homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » easy cheap meals? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: easy cheap meals?
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 31, 2003 17:54      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone got an receipes to share for quick, cheap and easy meals?

Here is mine:

Chicken Taragon

heat oven to 350

put chicken breast, roasted garlic cloves and fresh tarragon into alumimun foil-

cook for 30-45 minutes or until done

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2003 18:12      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://stonewallcs.com/users/jon/050603dinner/
Take left over pasta, and pre-cooked potatoes
heat a frying pan with a bit of oil
heat another pan with slightly less oil
fill up the first pan with potatoes, add salt, fry untill browned
In the second pan, put in some pre-made cheapo pesto, dice some sundried tomatoes, heat up together
Once the sauce is bubbling, through in the pasta, and cook untill thoroughly cooked.

Serve with barbecue sauce and iced tea.

Mmmmmmm

Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2003 18:50      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 minute drive to wendy's

Order Texas Double Cheeseburger and medium fries from the $.99 menu.

Come home and drink with beverage of choice.

That has kept me alive these past few years...

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 31, 2003 19:11      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the Dinty Moore company makes these sealed meals, that you microwave for about 1:30min and eat. they are non-frozen and taste great, also boilable

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2003 20:19      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 packages Pillsbury crescent rolls.
1 pound of sausage
1 pound of mozerella cheese

Cut up sausage ino little bits.
Brown in skillet
Peal out cresent roll things two at a time, so you end up making rectangles rather than triangles.
Splorch some sausage and cheese onto each rectangle.
Cover with another bit of dough and press around the edges to seal them like a turnover.
Bake for 15 minutes or so, according to the directions on the package.

The kids love it. You wife will nag you about your weight and blood pressure.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2003 21:33      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
open bag.
eat chips.

or
make tuna sandwich

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 10 posted August 01, 2003 03:26            Edit/Delete Post 
haha - cute =p
IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 03:42      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard somewhere that Americans have not heard of Beans on toast- a great british dish.

Heat a tin of heinz baked beans and pour over a couple of slices of hot buttered toast. Yum.

Can be tarted up with chili powder, curry powder, or if you are feeling posh, a fried egg. Can also be done with tinned spaghetti, but best if you get spaghettti hoops for that.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 03:44      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, littlefish - grated cheddar and a bit of freshly ground black pepper.

My fave cheapo nosh - John West mackerel in curry sauce - add to pasta/rice - mix. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 04:41      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Can also be done with tinned spaghetti, but best if you get spaghettti hoops for that.

You mean Spaghetti-O's????

(Don't send the apstrophe society after me, ok?? I didn't name them!) [Wink]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 05:15      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose so. You crazy americans have a different name for everything!
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 05:29      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheap and easy meals are relative. For me cheap and easy would be red beans and rice.

In a hot pot put about two tablespoons of cooking oil. Add a pack of pre-chopped onions, bell pepper and celery, add a table spoon of garlic, cook until onions begin to clear. Add 1 pound of your favorite sausage chopped, cook until done. Add 3 cans of creamy Blue Runner red beans, and a sprinkling of dried parsley, cook for about 1/2 hour. Serve over rice. For those of you that like it spicy add a bit of tobasco.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 05:33      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
No, no, littlefish - grated cheddar and a bit of freshly ground black pepper.

That's similar to how I make breadsticks. Take 4-6 hot dog buns and open them up on a baking sheet. This gives you 8-12 half-buns. On each half-bun, put butter, then whatever spices you want (garlic, for sure), then top with cheese. Bake.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 05:58      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greycat, I'm pretty sure spungo means cheese on top of the beans. Myself I can never be bothered with grating cheese or washing up the grater. There are many other crazy beans on toast "improvements" - some people even add HP sauce to it. Another person I know adds salt- as if there isn't enough already.
Great arguments can be had down a british pub about the best way to make beans on toast- for me it's more about the toast than the beans, so I like a double layer of toast, loads of butter, and just enough beans to cover the toast and have a few slide off the sides. Most people prefer a single toast layer, with a complete covering of beans.

Either way is good, but my way is best.

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 06:17      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, those were the days... I lived on baked beans when I were a student... mainly as it was the only thing I could cook - and, more importantly - the campus's marauding food theives wouldn't bother to nick tins of Heinz. (Did you ever get food thieves in halls? We did - how low-down and scummy can you get? They used to wait until about 4 in the morning and then raid every kitchen they could, mainly nicking pints of milk, bread, butter - whatever. We caught one once - turned out to be a chick - and a posh chick at that - Daddy used to pick her up for country drives every weekend in his Merc. What were we talking about again???... )

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 06:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
...Most people prefer a single toast layer, with a complete covering of beans.

Either way is good, but my way is best.

Myehhh... as long as the toast isn't falling apart in its own beany sogginess - the toast definitely has to remain firm.

--------------------

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 06:21      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never lived in halls, had a uni flat in first year. We had problems with the washing up. Over the year we had a few pet moulds that we grew. Our parties were legendary, although the emergency services always seemd to put a dampner on things. Another highlight of the first year (it's relevant!) was that the chippy across the way did a half-pizza (battered and deep-fried) with chips for £1.50. You can't argue with that kind of value. I'm sure it's pretty much the greatest amount of calories per pound (money) that there is.
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 06:58      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] It doesn't look like anybody's really answered addiew's question as she intended. Unfortunately, I'm not much help; I'm a terrible cook with a small, boring repetoire. Mostly I use "Robert's Universal Recipe": Cut ingredients into bite-sized pieces and heat until edible.

I trust you already know the familiar stand-by's (spaghetti, hamburger, omelette, stir-fried anything, etc.). (By the way, "stand-by's" is, curiously, a word that seems simply to have no correct spelling. Snupy, do you have an opinion?)

I guess you know how to make a quickie pizza from french bread, tomato sauce, grated cheese, and ad lib toppings.

I recently learned that you can microwave many kinds of fish. Try this: chop a little red onion, mix it with mayo and dill weed, smear this on top of a piece of salmon, and nuke for about 3 minutes.

Next time you win a lottery, allow me to suggest that you invest in an electronic rice cooker. Unfortunately, one is a bit steep (35 - 50 USD), but the lazy gourmet will quickly learn to love it. Just wash off the rice, dump it in the pot with some water, plug it in, and 20 minutes later you have rice. "Rice?!" you say, "That's not very sexy." Indeed, but with rice you are halfway there to red beans and rice, chicken and rice, rice and steamed veggies, fish with rice ... the possibilities are limitless.

Here's a quickie that is not a main dish, but adds pizazz to an otherwise lackluster meal of, say, meatloaf or something. Lightly sauté sliced mushrooms, then add sour cream, lemon juice, and dill weed; heat and serve. You can add onions to the 'shrooms, or even things like yellow squash or zucchini.

Well, there's always pop corn, but I can never remember if it's supposed to be red wine or white with that.

Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 08:34      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 - Spaghettti Hoops ?!?!?!  -
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 08:40      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
 - Spaghettti Hoops ?!?!?!  -

At least our culinary culture doesn't stop at Kraft dinner, Moose burgers and fried baloney sandwiches. [Wink]

--------------------

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 01, 2003 08:45      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or back bacon. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 08:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KD Rules.....rumour has it, you are having some 'imported' next month.

FYI, since we 'forced you out' of the country as a small child I can let you know we now have baloney in the 3D shape of a roasted turkey.....Perfect for the festive season.

You will never know the taste of baloney gravy across the pond.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 08:53      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
KD Rules.....rumour has it, you are having some 'imported' next month.

- There is a God after all!  -

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 08:58      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Or back bacon. [Big Grin]

You know what.....I don't even know WTF back bacon is.

Here is the low down on bacon in Canada.

It comes in 1 pound pre-cut strips which is eaten at almost every meal, sometimes as a midnite snack and suitable as a wedding gift in most parts of the country.

Then we have the more 'up scale' Peameal Bacon ($15/Kg [Eek!] ), which comes in a *ahem* log rolled in dried ground corn an is reserved for special ocassions like when the Leafs win the Stanley cup, or the Queen visits, or Bush finds those kooky WMD

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2003 09:09      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe you're Canadian and don't know what back bacon is. Haven't you seen Strange Brew? Doug and Bob MacKenzie are always having Molson and back bacon. We call it Canadian Bacon here in the US. It's round and it really tastes more like ham than bacon. Don't know where the name back bacon came from. Here's Doug and Bob talking about it in The Hoser .
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture