homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » earthquakes are k3\/\/1!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: earthquakes are k3\/\/1!
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 10 posted April 20, 2002 19:02      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.wwlp.com/news/earthquake/index.html

i slept through the 1st one, woke up for the 2nd for about 10 seconds and knew it was an earthquake - but then thought, naaa - hadda be a big truck going past but of course, there's no way a truck big enough could go through this immediate area, birds were still making noise
aren't they 'spose to STOP making noise when earthquakes happen? (no dogs around here, oddly enough..)
i looked arond and didn't see anything still moving, - and my car alarm didn't go off, but another on the street did, but it had gone off w/o good cause a few times in the last 3 days so i though nothing of it...so i went right back to sleep and slept through the 3rd one lol

so, this makes a total of 14 quakes i've been through, 9 while awake

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2002 08:05      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, i never heard anything on the news. It must be kinda scarry haveing an earthquake near where you live. I have never had them around here so i have no idea. i would have though that one would have been on the news at least.
nayt

------------------
Art: making weird people seem interesting since 1503

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TechnoGram
Alpha Geek
Member # 1097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2002 09:34      Profile for TechnoGram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i heard it was felt all the way from canada down to maryland. but my kids in nyc didn't feel a thing, and neither did we in the poconos. there have several other quakes in the northeast that lots of other people felt, but we didn't cuz we're on granite bedrock.

but when i was a trip to san francisco i felt a very mild tremor under my feet, and it scared the h#ll out of me; the whole tall building was swaying, and i was afraid it would turn into a big one.

------------------
Free Speech Is The Right To Shout 'Theater' In A Crowded Fire.

Posts: 250 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2002 11:19      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't feel a thing and I was in the area. Being from the NW and all where tremors of that size are not exactly rare, I was surprised at all the damage done to the roads. 5.1's don;t make messes like that where I'm from!

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2002 15:03      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
out here in the west quakes have to be a little bigger to get our attention. We are a tougher breed and anything less than a 6 is considered a wussy quake. I kinda feel sorry for those in the NY area though as I am sure most of them thought it was another terrorist attack. Even a puny 5er might have been a bit too much for those shattered nerves. I suppose next a comet will hit or a tidal wave will flatten the NY coastline..........Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheAnnoyedCockroach
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1115

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2002 18:41      Profile for TheAnnoyedCockroach   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...

If this house is a'rockin', don't come a'knockin'!

Lord, I can't believe I'm going to push that submit button now...

------------------
If you flip a coin a thousand times, how many times would it end up heads?

Posts: 1063 | From: The Devil's Dance Floor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
MightyJoeSakic
Geek
Member # 1332

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2002 08:29      Profile for MightyJoeSakic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm stuck in Guam with the US Navy, and Guam has tremors all the time. We've had one substantial quake while i was here. Luckily I quickly stabilized my computer in time to save it from a nasty tumble lol. We only lost power for about a day and a half so it probably counts as a wussy quake even though it was more than a 7.0..... Now I just gotta wait for a nice typhoon to drop by so I can experience the other natural disaster that Guam has to offer.

------------------
I just came in to use the bathroom.....

Posts: 153 | From: The Pacific Rock/NAVCOMTELSTA GUAM GU | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
FatGnome
Highlie
Member # 1068

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2002 10:08      Profile for FatGnome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only been 3 quakes that I know of that i have lived through. One was when I was a todeler and I was sleeping on the botom bunk of my newly made bunkbed. The bed came apart and the top bunk slamed into the bottom. Luckily my mom had grabed me and run outside with me. The next was some time later and I don't know how old I was other than I was under 12. Anyway we were all just kicking around and felt the ground shake and it threw some stuff off of shelves but nothing major. The latest one is one that originated about 60 miles from my house that registered a 6.8 or something like that. Middle of Idaho is a fun place to live but we sleep through anything smaller than a 5.0 so I only know of 3 that have stories with them.
Posts: 559 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2002 18:20      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I would have called it "k3\/\/1" since I mostly sat here looking at my desk shake and wondered what on earth was causing it. By the time I came to the conclusion it may in fact be a earthquake it was over.

------------------
"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."
-Michael Sinz

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
MightyJoeSakic
Geek
Member # 1332

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted April 27, 2002 11:55      Profile for MightyJoeSakic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darnit!!! I mocked the quake and it came back. We were hit with another earthquake Friday night(Friday morning for you back in the states).

I guess I shouldn't have mocked the last quake and called it a wussy one. This just sucks. We're workin on 29 hours now without power. I'll never make another joke about a third world country again.

It's sad when you can't go without a computer, and you actually go into work where there is an uninterruptible power source just so you can be online.

~Thom

------------------
I just came in to use the bathroom.....

Posts: 153 | From: The Pacific Rock/NAVCOMTELSTA GUAM GU | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2002 13:24      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm sorry to say that I've never experienced an earthquake. Oh well...I would like to though! I'm trying to move to CA right now!

Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2002 21:38      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
then when you get there, the "Big One" strikes, destroying your house adn killing all those you love. Then you will not be wanting to live thorugh one.
Nayt

------------------
Art: making weird people seem interesting since 1503

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture