homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » You know there's a major event in town when...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You know there's a major event in town when...
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2002 12:21      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...there are a pair of CF-18 fighter jets circling the city.

Yes it's time for the annoucer to say "gentlemen start your engines" and a crowd of 75,000 people to cheer as the Molson Indy Vancouver (CART circuit) gets underway. I have nothing against auto racing, a couple of days of noise and pollution tend to be offset by advances in car design and safety features that benefit the rest of us, but I'm glad the race is taking place 3 miles away on the other side of the hill I live on.

Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2002 13:15      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bregalad:
...there are a pair of CF-18 fighter jets circling the city.

Yes it's time for the annoucer to say "gentlemen start your engines" and a crowd of 75,000 people to cheer as the Molson Indy Vancouver (CART circuit) gets underway. I have nothing against auto racing, a couple of days of noise and pollution tend to be offset by advances in car design and safety features that benefit the rest of us, but I'm glad the race is taking place 3 miles away on the other side of the hill I live on.

And cars don't fall out of the sky, unlike fighter jets, as in yesterday's accident in the Ukraine.

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 28, 2002 14:02      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, low-flying jets are much more effective at breaking up riots (albeit unintentionally) than race cars.

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
daveyt
Geek
Member # 1522

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2002 16:21      Profile for daveyt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They flew right over my house! The cats came out of daily hibernation to see what all the racket was. I was hanging out the window checking them out. Cool. and loud.

One day not so long ago, I was flying to a job site by helicopter, and a couple of CF-18's came whipping by. I would listen to the controllers on the radio to find out who and what else was flying around, but the military sees no need to let anybody know where they are or where they're going, so out of nowhere, seemingly, they bank around us and head in for landing. Sweet.

------------------
What the..?! How'd I get here?

Posts: 115 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2002 16:53      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EngrBohn:
Of course, low-flying jets are much more effective at breaking up riots (albeit unintentionally) than race cars.

lol I would like to see some video of that!

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2002 03:02      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was skiing in vermont, and 3 fighter jets in low formation zipped right overhead northbound. it was freaky. where could they possibly be going, unless they are canadian returning home, or the us bombing canada jk

------------------
my geek code
Hazards: "There is an island of opportunity in the middle of every difficulty, miss that, though, and you're pretty much doomed."

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2002 03:47      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could have been in Vancouver to see the race, I really love CART and F1.
So do not tell us the results so when I finally catch up with the race, it will come as a surprise.

As for flyby by jets, just have to go ski-ing in the Swiss Alps, you see military planes playing cat and mouse all the time.
With the Fêtes de Genève coming up too, normally we get some sort of airshow too. I am going to leave town for this, especially when the Techno parade is on.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2002 17:12      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think having the Secret Service knocking on the front door is my best indication of an event.

You know, those people have no sense of humour, never forget and never let you forget either one.

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 10 posted July 30, 2002 00:44            Edit/Delete Post 
How did you know they were the Secret Service - aren't they supposed to be secret? :) Did it say "Secret Service" on their ID badges or something?
IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 30, 2002 01:00      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was embroidered across the backs of their bomber jackets?
Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture