homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » LOTR:Return Of The King Trailer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LOTR:Return Of The King Trailer
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 29, 2003 10:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seen first on /., see the good news for yourself [Smile] .
I'd make a nicer post of this, but I'm playing the 'sick' card, and well, I'm mainly posting this for at least one person who's been curious to know about this.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/09/29/1047207&mode=thread&tid=188&tid=199&tid=97

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2003 11:59      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yahooo that rocked

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2003 12:20      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that was orgasmic, not nearly as much as revolutions , but im dying to see both! thanks dman

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2003 13:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, now I think I should actually find my way to a machine with QuickTime and actually see the trailer - I'm hesistant to watch the Matrix one, as I don't quite want the spoilers...(and I felt that the trailers for Reloaded killed a thing or two for me).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2003 03:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks awesome !
Roll on Dec 17.

btw - did anyone see the slashdot article the other day?
WETA just bought another warehouse full of servers for their render farm, 10 weeks shy of the scheduled release date. Sounds like they're running late.

Lets hope they make it on time.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2003 09:00      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to find a computer that has Quicktime, speakers, and an internet connection. Harder than it sounds, but soon I shall finally have DSL.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2003 09:50      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you don't need quicktime, mplayer has all the support you need to play that movie. I know, because I've been able to see it. :)
Posts: 71 | From: UmeŚ, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2003 09:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wise guy :-P. She's mostly stuck in a world of Windows PCs that she doesn't have control over, and so that's really not an option. Besides, mplayer is fraught with legal ickiness...

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2003 16:52      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Besides, mplayer is fraught with legal ickiness...

It is? Well, maybe it's not technically "legal" to use Windows DLL's from other products to play movies, but why shouldn't one be able to watch movies on Linux etc without having to reboot?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2003 17:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I mainly refer to it w.r.t. being open source. There are things in mplayer that just aren't open source, and/or shouldn't be in there. Making some kind of front-end to DLLs via WINE is okay (like Codeweaver's Crossover plugin does), but packaging other companies' DLLs without their permission is not okay, even if they're freely available. (Crossover will download the free installer off the page, or in some cases, have you download it, if you need to accept anything, and then run the Windows installer, and take it from there, causing you to accept this software as the company expects, click-through license and all.)

--------------------

G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2003 17:59      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right. How many people are going to a marathon event the day the third movie is released?

--------------------
For large values of one, one equals two, for small values of two.

Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2003 18:08      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if theres one in my area and i can convince my mother to let me go i would probably

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2003 19:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by G-3PO:
Right. How many people are going to a marathon event the day the third movie is released?

Definitely not.

I want to enjoy ROTK, after sitting through 6 hours of LOTR before ROTK started, I'm pretty sure I'd be in no fit state to enjoy it.

I'll watch the first 2 on DVD in the week before, just to refresh my memory.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2003 23:32      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by G-3PO:

Or how about LOTR and TT extended editions back to back, followed by the third movie.

Should be a fun weekend [Smile]

iCoach
Geek
Member # 2141

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2003 08:13      Profile for iCoach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, the big speculation question...

Who thinks they are going to cut the movie short and leave out the end?

The books have a nice place to end, but continue on with some "further adventures". And they have already taken some "liberties" with the story-line... Who thinks they'll cut out the very end... Trying not to spoil anything for those who haven't read the books.

-Coach

--------------------
Never upset a goalie - getting punched with a blocker is not a pleasant experience - facemask or not.

Posts: 164 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 10 posted October 01, 2003 09:47      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I'm on an LOTR e-mail list and they send me the commercial links when it comes out. So I am dowloading it in large format on my laptop and watching it when it finally finishes downloading! [Big Grin]

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2003 10:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by iCoach:

The books have a nice place to end, but continue on with some "further adventures". And they have already taken some "liberties" with the story-line... Who thinks they'll cut out the very end... Trying not to spoil anything for those who haven't read the books.

-Coach

The final events in the Shire are out. That went public long ago. I just hope we get to see the White Ship sail.

I also hope i get to see the ****ing trailer. Grrr.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
iCoach
Geek
Member # 2141

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2003 11:44      Profile for iCoach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

-Coach

The final events in the Shire are out. That went public long ago. I just hope we get to see the White Ship sail.

I also hope i get to see the ****ing trailer. Grrr.

Ok, I don't follow movie information like others do, so I wasn't sure. But I have to say, "That sucks." Pretty much bam ring destroyed, end of movie? Crap... I hope the ship sails though, but they'll probably chop that too... Simply based on the fact that the rin gis more central to the movie than it is to the book.

The book covers more of the intresting stuff, like Aragorn returning, the significance of Faramir etc... The movie on the other hand is ALL about the ring - of course with little snippets about other things, but they don't build them up enough...

-Coach

--------------------
Never upset a goalie - getting punched with a blocker is not a pleasant experience - facemask or not.

Posts: 164 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2003 11:49      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's all for another movie. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2003 15:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The movie on the other hand is ALL about the ring

No, no, no !

The movie is all about Arwen.

<homer>
Hmmm.... Arwen ......
</homer>

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2003 15:12      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
/me patiently waits for his ADSL to be activated so he can see the trailer

Arwen (Liv Tyler) is darn hot, but so is Eowyn (Miranda Otto). Plus she's an Aussie, so there's a natural advantage [Wink] Maybe they can just fight over me </dream>

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2003 16:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

Arwen (Liv Tyler) is darn hot, but so is Eowyn (Miranda Otto). Plus she's an Aussie, so there's a natural advantage [Wink] Maybe they can just fight over me </dream>

Remember in 'A fish called Wanda', when Jamie Curtis goes all weak at the knees when John Cleese speaks Russian?

Well, Arwen speaking Elvish has that effect on me, drool...........

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2003 17:48      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

Remember in 'A fish called Wanda', when Jamie Curtis goes all weak at the knees when John Cleese speaks Russian?

Well, Arwen speaking Elvish has that effect on me, drool...........

Yes, that's not bad. My two favourite LOTR scenes involving women are the "if you want him, come and claim him", and the "what do you fear, my lady" response. Both very spirited, wow! [Smile]

I can however see a parody just waiting to happen, with the Arwen dream sequence in TT.

Aragorn: "This is a dream"
Arwen: "Then it is a wet dream"
Aragorn (looks down) Doh!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2003 19:03      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
if theres one in my area and i can convince my mother to let me go i would probably

Party at AnyoneEB's! :-D

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture