homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Coffee Heartburn (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Coffee Heartburn
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2003 19:58      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this is a bit scary for me, but I have to say it...

For the past week or so, I've been getting heartburn from coffee.

I know, I know, sacriliege. I've had to cut back to one cup a day, and I find that I can't even really get that down. I'm seriously thinking of weaning myself onto caffienated tea, or perhaps come other caffienated beverage. Any ideas? Sodas are out (I try try to limit my intake (personal reasons)), as is anything too terribly expensive.

Help!

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2003 20:23            Edit/Delete Post 
Try a different brand of beans. I have suffered with heartburn since age 8, recently I started taking 150 mg of Zantac twice a day and that has helped lots, I was taking Pepcid AC before, but the Zantac is working much better.
As I write this though I have heartburn, but I had vodka sauce, crushed peppers, red wine and chocolate for dinner and there's not much I can do to prevent it when I want to eat lots of stuff I like. I know what makes my heartburn bad but I like those foods too much to give them up. I did try decaf for awhile and that helped, but decaf is pointless to me MUST HAVE CAFFEINE!

Thinking of having a shot of espresso now [Wink]

IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2003 20:33      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried one of the purple pills?
[Wink]

SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2003 20:48      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i much prefer the blue one [Wink]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2003 23:38      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Penguin Mints are nice. If you switch to caffeinated tea, keep in mind that tea has less than half the caffeine of coffee.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 02:41      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think today's Dilbert might be apt
Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 06:02      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
damn, you beat me to the dilbert
coffee: You can also get that on cafe press stutt too [Wink]
Shirts, mugs, etc.

Coffee: You've seen thinkgeek's cafiene section?
http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/
Mayve you could 1: Spike your juice with this http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/2967/
or 2: Spike your allready caffinated beverage with it and drink less [Wink]
(that's 100mg of caffiene per 1 once)

Oh, and "for adults only" http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/candy/5c54/

rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 06:04      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
If you switch to caffeinated tea, keep in mind that tea has less than half the caffeine of coffee.

... unless you choose your tea wisely. There's a brew called gunpowder tea that packs a good caffeine wallop. Also, Celestial Seasonings makes a tasty tea called Morning Thunder that'll keep you up for a while.
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 5 posted April 22, 2003 06:39      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rw:
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
If you switch to caffeinated tea, keep in mind that tea has less than half the caffeine of coffee.

... unless you choose your tea wisely. There's a brew called gunpowder tea that packs a good caffeine wallop. Also, Celestial Seasonings makes a tasty tea called Morning Thunder that'll keep you up for a while.
do NOT take it with you on a plane...
http://www.privacyinternational.org/activities/stupidsecurity/inexplicable.html

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 07:21      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemydualg4:
(that's 100mg of caffiene per 1 once)

Oh, and "for adults only" http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/candy/5c54/

i believe thats 100mg of caffeine per 1 ounce [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
its been a while

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 08:00      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
Could be your diet.

There is a whole group of things that bother me when I'm not eating right.

More complex carbs -- brown rice, oat bran, etc. gives your stomache acids something to chew on, rather than you.

Also lots of veggies. You may not have to give up so much coffee.

Coffee, since it's a stimulant has the ability to depress your appetite and you may be skipping meals and snacking a bit.

Complex carbs are cheaper than pills and are better for your health.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 08:06      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you may need to add variety to your diet...

-

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 08:11      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rw:
...Also, Celestial Seasonings makes a tasty tea called Morning Thunder that'll keep you up for a while...

I second the Morning Thunder, though if you are getting persistent heartburn, you may wish to reconsider your relationship with caffeine (or anxiety, or diet [dairy and sugar for instance], or lifestyle) for a short period.
Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 08:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rw:
...Also, Celestial Seasonings makes a tasty tea called Morning Thunder that'll keep you up for a while...

I'm sure I smoked some of that in Amsterdam. [Confused]

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 09:09      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're just confused.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 10:13      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:

-

bravo on your fine taste spungo.

i enjoy teriyaki kitten what about you?

--------------------
its been a while

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 10:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah - Kitten Tikka Massala's more my sorta dish... had a really good one last year in... Kathmandu. [Wink]

--------------------

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 10:30      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to try Imus Brothers Stomach Friendly Coffee.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 12:37      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

-

Nice photoshop trick, Spungo, but everyone knows kittens need to be blanched before they are cooked.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 22, 2003 12:38      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...just when I thought you couldn't get any worse, spungo....**sigh**  -

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 14:14      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rw:

I'm sure I smoked some of that in Amsterdam. [Confused]
Really? Bravo! I've heard of it, but never had the pleasure to partake of it...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 19:02      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wowza, what a positive caffinated response!

PB- Penguin mints are delicious, but hard to acquire locally. And like you said, tea just doesn't cut it.

Dual4G: Wowza. Thanks for the hot tip about the syrups. 100 mg per ounce is a staggering amount. I must consider this.

Colnel Panic: Excellent, excellent. A drug-free, dietary aproach that I can live with. Problematically, I already have nearly the diet you describe. Rice is the staple of my diet (delicious, sticky rice), although it is true that I haven't been eating as much at 'mealtimes', probably because of the caffeine.

Perfectstormy: Despite my love for you and the other members of the geekculture forums, any further suggestion that I limit my caffeine intake will be taken as an act of war.

GMX: Interesting, but it doesn't give any information about the stomach friendly coffee.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Perhaps I need to visit thinkgeek...

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 19:45      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know, I looked and looked. You can order it, but they don't have any info on it at the site. I've heard about it on Imus In the Morning on MSNBC. It still has all the caffeine of regular coffee but isn't as acidic.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 20:40      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
coffee: Penguin mints hard to get?
Bah!
Mail order from thinkgeek! [Smile]

evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2003 21:04            Edit/Delete Post 
Or better yet order penguins direct from the source at www.peppermints.com !

Oh I forgot about a great coffee that is very smooth and does not give me heartburn and has twice the caffeine, SHOCK! from www.extremecoffee.com

Also Starbucks french roast has been kind to me and for my espresso maker espressione pods

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture