homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Macworld Report: Epilog - Being Han SoHo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Macworld Report: Epilog - Being Han SoHo
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2002 10:50      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EGADS! I actually got the complimentary breakfast on Friday! (heh!) And since I had seen the whole show Thursday, I took my time going over to the show on Friday.

I made it through the still-respectable crowd at the Apple booth and spend some quality time with Jaguar (pronounced "Jagwire", according to His Steveness) at last...

iChat & Rendezvous at work

iSync-ing

I tried to finish up the Digital Media and Developer pavilions, and then roamed about completing some research for the folks at home.

Here's the paltry Gallery from Friday:
http://www.maccenter.com/news/2002/MWNY/Galleries/0719.Show/index.html

So what's missing from this trip?

A stop at the new Flagship Apple Store in SoHo!

And the electricity in lower Manhattan.

You may have seen on the news that a power station in Manhattan caught fire Saturday, knocking out power to most of lower Manhattan, including my hotel in the Battery Park area. After the power went out, I waited about 20 minutes, and when the hotel announced it was a ConEd problem, I decided to head out to the new Apple Store in SoHo...

Surely they would have power.

They didn't.

And stop calling me Shirley.

But, Apple fans are undaunted by the loss of a little thing called electricity. There was a really good crowd at the store. And people were still buying things.

The crown streams in, power or none

People buying things, power-free!

It was kinda warm, with no A/C, but plenty bright, thanks to the many windows and the amazing skylight. To combat the warmth, the legendary Evian was flowing like, well, water.

Steve was right, though... this store is beautiful! The first 2-story store, with more square footage than their standard footprint, in a beautiful old building. Apple really has something to be proud of. I'm glad I was able to see it, even under less-than-optimal circumstances.

Here's the entire Apple Store Visit Gallery:
http://www.maccenter.com/news/2002/MWNY/Galleries/0720.AppleStoreSoho/index.html

I spent the rest of the day looking for a place with power to get some lunch, and then went over to South Street Seaport, (which was powered) shopped a bit, and watched the boats come in and out.

We ended the day by going on an evening cruise, on the Schooner Pioneer. Included was a close pass by the Statue of Liberty... it was great, because we were under sail, with the engine off.

By the time I got back to the hotel, main power had been restored (though no hot water in the shower, yet - BRRRRR!), and things were getting back to normal. Well normal for New York City, post-9-11, anyway.

It's been a great trip overall. While Macworld was a little lackluster, there was plenty to see, and the vibe at the show was really upbeat, compared to last summer, but similar to January in San Francisco. There was a lot of talk about the .mac fees, but that's about the only downside. It would have been great to see more new products from Apple, but the new 17" iMac is a winner, and Jaguar, sorry, 'Jagwire' is going to ROCK.

So thanks to the people at Apple, all the other vendors (and the TTBs!), and to the people of New York, a city that's been through an unimaginably tough time, but has come through it with colors flying.

And of course, thanks to Snaggy & Nitrozac for giving me the forum for my "Ramblings of a Madman, er Mac Man"!

=bd

Running and packing, and cabbing...

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
GraphicPower.com
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1180

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted July 22, 2002 03:49      Profile for GraphicPower.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good report, DB. Not the usual dry delivery that is like regurgitated press releases. You got across what it was like to be there.

Scott

------------------
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. -George Carlin
Gra
phicPower-News and
Views for the Graphics
Industry

Posts: 41 | From: Philadelphia, PA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 22, 2002 07:51      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks DB! Looked like you had a great time! Makes me want to go. Apple SoHo, coooool.
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2002 04:37      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalBill:
...You may have seen on the news that a power station in Manhattan caught fire Saturday, knocking out power to most of lower Manhattan, including my hotel in the Battery Park area.

Battery Park... had no power. Am I too easily amused or what?

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2002 05:28      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
Battery Park... had no power. Am I too easily amused or what?

LOL! Somehow, I missed the irony there.

Thanks for a good laugh, supa!

=bd

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture