homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Oh, crap.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh, crap.
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2003 21:17      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/6691478.htm

**cough**OCP**cough**

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2003 00:18      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow a school with money although misplaced, it's about time. Maybe they'll teach kids how to use M$'s products and not just click on everything that randomly pops up. But wait, then I'd be out of a job.....

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2003 00:21      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a Microsoft story that I hope will unravel in a more interesting way. There is a chance that the courts may force the old whore of Babylon to lift her skirts a tad. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2003 00:55      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just concerned by the propaganda that M$ is going to be force-feeding these kids as part of their "education."

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
Geek ID# 1162

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2003 02:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The school, yet unnamed, is set to open in Sept. 2006, but district chief executive officer Paul G. Vallas said today that he hopes to have it ready a year earlier.

a) I'ts a Microsoft school, they'll be lucky to be open for 2008.

b) May I suggest a name? "Linus Torvalds High School"

btw - is there any truth to the rumour that they'll have 3 recess breaks a day, because the sysadmin needs to get everyone outside while he re-boots the school.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2003 02:32      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you heard wrong.
. . .
. . .
Six recesses.

--------------------
-Bruce Tognazzini
Geek ID# 1162

kevx45
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2255

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2003 11:18      Profile for kevx45   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you sure it wasn't eight?

Kev

--------------------
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky- pink floyd
www.ultimatealchemy.com

Posts: 37 | From: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2003 15:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any bets on how long it'll be until some kid unleashes a virus and shuts down the school for the day [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2003 17:34      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any bets on how long it'll be until some kid unleashes a virus and shuts down the school for the day [Big Grin]
This school should open and be able to runthe next version of vindoze right as it come out. It'll be the most secure ever! HA!]

[ohwell] it's kinda sad really.....

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mongoose
Geek
Member # 1991

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2003 21:05      Profile for mongoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To... close... to... home... just... accross... river... no... gaging... feel like protesting... they are buying schools... NO!!!

-mongoose

Posts: 141 | From: There's a NEW Jersey? | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted September 11, 2003 04:39      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's late, but I found this at fark and thought i'd post it for those that dont read there often: http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=640367
Some funny submissions, enjoy.

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2003 05:10      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This school should open and be able to run the next version of vindoze right as it come out. It'll be the most secure ever! HA!]

Yeah, but they'll have to upgrade the roof first...
Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2003 17:34      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the sort of *&^% that really annoys me about MS. People go through their education like this, and they come out with the idea "Everyone uses Microsoft, there are no alternatives". Faustian pacts always have a drawback waiting at the other end.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
shlide
Newbie Larva
Member # 1751

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2003 05:29      Profile for shlide     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and yet I've never heard anybody berate Apple for it's history of selling computers to public schools at such a discount that they were probably cheaper than chalkboards (perhaps slightly exaggerated for effect). [devil wand]

I say Down with computers in schools! It gives kids the advantage over us adults! They'll think everything is computerized! The horror of it all.

xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2003 06:16      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look a little deeper at this story, it's telling how much Microsoft thinks you need to have to suppport a Microsoft effort like this. Millions for support? Full-time onsite support techs?

If MS insists on making this an all MS shop, the beauty of this is they have no one else to point fingers at when anything goes wrong.

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2003 01:07      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by shlide:
I say Down with computers in schools! It gives kids the advantage over us adults! They'll think everything is computerized!

Yeah, but it also gets them used to the fact that they're going to have to use out-dated hardware a lot. My old high school is still using the same computers it bought when I was a sophomore, way back in '96. Yup, they're using PII, 266 MHz, 64 MB of RAM Compaqs[Nelson]Haha![/Nelson], running 95. Oh yeah, and most of them are still running the original OS install. I was up there yesterday, setting up the first Drama Club meeting of the year, and watching my old AP US History teacher try to forward a mail to the principal. From the time she turned the system on, to the time that Outlook acknowledged the message sent, approximately seven minutes had passed. I've rarely seen an app take a minute and a half to open up, and actually make it, and not just time out. . .

--------------------
-Bruce Tognazzini
Geek ID# 1162

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture