homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » LOTR!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: LOTR!!
Janeway
Assimilated
Member # 78

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 06, 2002 17:37      Profile for Janeway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today is the release date for Fellowship of the Ring (one of the best movies of the year, imo) on DVD and VHS! Yippee!
Posts: 468 | From: Cyberspace, Delta Quadrant | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
TheAnnoyedCockroach
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1115

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2002 17:44      Profile for TheAnnoyedCockroach   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be patient, for better things shall come in November (like the half hour of extra footage!)

------------------
Wait! It's a trick. Get an axe.

Posts: 1063 | From: The Devil's Dance Floor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2002 17:52      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i implore you to buy my new episode 2 dvd....
resistance is futile...

wups... wrong movie...

lol great ad

------------------

“Water outside boat good. Water inside boat bad. Water in air bad” - “Tim”

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2002 09:05      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to wait for the 3 boxed set with extra footage in 2004

Only 5 1/2 months to go to the Two Towers.

Need Tolkien fix NOW.

Hmm, maybe I will re-read the book for the nth time

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2002 17:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh... kinda funny since it just hit the dollar theater here this past week. I'll probably go go spend a buck to watch it again to tide myself over until they release the second version of the DVD with the extras.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2002 20:19      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in the local Best Buy yesterday and couldn't keep myself from dropping the $17 for a copy of the DVD. Watched it again today (five hours in total - three hour movie, plus two hours of bonus material). Definitely worth owning - I'd forgotten how dramatic the movie is. Now I want to read all the books again..

At least the next movie isn't too far away (only about four months, not 5 1/2). In December I didn't think I could wait for a whole year, but I think I'll make it after all.

Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2002 06:18      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
indeed the movie is great. I think i will get a copy now, and get another in November. Best to have all your bases covered, especially when you are not paying to cover them.
Nayt

------------------
Nayt: making interesting posts boring since Jan 02

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Zarquon
Alpha Geek
Member # 485

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted August 08, 2002 08:57      Profile for Mr. Zarquon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD is amazing.

I picked it up at the local WalMart at 12:01am tuesday morning (which I then returned in the afternoon, because I grabbed the fullscreen instead of widescreen version, and got back $5 cause they dropped the price). I have watched it twice now. It is freaking amazing. From both viewings, i didn't notice a compression artifact or any dvd issues. The sound is amazing.

They even included a trailer for the extended version DVD. An extra 30 minutes of footage, which they made a new score for. I can't wait to get it in Nov.

Gah, im going to have like 9 different copies of the LOTR trilogy when this is over. Normal Release, Special Release, and then at the very end, the boxed edition.

------------------
Mr. Zarquon
Welcome, Tasty Primate

Posts: 332 | From: Lewisburg, PA (middle of nowhere) | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2002 10:11      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!

------------------
May the force be with y'all.

Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2002 14:34      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Zarquon:
Gah, im going to have like 9 different copies of the LOTR trilogy when this is over. Normal Release, Special Release, and then at the very end, the boxed edition.

I would too...if I could afford it that is..

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2002 04:38      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gave in! I was going to wait for the November release - but then I thought 'sod it' - and went and got it.

Sat and watched it in its entirety - 5 hours' worth.

Honestly - do films get any better than this? I'm not even a Tolkien freak! Only ever read the Hobbit - it was the most anticipated film in the history of the universe... and it was better than I had hoped.

I think maybe Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn) gets my vote for most impressive performance... just edging out Sir Ian McKellen.

------------------
"No longer empty and frantic like a cat tied to a stick, that's driven into frozen winter shit (the ability to laugh at weakness), calm, fitter, healthier and more productive, a pig in a cage on antibiotics."

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2002 05:01      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Zarquon:

Me, too! I'll wear out the discs I have by then!

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
wire
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1593

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2002 06:09      Profile for wire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
man ya'll are just know getting the fellowship of the rings dvd......
you guys are slow.......pirates are my friend.......bootlegs rock.....

------------------
imagine a world in which studenst can read and teachers who cannot and you have a metaphor for the information age in which we live

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2002 08:42      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only person who thought that it sucked?

Go to a strange place with daft names and get threatened and chased by some daft-named buggers to a place with a daft name, where some daft-named bugger will chase and threaten you so you have to run to a daftly named place where another bugger with a daft name will threaten and chase you....
and repeat until your ass is so numb you can't feel a thing.

I mean, I enjoyed the first hour, but then it repeated itself twice over. Dull.

And don't even get me started on the "ending"

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2002 08:47      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
... and repeat until your ass is so numb you can't feel a thing.

sounds like a bummer!

------------------
"No longer empty and frantic like a cat tied to a stick, that's driven into frozen winter shit (the ability to laugh at weakness), calm, fitter, healthier and more productive, a pig in a cage on antibiotics."

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2002 09:14      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
spungo, i know you have a job but do you actually do any work? or are you the stereotypical lazy boss?
Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2002 23:13      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Am I the only person who thought that it sucked?

Go to a strange place with daft names and get threatened and chased by some daft-named buggers to a place with a daft name, where some daft-named bugger will chase and threaten you so you have to run to a daftly named place where another bugger with a daft name will threaten and chase you....
and repeat until your ass is so numb you can't feel a thing.

I mean, I enjoyed the first hour, but then it repeated itself twice over. Dull.

And don't even get me started on the "ending"

I dun know you, but I dun like you.. You DO realize that LoTR is made from a book right?(I actually know someone who didn't know it was a book)

------------------
Even god has a sense of humor, just look at the platypus.

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2002 04:31      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know it's a book. I read the hobbit when I was about 12 and thought it was far too much of a kids book for me. I just don't like fantasy I guess. But I thought for all the rave reviews LoTR was getting I should go see it. Also all my friends were going and if I didn't I would have felt left out of all the conversations about it. I did like the Harry Potter movie, which I didn't think I would, as it's made from a kids book. And I think that star wars is hugely overrated- it's a kids film with dodgy acting. The special effects were good, but effects do not a movie make. Now, Citizen Kane, there's a good movie.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2002 04:49      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
test drive a kia and get a free copy!

------------------
'Excuse me, I have to go blow somethign up..... It's a military thing....'-Col. Jack. O'Neil

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2002 06:25      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you liked harry potter and not lotr? have you no soul man?
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2002 15:06      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
you liked harry potter and not lotr? have you no soul man?

aye, just my thoughts, though I do agree with his comments about star-wars..

------------------

TheAnnoyedCockroach
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1115

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2002 18:39      Profile for TheAnnoyedCockroach   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh...

Everybody has an opinion...

I liked Harry Potter. And Lord of the Rings.

And Star Wars. I'm a loser for Star Wars. Even if it does have dodgy acting.

------------------
"growl growl mumble mah baby done growl mumble mumble growl."

Posts: 1063 | From: The Devil's Dance Floor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2002 19:49      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im a loser for star wars books. the movies i just watch because i appreciate the books but if lucas made the books into movies instead of his crappy writing he would be raking in a lot more money..
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2002 22:31      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
im a loser for star wars books. the movies i just watch because i appreciate the books but if lucas made the books into movies instead of his crappy writing he would be raking in a lot more money..

Amazing, 'tis my opinion as well

------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2002 02:00      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
spungo, i know you have a job but do you actually do any work?

What, you think these bugs write themselves?

------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture