homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » So what do you think of Jaguar? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: So what do you think of Jaguar?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted August 24, 2002 21:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So all you lucky Mac users who picked up Jaguar, what do you think? You like? You don't like?

Tell me, please, since I don't have it, and want to wallow in my misery. [Happytears]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2002 22:05      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't installed it yet so I can't say anything about how it runs.

But I don't like that it doesn't come with the latest OS9 install disc. [Razz]

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
chrisgagne
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1182

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 01:32      Profile for chrisgagne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I will say that I didn't buy the software at the store because they wouldn't honor Apple's educational pricing (which is $50 cheaper). On the whole, I would say that the roll out was rather disappointing. The swak wasn't all that great (not getting a t-shirt unless I bought the OS or a mac was bogus), the demo was mediocre and targeted towards switching people (preaching to the choir) and the fact that they just added in the opportunity to win an eMac at the last second... eek

CG

Posts: 14 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 25, 2002 05:33      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far, so good! Jaguarific.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 06:33      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm it replaced my copy of internet explorer... i hacked it into using google... me mad at that

it doesnt use my 20$tablet, me mad at that too
otherwise me happy

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 06:53      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Likes: The Address Book App is better, Mail is getting better, but I think I'll still stick with Entourage, the swirling beach ball, the swirling progress bars, iChat, Backup update is better, I like the search function in the toolbar, better anti-aliasing on my LCD, like the way a window slides out when you click on a icon, spring-loaded folders, more system preferences, new sytem sounds (I like glass).
Dislikes: Sherlock will only work if you're connected to the internet, Help Viewer crashes, although you can now customize installation, you can't customize installation of apps-I don't need iMovie or IPhoto-I don't have cameras, although the startup is faster once you get past the opening screen with the apple, it seems to take forever to get to it. IE started hanging up for some reason, I had to run DiscWarrior and TechTool to fix some stuff that had been messed up by the installation.
Final Opinion:I still have to use it some more before I get a real opinion of it. But I suspect we'll see an update within the next week or so that will take care of the little bugs.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Luvalot
Mini Geek
Member # 1580

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 07:03      Profile for Lady_Luvalot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very,very...spiffy!

--------------------
War is when old business men try to make money off young life...like tobacco companies and mcdonalds.

Posts: 64 | From: under your bed | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted August 25, 2002 07:59      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After playing around a bit, I found that Sherlock no longer is used to index volumes, that's why you need to be connected to the internet-it's only used to search the web now. Indexing is under Get Info, and you no longer get "can't index volume" it indexes everything on your hard drive. Thumbs up to that. Still having problems with IE though.
Lady_Luvalot
Mini Geek
Member # 1580

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 09:25      Profile for Lady_Luvalot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok,I take that back.I'm having major trouble with internet explorer.Pretty soon my pc's going to know what a hammer feels like!Do you know how long I had to wait for this page to open?I had to continuously refresh the page cause I would get a gateway timeout.Very frustrating!!!!hmmm...wonder how long it's gonna take to post this [Mad]

--------------------
War is when old business men try to make money off young life...like tobacco companies and mcdonalds.

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 9 posted August 25, 2002 14:11      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dunno yet - i got it, but can't load it on my 8100

YET!!!

i *will* find a way, cuz i sure as heck aint spending any of my hard-earned money on Mac hardware!

(anyone wanna give me an iMac? [Wink] )

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 14:21      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady_Luvalot:
ok,I take that back.I'm having major trouble with internet explorer.Pretty soon my pc's going to know what a hammer feels like!Do you know how long I had to wait for this page to open?I had to continuously refresh the page cause I would get a gateway timeout.Very frustrating!!!!hmmm...wonder how long it's gonna take to post this [Mad]

I didn't even wait that long, I forced quit. I downloaded iCab, which works pretty well, but it has problems with homepage at .mac, and seems kinda slow. There better be some kind of update for IE soon. [Mad]
Germanguy
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 16:15      Profile for Germanguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First thing I did delete IE and made omniweb default browser [Wink]
Jaguar is working great as of now for me I was hoping it would be a bit faster Ibook 500 has something to do with it as well I assume.
I can't grasp the firewall setup I guess there is an easy way and I'm doing it the windows way like always [Confused]
Ichat is really nice now I have to find more friends online I guess.
By the way what is a easy (and I mean really easy) to wright programs like small ones JAVA,C++,BASIC,COCOA?

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Luvalot
Mini Geek
Member # 1580

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 16:25      Profile for Lady_Luvalot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Germanguy:

By the way what is a easy (and I mean really easy) to wright programs like small ones JAVA,C++,BASIC,COCOA?

Silly man,lol.You don't get easy...To me they're all really complex.

--------------------

Germanguy
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 16:34      Profile for Germanguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silly man,lol.You don't get easy...To me they're all really complex.[/QB][/QUOTE]

It can't be that hard I hope.
I was programming in assembler on my C64 15 years ago things can't be that much different today [Confused]

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 17:08      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heartily recommend Code Warrior Learning Edition if you've been programming before and want to get into Mac coding (or want to learn to program in C, C++ or Java)

Codewarrior Learning Edition

I used it years ago to get back into Mac programming after working on different platforms.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Hikaru
Alpha Geek
Member # 1142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2002 22:46      Profile for Hikaru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didnt notice much of a difference in it, besides the lack of OS 9 cd and the different Box art

--------------------
Sister Woman, she speaks for the collective, that and scolds me for my poor typing, dont let her smile fool you.

Posts: 317 | From: AppleDale, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
kygeek
Mini Geek
Member # 1623

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted August 26, 2002 18:30      Profile for kygeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, or maybe its just the new look. [Razz]

--------------------
-Paul
Dsl and Cable internet, some call me a broadband junkie, some call my apt a datacenter.

Posts: 84 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 6 posted August 27, 2002 15:10      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/

gonna work on this over the weekend [Big Grin]

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 16:39      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've taken a tentative step with 10.2. I installed it on my notebook, but not on my main computer, the dual G4. So far I like it, but I haven't tried many the new features.

There are two reasons for keeping the G4 at 10.1.5: software incompatibilities and the fact that I want to do a completely clean install. The former requires time for other companies to update their products for 10.2, the latter a whole lot of my time plus money for a firewire backup device.

I'm pleasantly suprised at how well my little iBook 500 is handling the switch from 9 to X, but I haven't given it much of a workout yet.

Mail is much improved and will be my client of choice when I upgade the big machine. The little Finder interface improvements like spring loaded folders make life easier, but what I really want is to be able to sort column view the way you can with list view. Being stuck with alphabetical order just doesn't cut it. Maybe we'll get that in 10.3.

I am having a strange problem though. My iBook travels with me from home (AirPort wireless) to work (10baseT) and back again. It automatically detects its location and I never have trouble checking my email or surfing the web when I fire it up. However, if I leave it on overnight I am sometimes unable to wake it up. It's so dead that I would consider it off except for the fact that the bottom of the case is still slightly warm to the touch. I suspect networking because that's what always locked up Macs in the old days, but OS X is Unix based and therefore shouldn't be inheriting problems from MacOS 8.

I'll post a new thread if the problem persists or I discover what's causing it.

Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 21:15      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bregalad:
..the latter a whole lot of my time plus money for a firewire backup device.

Have you considered using your iBook as a firewire backup device? Just get a standard FW cable, plug them together, and then boot up the laptop while holding the 'T' key. Voila! Instant firewire drive. Of course, iBook 500s didn't usually have much space on them, as I recall. If it isn't enough... got a SuperDrive? Or perhaps you or someone you know has a spare IDE drive?

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daveyt
Geek
Member # 1522

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 27, 2002 21:44      Profile for daveyt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the big furry thing at my local MacStation was really nice. It didn't eat anyone or anything. Just paced around and looked really cute, in an "I can eat you" kind of way.

As for the OS, I had to shell out for MS Office v.X for school (thank you edu pricing!!), so that bumped Jaguar a little farther down the road than I would like. But soon. I'm really looking forward to the new mail client. Browsers seem to be the headache of the day. Anyone running Mozilla on Jaguar?

...waiting impatiently...

Posts: 115 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2002 22:41      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by daveyt:
Well, the big furry thing at my local MacStation was really nice...
Anyone running Mozilla on Jaguar?
...waiting impatiently...

I was hoping to get there to see the big cat, but I had a softball tournament that day. Did I see that they moved the store from Pacific Boulevard to Homer Street?

I'll let you know about Mozilla on Jaguar once I've had a chance to give it a workout.

Lex, my iBook came with a 10GB drive and it's mostly full with 10.2, 9.2.2 and a whole lot of stuff for work. I didn't really want to spend a lot of money right now, but I can get a brand new 80GB hard drive for less than the price of MacOS X so it won't be too bad.

Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted August 28, 2002 02:55      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tafkact:
gonna work on this over the weekend [Big Grin]

Might take longer than a weekend... the thing you linked to talks about maybe supporting older PCI Mac's in due course, and your 8100 isn't even PCI. Even if you could get OS X to run it'd probably be slower than swimming in treacle... but I guess you'd be happy that your prejudices had been confirmed [Wink]
Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2002 12:23      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anybody is going to get OSX, any version working on an 8100.

I have 10.1.5 running on a Mach 5 300 8600 thanks to an installer patch from Other World Computing. It works, but it's slow. I've transferred some photos into iPhoto, but that's really slow.

As for starting up classic you can start it up, commit a felony, go through the trial, serve sentence and probation, and it will be just about ready when you are. On an 8100? the writer of the installer patch mentions that he doubts anybody will ever get OSX to work.

I like OSX for editing audio on PeakDV, rendering audio wave forms is buku fast with PeakDV on OSX.

For those of you tiring of IE on OSX, try Netscape .4. Very fast, like Mozilla, great looking interface, some nice features like tab windows and a bookmark filing feature.

Why, I'm soaking my hands in it now!

That Madge, she's a Mac Genius, too. Who knew?

Colonel Panic

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chris Moss
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2002 14:25      Profile for Chris Moss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I backed up my OSX and User partition with Carbon Copy Cloner to an external firewire drive, and went for the upgrade install of 10.2. Everything worked as it should, though there was no option to forget about the various language components that I won't be needing. I am pleased with it on the whole, but I am not having any dramatic speed increase. This is on a TiBook 800, so it may be that there is not so much to gain given that this beast is fairly fast already. I do note that menu items with many subfolders display more quickly (I can't use Classic Menu with 10.2, but I quickly put in Fruit Menu instead and now have all my disks and folders represented in the Apple menu again). Sherlock doesn't work except when connected to the internet? So what - I'm much happier with the command-F tool for finding files locally, as Sherlock has been horribly slow in it's OSX iterations. I have other means for using dictionaries and looking up flight times, so Sherlock's time in my dock may be limited. I'm delighted with the time to launch Classic - it's faster than Netscape Communicator was in OS9. Sadly I still have to use Classic for a custom made Omnis database in the office. Best of all, I have my printer back. So many stories lately of people finding broken drivers, but here's some good news. I was a bit proud of myself for using an Axis print server and an AppleTalk driver to have an Epson 740 on my home network for colour printing as well as the GCC laser printer. It worked wonderfully in OS9, and would work in Classic too, though OSX couldn't see it. With 10.2 it shows up nicely in the Add Printer dialog, under Epson AppleTalk! Yay!!
So far, I'd say it's all gain, especially as I don't have to buy a new printer! Go for it, Snaggy.

--------------------
SACD's & SET's!

Posts: 20 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture