homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Panther!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Panther!
Mindzeye5
Geek Apprentice
Member # 978

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted October 24, 2003 10:15      Profile for Mindzeye5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up my up-to-date copy of Panther from the campus mail room, several hours ahead of 8 pm tonight. I also remember getting Jaguar in the mail early and I installed it right away, actually I was installing while waiting in a mall to get into the Jaguar party. Unfortunately, now that I am in Pittsburgh and without a car, I cannot make it to an Apple Store. After the 10.2.8 fiasco, I am reluctant to install right away, and when I do should I upgrade or archive and install? I just got this fresh, hot 15" PB, so I am not going to wipe the HD.
So please let me know if it hoses your system and shoots your dog.

Happy Panther Partying to those of you lucky enough to get to an Apple Store.

--------------------
To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub...

http://24.4.195.179/ hardcore geeks don't need domain names

Posts: 46 | From: Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2003 22:14      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mindzeye5:
Happy Panther Partying to those of you lucky enough to get to an Apple Store.

That'd be me. [Big Grin] Got some nice Panther dog tags from the store. Certainly a different gift than the normal tshirts for these sort of events.

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2003 01:54      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for the upgrade CD (CD's?) to be mailed to me - in the meantime, would my fellow GC-ers who've moved to Panther like to let me know how their upgrades went?

Being naturally pessimistic (too many years using Windoze) I'm interested to know if the upgrading process went OK; if you had any problems (& if so, how you fixed them), etc etc...

I've upgraded all the Macs at work through the many various iterations of OS 10.2 and everything has been fine, but this will be the first upgrade I do from 10.2 to 10.3, hence my curiosity.

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2003 02:03      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arrggghhhh!!!

Just spotted this thread:

http://www.geekculture.com/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001491;p=1#000001

WTF, I just want to know how the upgrades to 10.3 are going, post where you like (I know I do [Wink] )

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2003 17:24      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's working well for me so far.

It is faster, and expose and fast user switching are both extremely cooooooool.

worth the money

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mindzeye5
Geek Apprentice
Member # 978

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted October 25, 2003 17:33      Profile for Mindzeye5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went ahead and installed and it's great, no troubles at all. Exposť and fast user switching are just too cool, I may never get work done again, oh well.

Just one thing... they changed the Finder icon. I did not notice it at first, but when I did, it was shocking. He has a bigger nose, bigger eyes, and a bigger smile. It will take some time to get habituated to him staring at me with those big eyes.

--------------------
To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub...

http://24.4.195.179/ hardcore geeks don't need domain names

Posts: 46 | From: Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mongoose
Geek
Member # 1991

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 08:03      Profile for mongoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can we get a screen shot? Perhaps I could do some hacking to get the icon out of Jaguar, post it on the site, and you guys could fix that little problem... [Wink]

-Mongoose!

--------------------
"information superhighway" is just an anagram for "i'm on a huge wispy rhino fart". - www.bsd.org

Posts: 141 | From: There's a NEW Jersey? | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 09:54      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Candybar to change all my system icons. Maybe you could find something you like better at the Iconfactory while you're there.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted October 26, 2003 10:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 14:39      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I use Candybar to change all my system icons. Maybe you could find something you like better at the Iconfactory while you're there.
I use candybar too, but I find that x icons is better for icons. I have hal as my finder icon...
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2003 23:22      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snaggy: Love that icon! Guess that'll be my first customisation when Panther arrives (Apple tell me they've shipped the CD('s)...
[Smile]

Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2003 16:31      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CD('s): Three install discs, one developer disc.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2003 18:01      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mongoose:
Can we get a screen shot? Perhaps I could do some hacking to get the icon out of Jaguar, post it on the site, and you guys could fix that little problem... [Wink]

-Mongoose!

http://s88415841.onlinehome.us/panther

There are some screenshots of expose off my iBook.

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2003 18:24      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden:
quote:
Originally posted by mongoose:

-Mongoose!

http://s88415841.onlinehome.us/panther

There are some screenshots of expose off my iBook.

Yo, dude.
I can't get Gaim to build under panther!
Can you be so kind as to tar yours up and send it over?

Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2003 18:39      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you just want the binary for gaim?

--------------------

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2003 18:48      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden:
Do you just want the binary for gaim?

yeah, and if it has any supporting gaim libs that i wouldn't have, can you send those too?
thanks [Smile]

addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2003 23:38      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
me wantie too me wantie too!! [Razz]

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture