homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Computer Uses Shakespeare To Win Chess Match

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Computer Uses Shakespeare To Win Chess Match
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted October 20, 2002 08:34      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A computer used Shakespearean taunts to unnerve the human playing against him. See the transcript of the encounter. [Smile]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheAnnoyedCockroach
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1115

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 09:23      Profile for TheAnnoyedCockroach   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clever of them.

And a rather witty read as well.

Posts: 1063 | From: The Devil's Dance Floor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 09:51      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and it was amazing how the computer came up with quotes that were exactly right for the situation.
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted October 23, 2002 17:50      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very funny story, but several parts of it do not ring true to me:

-- The article is on chessbase.com, which is not a news site. chessbase are the company that makes and sells Fritz and Deep Fritz. I couldn't find any independent confirmation of this report, including the post-match interviews with Kramnik.

-- Fritz has had a "chatter mode" for years and Kramnik knows this. Either it does not disturb him (overwhelmingly likely), or, if he can not handle listening to crap from an entity with a mouth and no ears, his team would have written that into the contract. Anything as gross as the noise level would be in the contract, and if the Chessbase team fucked with that, they would be in danger of bad publicity and perhaps forfeiting a game.

-- It's also implausible that employees of one of the teams would have access to the playing room without the arbiter present. "Oh, we're just running some extra cables and stuff because it will be funny to see his reaction. Don't tell him, okay?"

-- Kramnik would be unlikely to let anything like this go without protest, especially with a $1 million prize fund at stake in a close match.

-- Why Shakespeare? Kramnik is Russian (born in Moscow). Chessbase GMBH is in Hamburg, Germany. The match was in Bahrain. I would expect taunts from Nietzsche or Tolstoy or Dostoevsky. There aren't even very many top players whose native language was English. There's Morphy and Fischer and Adams and Short and ... that's all I can think of.

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2002 19:36      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably right. I forgot I found a link to the article at FARK. No intentional fooling on my part.
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 24, 2002 09:49      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I was obsessively researching this, I came across another story, which I can't find again ... so this might be just another chess legend ...

Garry Kasparov was evaluating a new version of Fritz. He called up his tech support contact to bitch about the incessant chatter. The tech support guy told him that it was a popular selling point.

Fifteen minutes later, Garry called back, and said that he was mollified. Apparently he had gotten into a really good opening line. Fritz saw that he was coming out of the book opening with a significant negative evaluation, so he spoke: "Are you Garry Kasparov?!"

I can't find the story again during daylight ... gaah ... I gotta get back to more normal sleeping hours!

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture