homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Genius Party at Macworld Expo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Genius Party at Macworld Expo
GraphicPower.com
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1180

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted May 18, 2002 11:24      Profile for GraphicPower.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am helping to organize a party at Macworld Expo in New York. The primary organizer has in mind a 2 hour open bar at some sort of divey bar. I am leaning towards a large warehouse space with some entertainment and 3 hours. The space would have to be air conditioned, of course, 'cause it can be damned hot in NY in July.

We are entertaining ideas for the party. Anyone have any suggestions?

I am going to NY next weekend for a couple nights of bar hopping with the other organizer to scope out possible places to do the party. I need suggestions for places to go, if anybody knows of any joints in NY.

A few Mac Genius shirts might be highly coveted as door prizes.

------------------
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. -George Carlin
Gra
phicPower-News and
Views for the Graphics
Industry

Posts: 41 | From: Philadelphia, PA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 18, 2002 15:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few Mac Genius shirts might be highly coveted as door prizes.

They would be, ... too bad Apple Computer Inc. forced them into extiction.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 18, 2002 23:55      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What areas are you thinking of for the party?
And when you say "divey"... HOW divey?
I know LOTS of divey bars in midtown.
Rudy's on 9th between 44th and 45th is absolutely disgusting...AND they serve free hotdogs all night. I don't think they have A/C, but in the summer they open the "garden" (for lack of a better word) out back.
If you want someplace more upscale, you better ask someone else.

Jess

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GraphicPower.com
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2002 09:11      Profile for GraphicPower.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:
What areas are you thinking of for the party?
And when you say "divey"... HOW divey?
I know LOTS of divey bars in midtown.
Rudy's on 9th between 44th and 45th is absolutely disgusting...AND they serve free hotdogs all night. I don't think they have A/C, but in the summer they open the "garden" (for lack of a better word) out back.
If you want someplace more upscale, you better ask someone else.

Jess

That sounds like a good location geographically. It's only about 12 blocks or so from the Javits Center where the Expo is held. But, I think that A/C is mandatory. We don't need to put together a lot of sweaty geeks.

There may be music involved, and music often means dancing. If it is hot as Hell, that would be out of the question. The party is liekly to be crowded. Must be air conditioned. As to how "divey" ... I am not quite sure what you mean by "disgusting." I am not sure I am looking for "disgusting." "Funky," maybe... "bizarre," probably. We've looked at "Beauty Bar" which is between 2nd and 3rd AV on E 14 ST. The place is kinda "kitchy" with all the original beauty parlor fixtures, but it only holds 250 people. I want to be able to hold 500 people, if I can swing the funds from sponsors.

There may be entertainment. I am looking to put together some sort of really cool show or at least some music.

So, Jess, if you would like to go bar hopping to help me check out the scene, I will be going to NY to do just that next Friday (5/24.) I don't drink much, but I like to socialize and go to bars that aren't too smokey. (Who says geeks are social misfits?)

I also want to look for air conditioned warehouse space. A big open space of 2,000 - 3,000 square ft ought to do it. That would be enough room to do about anything, and we could hire people to pour drinks.

Posts: 41 | From: Philadelphia, PA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture