homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » R2D2 can fly!?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: R2D2 can fly!?!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted April 30, 2002 22:15      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw an Episode II preview, and in it R2D2 sticks out some rocket engines and flies!!!

and for some reason, I am in shock.

-----------
Do I sense an ESTES Rocket revival?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MightyJoeSakic
Geek
Member # 1332

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 01, 2002 02:44      Profile for MightyJoeSakic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't thought about those in a long long time...... man those were fun. Spend all your afternoons sanding, gluing, painting.... Then on the weekend a trip to the park to see your creation *WHOOOSH!* up into the sky. I was all about those Estes rockets when I was in grade school, but then I got a TRS-80(21k of memory...lol). After that I gave up the rockets pretty quick....

~Thom

------------------
"It can't rain all the time"

Posts: 153 | From: The Pacific Rock/NAVCOMTELSTA GUAM GU | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2002 05:28      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what preveiw was this? was it one of the trailers on Apple's web site, or was it something else. I must see this flying thing.
Nayt

------------------
Art: making weird people seem interesting since 1503

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Atmosphere
Geek-in-Training
Member # 711

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2002 08:50      Profile for Atmosphere   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it shows up in one of the TV commercials, but it can definitely be seen in trailer 4 "Clone War" from Apple's site at time 1:53.
Posts: 30 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ehwood
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1334

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted May 01, 2002 10:38      Profile for ehwood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend and I saw it on TV as well. It's criminal of them to change R2D2.

------------------
Hi.

macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2002 18:43      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, that is spiffin' cool. I saw it today when i downloaded the trailer and watched it over and over. I missed it last time i saw the trailer. I guess i was just not paying that close of attention.
nayt

------------------
Art: making weird people seem interesting since 1503

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheAnnoyedCockroach
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1115

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2002 18:51      Profile for TheAnnoyedCockroach   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, I'm not too sure about all of this "flying" business. But it makes sense if you think hard enough. I mean, how else did R2 get back into the X-wing on Dagobah?(I've thought this through, can you tell?). You just couldn't see him do it in the Origional Trilogy. So it's not really a change, it's more affirming what I have known for years. Now I feel all smart.

------------------
We are all here my friends, all dogged and spaced but oh so beautiful...

Posts: 1063 | From: The Devil's Dance Floor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
pakratt
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1000

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2002 00:57      Profile for pakratt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what do you mean how did he get back into the xwing on degobah? the force, obviously. if they're slinging around rocks and even lift the ship out of the mud, i'd sure hope they could lift a little rolling trash can up and stick it in a hole. maybe luke couldn't do it just because he had some self esteem problems but master yoda sure could.

what's bothered me is, why is annakin to old to be trained as a jedi but luke isn't? i'm sure that's been explained somewhere but could someone enlighten me?

Posts: 30 | From: LA/GA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 02, 2002 03:46      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he hadn't already survived to episode 4, I'd hope that rolling dustbin would take a swan dive from orbit.

Oh, please, oh please let Jar-Jar have a miserable and degrading death!

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2002 04:29      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- pakratt -
what's bothered me is, why is annakin to old to be trained as a jedi but luke isn't? i'm sure that's been explained somewhere but could someone enlighten me?

But Yoda does complain that Luke is too old:

- Yoda -
I cannot teach him. Much anger in him, like his father.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi -
Was I any different when you taught me?
- Yoda -
He is too old. Yes, too old to begin the training.

Personally, I think it's Yoda's standard objection. He doesn't really believe it, but rather it's his version of a drill sergeant questioning whether a recruit has the potential to endure basic training.

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jidabug
Geek
Member # 779

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2002 07:45      Profile for Jidabug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EngrBohn:
- pakratt -

But Yoda does complain that Luke is too old:

I found myself wondering the same thing when we watched TESB the other night, but I figured that since Luke is the last chance for the Jedi to survive, that Yoda decided he couldn't be too picky.

Posts: 123 | From: No matter where I go, there I am. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2002 10:36      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
R2D2 was actualy suposed to fly in the origianly movies but they didn't have time or the money to make it happen to Lucas' standards. So now he can make the R2 fly. I will find out what scenes he was suposed to fly in and get back to you on that by this evening I hope.

In the SW universe you are not to be trained as a Jedi unless you were pretty much spotted at birth. So anyone over the age of say 2 is too old to start Jedi Training. Or at leaste that is how I have come to understand it. Ohh and not to give too much away but Luke falls to the dark side later in the books ... and then comes back to the light side.

Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hikaru
Alpha Geek
Member # 1142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2002 12:52      Profile for Hikaru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*airhorns*
driver : "hey Mr Lucas, where ya want me to park this Mac Truck?"
Lucas : "just put it in one of those plot holes in the Star Wars scripts, the "Warsies"will never notice it"

------------------
END OF LINE _

Posts: 317 | From: AppleDale, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
GVCarroll
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1346

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2002 20:05      Profile for GVCarroll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh, I don't believe I remember this, I have entierly too much useless knowledge. Well, anyway...

"The little droid beeped at Anakin cheerfully, then wandered over to the edge of the rampway to look at the traffic. In doing so, he leaned out too far and tumbled over. Anakin gasped, but a second later the astromech droid reappeared, boosted back onto the rampway by his onboard jets." -- Episode I novel, Terry Brooks.

~G

Posts: 30 | From: Maine | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
echidna_x
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1340

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted May 02, 2002 20:32      Profile for echidna_x   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Jar Jar, anybody care to know what happens to him? (spoiler under the line)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

They make him a senator and teach him how to speak correctly. He sometimes gets excited and lapses into the meesa yousa crap but recovers. Continuing the Aftrican-American metaphor, I suppose. But anyway, he's only onscreen for about two minutes.

Promise

~Jay

Posts: 3 | From: Beyond the infinite. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hikaru
Alpha Geek
Member # 1142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2002 00:55      Profile for Hikaru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually liked Jar Jar, at least he wasnt a rip off of my name

------------------
END OF LINE _

Posts: 317 | From: AppleDale, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2002 06:34      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hikaru:

whats wrong with you man? You LIKE jarjar? ......

mephisto

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2002 06:50      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hikaru:

whats wrong with you man? You LIKE jarjar? ......

------------------
altashheth

echidna_x
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1340

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted May 04, 2002 09:24      Profile for echidna_x   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jarjar = crap. Jarjar = ruined movie. Jarjar is to Star Wars what Scrappy Doo is to Scooby Doo. Something that was nice and had a good feel going, ruined for some dumbass characters antics. And young Anakin was crap too.
Posts: 3 | From: Beyond the infinite. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
GraphicPower.com
Geek Apprentice
Member # 1180

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2002 09:30      Profile for GraphicPower.com   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Do I sense an ESTES Rocket revival?

Snaggy, I was sooo into Estes rockets when I was a kid. We had rocket shoots at school and I got several of my friends into building rockets.

When she was in high school (middle school maybe?) my daughter and I built a rocket together. It is now a decoration in her mother's living room.

I got into the whole thing with doing the trig to calculate the altitude and I studied a whole bunch of aerodynamic stuff. I was watching something on the Discovery Science channel a few days ago that chonicled the rocket development work done by Goddard and Werner von Braun. I remember that I used to read articles by von Braun.

I was interviewed by Prof. Jim Head at Brown University in Providence, RI for a position in a NASA funded project on planetary geology. (Jim Head used to be a scientist at the Goddard Space Center.) I was beat out of the job by a cartographer. I would have LOVED that job.

Posts: 41 | From: Philadelphia, PA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Weener-Cat
Newbie Larva
Member # 1354

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2002 16:39      Profile for Weener-Cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lord Vader what is your command,
I feel like taking the Executor out for a spin,
Sir its not in its berth in the dock,
oh, chec one of the plot holes in the script, I think I might have parked it there last night when I came in drunk.

------------------
great Googli Mooglies Ghost

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture