homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » The geekiest - nerdiest - coolest thing you've ever done? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The geekiest - nerdiest - coolest thing you've ever done?
The Video Nerds
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2329

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted August 05, 2003 03:33      Profile for The Video Nerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are thinking of making a TV show (in the UK) about the greatest achievments by geeks. Such as...
The fastest over-clocking ever seen.
The most obscure bit of hardware ever built.
Have you changed a mac into a fishtank (or something better)?
Or have you changed a fishtank into a computer?

Let us know. At the moment the TV guys think that this sort of thing doesn't go on. They think that the only way to be cool is surf and skateboard. I say blasting a rocket up half a mile into the sky is pretty bloody cool actually. Help us out if you can with more of your own stories!

Ta

Tim

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 03:48      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing so glam - but my computer is a dog...

How much do we get paid for our contributions to your TV show?

[evil] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 04:57      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once stalked Esther Dyson. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 05:24      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Winona jealous? Or was that while she was, um...busy. [Razz]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 06:22      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is certainly not the height in geekiness, but it was pretty funky at the time.

In the 70's I rigged up a remote yelling device. It was "the old days" when we had a machine room with an operator and tape drives. If you wanted to use a tape, your JCL would mention it by number and a message would appear on the operator console so they could find it on the rack and mount it on the drive. The problem was that the operator often was talking on the phone in his little office, and never bothered to look at the console. You would wait about 10 minutes, try calling him, getting a busy signal, and eventually have to go down a few flights to mount the tape yourself.

We had a Votrax text-to-speech box leftover from some dead project. It had a serial input and a speaker and did a fair job of saying whatever you sent it. I hooked it up as a printer and cranked the volumne all the way up. Anytime I wanted to get the operator's attention, I would just print what I wanted to say and it would blast it all over the computer room.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 08:26      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i haven't done anything too thrilling in the geek sector, but a friend created a program that took 3d shapes and translated the points into musical notes to create the sounds of spheres and spiral staircases and such. I could give you the person's contact information, provided that you show that your cause is legit.
Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 10:18      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well....there was this one time.....at band camp...

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autodidact
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2279

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 10:54      Profile for Autodidact     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Video Nerds:
We are thinking of making a TV show (in the UK) about the greatest achievments by geeks. Such as...

My best obscure geek reference:

A friend of mine does a monthly comedy show here in Boston called The Geek Council. He gets four geeks up on stage and we all opine on various subjects. Usually about various geeky things (comics, movies, tv) and generally snarking the hell out of all of them.

The topic at the time was Ben Affleck as Daredevil (this was before the movie came out, mind you.) One of the other panelists was bitching about how terrible a choice we was for the part, how he'd never done anything good except for the Kevin Smith movies, etc. when I chimed in with...

"Yeah, but Affleck was the bomb in "Phantoms", yo."

Brought down the house. Not too many audiences you can use that joke on, though.

Come to think of it, I can probably dust it off for talking about Gigli now too. Go me! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 11:14      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Autodidact-
where is this place in Boston that you speak of? i live in boston, and it sounds like something i would like to see

FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 16:39      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't do geeky things... ummm erhhh maybe I should rephrase that. I don't do anything that isn't somewhat geeky.

List of somewhat geeky things

Built my own computer
Did a thing called Bible Quizzing and went to nationals once (kinda long story)
Getting an MIS degree (not even the CS students have the balls to do that Business geek and CS geek all in one.)
Fixed the vacume cleaner myself (today)
Played an old MMORPG called 10six for 48 hours straight once (had to stop due to splitting headache from too much caffine and sugar and no realy food.

Well ok so nothing terribly geeky going on for me

--------------------
What a complete and utter waste of time to read my Signature don't you think?

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 05, 2003 17:42      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one time I setup a web server on my dialup and used ssh to login to a remote shell account at my ISP where I then fired up lynx and browsed back into my box to see my own webpage!

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 22:14      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is slightly off-topic, but I think a *better* show would be reality TV dating for geeks. Like that PoS show "Elimidate" but for people with IQs higher than ground squirrels and personalities that outshine the members of MTV's "The Real World." It would be cool. We could call it "Eliminerd" and geeks would vy for other geeks' attention using such time honored mating rituals as competitive Rubix cube solving, coding programs to display love messages, and the like. Wouldn't that be TV worth watching?

Seriously...call my people. [Wink]

--------------------
Is there any tea on this spaceship?

Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 22:52      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by weensicka:
This is slightly off-topic, but I think a *better* show would be reality TV dating for geeks. Like that PoS show "Elimidate" but for people with IQs higher than ground squirrels and personalities that outshine the members of MTV's "The Real World." It would be cool. We could call it "Eliminerd" and geeks would vy for other geeks' attention using such time honored mating rituals as competitive Rubix cube solving, coding programs to display love messages, and the like. Wouldn't that be TV worth watching?

Seriously...call my people. [Wink]

Would the physical challenge consist of carrying 17" CRTs from one LAN party to another? Count me in. [Smile]

Geekiest thing I've ever done? Quiz Bowl. nuff said...

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 23:10      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we get to vote off the aim-botting/wallhacking/camping players, then that sounds fine [Smile] BTW, isn't 17" a bit small for a monitor these days (yes, yes, size doesn't matter, etc [Wink] )
Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Video Nerds
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2329

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 08:00      Profile for The Video Nerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the.... suggestions. I felt a bit out of my depth posting but it has kicked off a fair amount of discussion.
Shame Boston's a bit far for us to travel to.
Is there anywhere else (real or virtual) that I should check out. I quite liked the overclockers and their one-up-manship style antics. But what else?
Are there any legends or fables out there - the biggest this that or whatever - the most number of people ever to...
Seriously though - what would people really think to a geek dating show. What would be the criteria?
Lastly. Like the Graemlins - but what the hell is this [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] and how should I use it?

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 08:47      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Video Nerds: I... us...
Not nit-picking, just curious: are you singular or plural IRL?

"Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" (Emerson)

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 09:40      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Create a T.V. show that monitors the destructive powers of slashdot at work...I'd love to be able to watch as a server is brought to its knees. [evil]

--------------------
For large values of one, one equals two, for small values of two.

Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 09:50      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
are you singular or plural IRL?
Must be singular. There's not much room in a Single-Celled Newbie for multiple personalities. [Wink]

I've often wondered about the Bearded Graemlin myself.

The geeky things I've done are probably not worth putting on a TV show (commenting on the W3C specs is not a spectator sport). But I think some of the most interesting geeky things I've seen on /. are the case mods. For example, the Hello Kitty laptop.

Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 06, 2003 10:09      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, this didn't personally happen to me but I thought it was the funniest thing ever. At a quiz bowl competition, this girl answered some computer question and after the round, a guy from the other team decided to go over to her to chat. (That'd be me interested too [Wink] ) Anyway, they were talking for a bit and this came up:

quote:
She asked him if he uses Slackware on his machine. He answered, "Why of course. Slackware is the oldest, tried and tested, and most reliable!" The girl's eyes lit up as she said "Real men use Slackware!"
I don't know why I thought that was so funny, but I've had that in my AIM profile ever since. [Smile]

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 13:38      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seriously though - what would people really think to a geek dating show. What would be the criteria?

Well, I think you could model a geek dating show after a lot of the dating schlock that's on right now, except the contestants would be *interesting* and not rejects from the cast of Bikini Car Wash III (not like I've ever seen that or anything...)

I like the criteria suggested so far for elimination rounds and such. Other good things might be: I.D. that Shakespearean sonnet, or something like the contestant that *didn't* elect to suck a jello shot out of a girl's navel would win the round out of sheer decency.

quote:
Lastly. Like the Graemlins - but what the hell is this [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] and how should I use it?

Umm...I believe it's a Peter Gabriel head and you use it to be kewl (but I could be wrong).
Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 15:12      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are people who've beat minesweeper in just over 40 seconds. that's fairly legendary.
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 15:20      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] represents the oath "By the Beard of Peter Gabriel!" It takes the place of using Yay! or any other exclaimation of hapiness or coolness. Inspired by a JoT a while back, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now. Also an answer to a poll question in the Superfan Clubhouse. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 16:17            Edit/Delete Post 
Joy of Tech #393 seems to be the one in question (thanks to the JoyBase for finding that :)
IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 05:55      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just look in every single computer science class in every UK University !

Best Ive doen apart from programmign is to wear my Tux top to as many metal gigs as possible [Smile]

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2003 06:30      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are there any legends or fables out there - the biggest this that or whatever - the most number of people ever to...

Look around on slashdot for a while, and you'll see some recurring themes which would align well with your goals. Among them are: beowulf clusters of unlikely computing elements (Furbys, or laser printers, ...), world's smallest web server, most unlikely Linux port ("I got Linux to run on my wrist watch!"), most unlikely computer power source ("web server powered by potato"), etc.

Real footage of someone demonstrating a potato- or lemon-powered web server would be quite nifty.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture