homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Coffee Heartburn (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Coffee Heartburn
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 00:19            Edit/Delete Post 
Spungo: Once again I congratulate you.

And snupy's little animated gif is nice, too :)

Caffeine? I must be the only person here not addicted to the stuff - I've had, what, one bottle of coke in about three and a half weeks... I find regular caffeinated soft drinks to be rather ineffective - I know tea is a lot better stuff, I just dislike the flavour, and the entire hot drink principle in general really (I never remember to drink them until they're stone cold ;) D'oh...)

IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 04:14      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
uilleann: You're not the only one
Now and then I have ICED coffee, and it's usually decaf
However, every morning I have iced chai tea, but the kind I use as a base isn't THAT caffinated

evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 07:07            Edit/Delete Post 
Not trying to sound like a jerk, just a pet peeve it is just "chai"

Chai (pronounced as a single syllable and rhymes with 'pie') is the word for tea in many parts of the world.

Saying "chai tea" is like saying "java coffee"

quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:
However, every morning I have iced chai tea...

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 07:24      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah.
There are people on aim who yell at me for NOT saying tea!

Well, think of how lisja simpson says it!
"But lisa! How do you deal with all of the stresses of a modern thinker?"
"Oh different things, Chai Tea, Tai Chi, but usually I just like taking a walk"

[Wink]

SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 07:32      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats a joke matt groening made to make fun of people like yourself [Razz]
Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 10:27      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Coffee_geek:
Perfectstormy: Despite my love for you and the other members of the geekculture forums, any further suggestion that I limit my caffeine intake will be taken as an act of war.

That's a shame--there is some evidence (refuted by the coffee industry, of course) that any caffeine consumption increases your risk of heartburn--and you wouldn't have to drink more than three cups a day to still be a coffee_geek to most people.

My doctor said he could give me a sample pack of Zantac or tell me to take better care of myself--I was able to cut back to just enough to keep the headaches away. But maybe your gastric juices taste better than mine [Wink]

Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 11:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coffee, as a fellow caffeine junkie, you have my sympathies.

Like the Colonel said, are you sure it's coffee? I get heartburn too sometimes, and it's usually weird, unexpected things that set it off. The worst was after finishing off a Starlight Mint. It felt like my entire chest wall was being eaten away, and then it started radiating into my jaw and arm. I won't touch those things with a ten foot pole now. A couple days ago, a small piece of banana nut bread did the same thing, but less severe by an order of magnitude.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 13:25      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this Dilbert had some relevance:

-

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 17:30      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, reminds me of that JOT from ages ago, with the bloke making a new years resolution to cut down to one cup of coffee a day. I've got a version printed out around here somewhere, but never did keep the URL.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 2 posted April 24, 2003 00:42            Edit/Delete Post 
Joy of Tech episode 277. The place to look for this stuff is the Joy of Tech Strip Database, but that particular episode has not yet been recorded - dualg and I haven't got them all done yet. In this case, I figured that seeing as it was a resolution comic, it would be at the beginning of a year, and just looked at the bottom (January) of the 2002 archives page I had open and, lo, the first one of the year had a coffee cup as its thumbnail.

Elementary, dear csk [Wink]

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2003 02:43      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, I remembered the new years resolution bit, and I didn't think of that [blush]

Good work finding it, though [Cool]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2003 22:48            Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, well, I've spent the day (or, night, I'm nocturnal atm) in IRC/AIM and sending private messages, so I didn't exactly add many new entries - no more than eight. Pretty productive, eh? ;)

But yeah - that site is where you'll be able to go to look these things up. Now we've just got to pressure dualg to implement a proper search system*, and now he's over in Martha's Vineyard, this might be a while, and I don't have access to go in and play with it.

And then finish off adding the (at time of writing) 469 comic strips :)

[* you can only search for one term (e.g. 'coffee') at a time at the moment]

l8ers

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture