homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » It exists! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: It exists!
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 10 posted May 24, 2003 20:05            Edit/Delete Post 
It does exist!

Yes, the fabled computing myth is found to no longer be a myth - the following is a genuine error message:

-

I swear that it was not my fault though ;-)

IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2003 00:35      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it's because my experience with macs is limited to being able to go around all the system blocks in fifth grade, but.. I don't get it (o.o)

[devil wand]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2003 11:45            Edit/Delete Post 
Macs? No, that's not a Mac, it's my palmtop. And an OS crash dialog for the MP3 player - the funny part is the actual error displayed.
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2003 16:12      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2003 17:51            Edit/Delete Post 
hm. evidently not funny. *shrugs*

its funny, i wsa looking at someone's eror messages/bugs page recently and was crying wth laughter, some raelly funny stuff. Seeing Win32 booted into 320x200 was marvellous.

It seems like this is a suvject that most people dont find amusing, from general experience over time with people.

Shuravi
Geek Larva
Member # 1690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2003 20:05      Profile for Shuravi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, this is actually quite funny. Some people just don't get it though.
Posts: 26 | From: The dark side of the Spoon | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 07:22            Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... *shrugs and walks away*
Matt Mayers
Discontinued

Icon 14 posted May 27, 2003 07:42            Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was halarious... It reminds me of thinkgeek's "It must be user error" shirt.
Fixerbob
Alpha Geek
Member # 1587

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted May 27, 2003 13:11      Profile for Fixerbob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and what could all those user error reasons be, I wonder? How many more are there ? I could think of a potential list, but I have blanked at the moment [blush]
Posts: 301 | From: London, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 19:53            Edit/Delete Post 
Code is the name that goes with the number, which is always capitalised. The most common crash code I've seen is "KERN-EXEC", whatever that means (sort of "kiss your app byebye" I guess) - that might be number 3. Code "EIKON" is number 5 - EIKON being the window server in the OS.

There are all sorts of wacky error messages out there - just when I mention pages about them, no-one seems to share my liking for them.

[Edit: How about:
 -
...?]

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 23:39      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is we got a snipit of code for something or other from the T.A., and the lecturer showed it to us in the class... The error message was "This will never print." Through all our development, and such, we never ran into it. We had to walk the Prof. through the software we wrote (him pretending to be the client (to learn enough about our UI to test the beast)) and low and behold, on the walk through... "This will never print" ... He immedatly informs us of how that message isn't very useful to us or the user...

The lessons:
1.) The T.A.'s code will always fail at some point, so test it too.
2.) Do the walk through before you do the walk through.
3.) We still got a good grade on it, (and I think him and the T.A. laughed about it, seems other groups ran into the same problem) so if in doubt, blame the T.A.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2003 00:44            Edit/Delete Post 
The "you will never see this error" probably counts for more than a few of the weird messages people have seen over time.

Then you get dialog text like (from Win 3.11) "The CMI8330 Audio Device Driver driver has been removed. To remove the driver from your system, you must quit and restart Windows." Is it just me, or is that self-contradictory?

Or, the classic, from Win32, "This device is working properly. If you are having problems with this device, ..." then it probably is not working properly.

I think that one site I visit sometimes has some of the most hilarious error dialogs, though, and some healthy sarcasm to match.

And the "all code will fail" idea, and not heeding it, is what makes lili_Pad so impossible to work with when code fails - the errors are useless and error handling in some places non-existent. One day, I'll sort all that mess out...

MrMachineCode
Alpha Geek
Member # 609

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2003 06:08      Profile for MrMachineCode     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I find these error messages hi-larious too, but then, anyone who would make a nick out of the phrase machine code...

Those familiar with C have probably had the bizarre experience of accidently giving the wrong format specifiers to printf... You see the C printf function accepts a string to print, and if you want to print a number or something you embed a '%d' (for (d)ecimal integer) or '%f' (for (f)loating point) and then follow the string with the variables you want to print. The %whatever expands like a macro to the value of the variable. However, if you do something like, say, ask printf to print two %ld's (32 bit ints) and then accidently pass 16 bit ints instead, it will print nonsense. This Microsoft error message was reported in Risks digest:
quote:

Q276304 - Error Message: Your Password Must Be at Least 18770 Characters
and Cannot Repeat Any of Your Previous 30689 Passwords

Posts: 314 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
MrMachineCode
Alpha Geek
Member # 609

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted May 28, 2003 06:12      Profile for MrMachineCode     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keyboard not found. Hit F1 to continue.
Posts: 314 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2003 07:53      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a really cool Windows 3.1 application error box that I screen-captured back in 1996, but now I can't seem to find it. It's probably lost.

Oh well. Basically, it was a standard "!" alert box with an OK button at the bottom, but no text.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2003 13:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a call from a customer at one point who had an error message from a program we distribute that said simply "Call Bob."

Seems a test message got left in the released code

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2003 14:25            Edit/Delete Post 
greycat:
Some things never get solved ;-)
 -

MrMachineCode, Steen:
neat [Smile]

TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 28, 2003 15:03      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Very funny! That error message should be used more often where I work. [evil]

I got this error message while consoling into a router:

What?

It made me laugh for at least an hour or two. [Big Grin]

Posts: 81 | From: Behind a coffee cup | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted May 28, 2003 17:25      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of error messages:
 -

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2003 08:58            Edit/Delete Post 
I think the cutest error message ever is for BBC BASIC's auto line number prompting - give the command arguments that aren't sensible (like a line number interval of 0), and you get the error "Silly".

(btw, if that's OK with you, TouchStone, I'll keep yours there and post it to my site sometime. I got one from dragonman97 yesterday of a DOS-based Windows install asking for a disc to be placed into drive C...)

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2003 11:28      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrMachineCode:
Keyboard not found. Hit F1 to continue.

Hey, I hope you didn't copy that from my sig that I had for my first 8 months here at GC...
[Razz] [Wink]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2003 17:34      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
btw, if that's OK with you, TouchStone, I'll keep yours there and post it to my site sometime.
Of course. [Smile]
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 7 posted June 01, 2003 18:51            Edit/Delete Post 
OK, a last two for good measure:

-
Konqueror

-
Icon Machine III

- uilleann

TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2003 17:44      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some error msgs I found recently:

-

-

-

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2003 21:21            Edit/Delete Post 
lmao at the second one!

Are these yours? I won't use ones belonging to others' sites, normally.
Actually, I've seen the third one on someone's site, as a photograph, and I was thinking about posting it with a link back to its source.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture