homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » It exists! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: It exists!
TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 07:41      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunatly, no they're not mine. I found them somewhere . . .
Posts: 81 | From: Behind a coffee cup | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 08:58            Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, well, I'll take them anyhow :P

I have you beat, though, on size:

-

A cute threading problem with the Finder - I picked the Gather option from the Magic Menu, and it appeared to do nothing. Then I tried Get More Info (don't ask me why, too long ago now), and I got that. Gather had moved the file, but the UI thread had not noticed yet, or something, so I was selecting Get More Info on an icon representing a file that was no longer there.

IP: Logged
TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted June 21, 2003 00:23      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I saw a laughable screen in Windoze. I'll try to recreate it and take a screenshot. You'd enjoy it.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2003 19:51            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'll give ya another then :)

It was one thing that this error message wasn't even true...
 -
[shake head] [crazy]

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2003 07:22      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Mozilla 1.3, on HP-UX 10.20, in FVWM. Shortly after middle-clicking a hyperlink from a different thread in this forum.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2003 09:19      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
My favorite is we got a snipit of code for something or other from the T.A., and the lecturer showed it to us in the class... The error message was "This will never print."

Been there, got the T-shirt. Around 1988, I wrote a this line of code in a system I was building at a client's site.
printf("This should never happen. Call QF. Fuck, fuck, fuck!\n");

Well, about 5 years later, I get a call from my friend there, inquiring about that exact message. Fortunatly, the person who received it thought it was pretty funny, so they did pay me to come back to fix the problem.

greycat: You have to use HP-UX. I feel your pain.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 10 posted June 26, 2003 14:25            Edit/Delete Post 
Greycat:
Oh wow, that's sweet! *smacks forehead on browser's behalf*
(as always, mind if I add that one to my collection?)

quantumfluff:
Not sure I've ever done that - I just used ... certain people's names as test data in apps ;P

[Edit:
Is this scrollbar up or down?]

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2003 07:34      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can do whatever you like with that image. If I didn't want people to see it and use it, I wouldn't have put it on a web server. [Smile]

HP-UX isn't that bad, once you install enough Free software on it. The only thing I really miss, that I can't easily replace, is POSIX threads (but HP-UX 11 has them, or something close enough). Second place goes to Linux's /proc pseudo file system. Apart from that, I've got mozilla (even if it crashes too often and isn't up to date; I can't compile it myself[1]), gcc, bash, perl, OpenSSH, lsof, ncurses, mutt, vim, qmail, fvwm, rxvt, and so on.

[1] And yes, I've tried, using gcc 3.2. It gets this far:
code:
os_HPUX.s: Assembler messages:
os_HPUX.s:35: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored character is `W'
os_HPUX.s:48: Error: The .ENTER pseudo-op is not supported
os_HPUX.s:52: Error: The .LEAVE pseudo-op is not supported

I didn't feel like trying to learn HP assembly language, and two different syntaxes, to try to figure out what the hell they're doing here. Probably they wrote code for HP's native assembler, and gcc is using gas (GNU as).
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2003 20:51      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have you beat, though, on size:
Ah, but I've got you beat on time!

-

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2003 21:32            Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, Microsoft have brought about a new unit of wait time, the megaminute. Also known as "a bloody long time" :) Hmm... if Microsoft programmers are this bad at maths, it's a wonder that Excel works at all =)

I think this has to be one of the silliest bugs I've seen:
 -

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2003 23:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A compiler I used back in the age of pedal-powered computers had this beauty...

Error 999 - compiler confused. Change something and try again.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2003 11:46            Edit/Delete Post 
oh wow... now that's useful... ;)
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2003 12:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got this gem today:
 -

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 2 posted July 29, 2003 12:27            Edit/Delete Post 
They just don't try, do they?

But that's the Microsoft approach, I guess - meaningless error. Apple take a different approach - be perfectly specific about the cause of the problem, only they quote it numerically. Premature EOF? "-39". Out of memory? "25".

Today's gem of mine was, IIRC, "-50". Could not copy my files onto my Zip disc (in 10.1.5) because of -50. Sheez. Does it think I'm a walking error code database? (I should have taken a pic ;)

More irritating was finding that an attempt to copy the contents of Steve's Zip disc onto a G4 iMac (we tried two) would freeze it - spinning beachball of death. All hail 10.1.5... w00tness... [shake head]

Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2003 02:27      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps we should make a game out of all this. The object would be to get the most rediculous message possible. Something of the caliber of uilleann's pic with the All Your Base/Zero Wing reference.

Anyhow, the messages posted so far are great! Thank you for sharing these with us uilleann et all. [Big Grin]

-Shadow
Press Cntrl-alt-del to continue...

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2003 11:48      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to have a printer that would spew every so often... That is, instead of printing what you told it to print it would print stuff like:
"Offending command put:
hungerumlet
dotaccent
dotlessy"
and several more pages of strange words (if you ket it keep printing)...

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2003 20:43            Edit/Delete Post 
hehe.

Hmm... I don't think computers like me. My Mac can no longer see the wood for the trees, so to speak:
 -

Not the kind of exotic error that Shadow was after, but altogether idiotic. My theory is that MP3 Rage took an extended ASCII char in the filename and turned it into <ETH>, making the filename longer than the 31-char limit that most Mac apps have (the HFS+ file system allows 255 chars).

Although I'm missing 7 chars from the name (" Change") and <ETH> is only 5. So I don't know what it did. I'm going to have to repair the drive later to sort this mess out.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture