homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Mysterious purple streak is shown hitting Columbia before it disintegrated?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mysterious purple streak is shown hitting Columbia before it disintegrated?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted February 05, 2003 00:53      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/02/05/CAMERA.TMP

if this is real, this will be very interesting...

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 02:43      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't it a clear sky that day? [Confused]

edit: D'oh - a little bit above the clouds, I should have realised...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 03:54      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that the man currently refuses to publish, it is probably a hoax. Either that or some sort of laser weapon becoming visible in the contrail. Or not.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 04:06      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would have been nice to see the pic.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 05, 2003 06:40      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... upon close inspection of the photo, a strange creature can be seen on the wing trying to destroy the engine in the midst of heavy rain.....

oh, that was something else.

Somehow the word "credibility" doesn't spring to mind on the picture thing. If anything, it's a case of: "x" breaks off, turns sharply (because of wind resistance and gravity), then continues to fall or burn up.

BTW: Old days -- a single bullet hole would rip a jet fighter to shreds.

Reason: Air would enter the hole, increase the internal pressure of the fuselage, then the skin of the aircraft would "pop" off. Mach 1 means a lot of air pressure.

At any rate (IMNSHO), nothing "hit" the shuttle.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 08:15      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those darn aliens and their ray guns!!! Since we haven't been to outerspace, because there is no such place (the stars are painted on glass sperars arround our flat earth, which means to travel to the moon would shater some of the spheres...) and so the debris was placed there by some government officals who want us to buy the whole "outerspace" and "moon landing" theories.... *cough*

Alright, I have heard a number of wild theories, some decent theories and general theories in general... I personally don't believe that anything hit the air craft, and believe the problem was prbably structural failure due to previous wear and tear. While it was designed to last for quite a while longer, and while there were several inspections made before it was allowed to leave... It seems that structural failures happen under etream circumstances dispite our best efforts. Here in Milwaukee (a year or so... perhaps about 2 years ago), a bridge that was in seemingly great condition buckled after a heavy load of snow in sub--sub-zero weather.

I do think, after two major problems with the shuttle, that it is time to start designing the next mode of space travel. We'll see what the experts say after they have a chance to look at the evidence (and not some photoshopped pix).

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beoduck
Geek Larva
Member # 1841

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 11:14      Profile for Beoduck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/02/05/CAMERA.TMP

if this is real, this will be very interesting...

Sorry. This is NOT interesting. This is a sub-par episode of the X-Files.

To quote Jimmy Hendrick's "Purple Haze"

Purple Haze was in my brain,
lately things don't seem the same,
actin' funny but I don't know why
'scuse me while I kiss the sky.

(If that makes not sense, imagine what sense I make of this topic)

--------------------
Get your stinking paws off me you dirty hairless ape!

Posts: 26 | From: la forÍt de silicium | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 20:18      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... it was hit by lightning?

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 05, 2003 20:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

No one knows until the NASA folks take a look at this so-called picture. It will probably turn out to have been hit by lens flare or Photoshop.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 20:56      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:

erm... I'm no physicist, but that doesn't sound likely. It was a clear day, for one (IIRC). Could have been a Bolt From The Blue, except that the shuttle wasn't exactly grounded. And more people than this photographer probably would have noticed.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
DavO
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1988

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 00:06      Profile for DavO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This from sfgate.com ( http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/02/02/MN221641.DTL )

early in the article:

... taken with a Nikon-880 digital camera on a tripod, reveal what..

The Nikon 880 is indeed a digital camera.
Now, toward the end of the article...

"... but it showed up clear and bright on the film when I developed it," the photographer said.

Odd, that he may be damaging his camera in those developing chemicals.

--------------------
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 4 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Chump
Geek
Member # 593

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 07:57      Profile for The Chump   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DavO:
"... but it showed up clear and bright on the film when I developed it," the photographer said.

pay attention now MAYBE he MEANT downloaded or develop in the sense of extracting the picture from the camera into it's final stages but let me say this again

MAYBE

--------------------
Vedi Vidi Velcro "I came, I saw, I stuck around"
quality in posting since dec 2000

Posts: 184 | From: In my chair, in front of my laptop, at my desk, in my kitchen, in my aprtment, o | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
DavO
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1988

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 23:22      Profile for DavO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Chump:
quote:
Originally posted by DavO:

pay attention now MAYBE he MEANT downloaded or develop in the sense of extracting the picture from the camera into it's final stages but let me say this again

MAYBE

[slow nod]...and I echo you with a careful maybe, bashed out on my B&W G3 typewriter...[/slow nod]

--------------------
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 4 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture