've raised the white flag about the brushed metal interface stuff. Might as well get used to it because I have a feeling everything's going to be that way in the future. [ohwell]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2003 21:31            Edit/Delete Post 
At 1st I could not get My Dual 533/G4 to boot off the install disk as it kept going into a Kernel Panic. Turns out the problem is my 2nd video card, an 8 meg ATi Nexus GA circa 1997. Once I pulled the card out it let me install. The issue with older video cards is known I guess. Otherwise install went fine (upgraded on top of 10.2.8). I pulled the ATi XclaimVR 128 out of my 7500 and it works just fine in Panther. I am now bidding on an older XclaimVR card for my 7500 since I can plug the TV tuner that came with the VR 128 into that. I like having a TV in here and now that it's gone I miss it (the TV tuner won't work in OSX and even if it did my G4 does not have "sound in").
IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2003 17:18      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been running Panther for a week or so now. I was not tempted to turn on FileVault and my external HD is fine so I have not been bitten by either of those cockups. At the moment

I love

the speed of the new Finder, and the way it works is just better

Expose

and cumulative effect of the load of other small changes everywhere in it.

I am not crazy about the metal that seems to be creeping over so much of the interface.

and am niggled by

Fast User Switching slows my iMac with 512 RAM almost to a standstill and is hence unusable.

I do not like the changes to the "connect to server" dialogues. Under Jaguar my other Mac would just appear in the dialog box. This no longer happens - why (security perhaps)? I can select it from the recent servers button, so you don't have to type in the IP address more than once, but the change does appear to be counter intuitive and retrograde.

All in all well worth the money.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 10, 2003 13:21      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do not use file vault untill it's fixed... it will fubar the data.

Also if you have a FW 800 device, please for the sake of your data, update your firmware... this is for those using the oxford 922 Chipset. Oxford made a booboo and has anounced a fix. Please visit your manufacturer website for firmware patch. Other than these issues panther is ok.... BTW please activate your software update as there have been two security updates since release. Hope to see 10.3.1 by next week

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2003 13:26      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact... OS X 10.3.1 has just been released. yay!

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2003 23:29      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dammit!
I'm *still* waiting for the 10.3 update CD...
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Stoopid postal service...
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 00:36      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
Dammit!
I'm *still* waiting for the 10.3 update CD...
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Stoopid postal service...
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Yes, I heard that Apple changed their distribution center from Luxembourg to the Netherland or maybe vice versa; all I know is the copy we're expecting turned up in German Customs, because it was sent from Switzerland, which isn't a member of the EU. Consequently because the package cost more than 22 EURO, (24.95 EUR for shipping), they wanted whatever import duty they impose. My colleague explained the situation and I believe now the only thing he's waiting on is the postal service...
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 02:47      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it finally arrived for me yesterday (10th Nov), and I upgraded last night. Not had much time to do stuff with it, but it seems a bit faster. I think might just be the time it takes dialogue boxes to appear.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture