homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » New Apple 1U Xserve

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Apple 1U Xserve
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2002 11:47      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Imagine my surprise when I went to apple.com to just look up some info for someone, and my jaw dropped seeing a 1U Apple server. The bullet points:
-1U design
-Dual 1GHz G4s
-2MB DDR L3 cache per chip
-2GB DDR SDRAM
-480 GB storage capacity
-Dual Gigabit Ethernet
*Mac OS X Server * unlimited license *
I may be a PC fan, sitting in front of 5 Dell Poweredges and surrounded by 8 Optiplexes, but I still think this is very cool. With UNIX at its core this is great. I noticed little print on the side mentioning that these boxen (which can be delightfully clustered) can be administrated over serial line console. This makes me suspect that Apple is getting even more PC-like, in a very good way. I knew that /. had to be ahead of me on this (since I stumbled on it by dumb luck), so here is their story.

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2002 16:13      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
can be administrated over serial line console. This makes me suspect that Apple is getting even more PC-like, in a very good way.

That's not really PC-like, as both PC and Mac servers are following in the footsteps of UNIX servers and others that used serial consoles as the primary (or only) means of interaction since before PCs and Macs existed or were used as servers.

Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2002 18:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by +Andrew:
That's not really PC-like, as both PC and Mac servers are following in the footsteps of UNIX servers and others that used serial consoles as the primary (or only) means of interaction since before PCs and Macs existed or were used as servers.

Okay, perhaps I shouldn't have worded it quite like I did. My point is that this is closer to a standard that other networking products use, and I like it. However, the hardware is getting to be quite similar to that of PCs, with the exception of certain higher quality components (and PPC).

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2002 10:45      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case you overlooked it, they're also using ATA/100 disks instead of SCSI....
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GraphicPower.com
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1180

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted May 16, 2002 08:48      Profile for GraphicPower.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
In case you overlooked it, they're also using ATA/100 disks instead of SCSI....

That is only the base configuration. Ultra160 SCSI or fiberchannel can be added, though they won't work with the internal drive modules.

Apple will have a RAID to add to the XServer in a few months. It will be 4U, I think, and hold 14 drive modules.

Scott McCarty
http://graphicpower.com

------------------
The main reason
Santa is so jolly is
because he knows
where all the bad girls
live. -George Carlin
Gra
phicPower-News and
Views for the Graphics
Industry

Posts: 41 | From: Philadelphia, PA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2002 16:00            Edit/Delete Post 
That is a sweet-looking box. I wouldn't mind having one to run Electric Minds on; the Venice software it uses relies on Apache, Tomcat, Java, and MySQL, and, AFAIK, all those would run on OS X just fine.

Does anyone know if the internal drives on the Xserve can be used in a RAID-1 (mirrored) configuration? That's about the only thing our existing Linux server can do that I haven't seen on their Web pages.

IP: Logged
GraphicPower.com
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2002 05:22      Profile for GraphicPower.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:Does anyone know if the internal drives on the Xserve can be used in a RAID-1 (mirrored) configuration? That's about the only thing our existing Linux server can do that I haven't seen on their Web pages.

Yes, It will do software disk mirroring, but Mac OS X Server disk mirroring SUCKS. By Fall, SoftRAID might have a software RAID that will include RAID level 5. It won't suck. For now, DO NOT use software disk mirroring or striping on a Mac OS X Server! if you need RAID, go with an external hardware RAID 5 enclosure.

Scott McCarty
GraphicPower.com

------------------
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. -George Carlin
Gra
phicPower-News and
Views for the Graphics
Industry

Posts: 41 | From: Philadelphia, PA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 04, 2002 19:34      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out! There are drooling on the floor.
Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture