homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Magnetic oxygen defies gravity.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magnetic oxygen defies gravity.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 20, 2002 16:26      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neat!
Magnetic oxygen defies gravity, and drips up.

http://cbc.ca/stories/2002/02/20/oxygen020220

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
shogarde
Mini Geek
Member # 1124

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2002 17:01      Profile for shogarde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cool.

d'you think they'll figure out a way to really use that?

Posts: 65 | From: hmm...let's see. there's a leprichaun talking to me, maybe i'm in ireland | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2002 17:34      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what fun. now, can i do that in my living room?
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2002 19:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda cool, I guess, but ferrous metals defy gravity the same way by being pulled up to a magnet just overhead all the time.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2002 19:42      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but is it really defying gravity, or being acted on my a force that is stronger than gravity.
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fesh
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1137

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2002 19:43      Profile for Fesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Discovered"? It's just paramagnetism... There was a picture of it on the cover of my chemistry textbook. Drop liquid oxygen between two poles of a really strong horseshoe magnet, and it suspends itself in midair until it boils off.

Now you wanna talk useful applications of L02...

http://ghg.ecn.purdue.edu/~ghg/

You have to scroll down a bit to get my point, but nothing good comes without effort. Or something.

------------------
Kill -9 'em all, let [email protected] sort 'em out.

Posts: 34 | From: Clinton, MS, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2002 21:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by macadddikt18:
but is it really defying gravity, or being acted on my a force that is stronger than gravity.
Nayt

It's being acted on by a force stronger than gravity. If you're very careful with some magnets you can make things float via repulsion (think MagLev trains).
There, that about exhausts everything I actually understood from physics last spring.

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2002 22:57      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Will they turn thing into vehicle? It's our future!
Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2002 03:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dreadful article. The oxygen isn't 'defying'
gravity at all - it's simply that the Meissner effect is pushing the O2 upwards. Are you 'defying' gravity when you walk up the stairs?

------------------
/* I often wonder where Norman is now. Probably
wintering in Guildford with his Mother and
the rain, vim under the sink, and both bars on.*/

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2002 04:45      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by spungo: Are you 'defying' gravity when you walk up the stairs?
Yes. Gravity wants me to stay on the first floor. Climbing stairs is like slapping it in the face. Sometimes Gravity punishes me by making my lunch fall to the floor.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2002 05:13      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Will ignore trollish fatuity.

------------------
/* I often wonder where Norman is now. Probably wintering with his Mother in Guildford with
a cat, the rain, vim under the sink, and both bars on.*/

macadddikt18
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2002 05:54      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am just happy that gravity on earth is not as strong as on some other planets.
Nayt

------------------

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2002 09:30      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
spungo: It's not trollish, I'm just trying to get people to laugh.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2002 10:09      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies, quantumfluff. Bad day. (My job would be *SO* much easier if it wasn't for the users !)

------------------
/* I often wonder where Norman is now. Probably wintering with his Mother in Guildford with
a cat, the rain, vim under the sink, and both bars on.*/

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2002 10:30      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem. People constantly misunderstand my humor when they can't see the expression on my face. I could use a smily to help, but I think that's too much of a give away.
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted February 21, 2002 15:50      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cool...........Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
shogarde
Mini Geek
Member # 1124

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2002 21:33      Profile for shogarde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i personally found that extremely funny, quantumfluff. i don't know why, but i laughed out loud when i read that-

i think that we should all take up arms against gravity. we'll show that SOB what we're made of. i'm gonna go climb my staircase a few times.

------------------
I are moose octopus. I having much buttons to push.

Posts: 65 | From: hmm...let's see. there's a leprichaun talking to me, maybe i'm in ireland | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 22, 2002 07:15      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gravity! Naaah! The Earth just sucks.
Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2002 09:01      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by shogarde:
i personally found that extremely funny, quantumfluff. i don't know why, but i laughed out loud when i read that-

Thank you. That's the service I hope to provide. All the better if your drink comes spewing out your nose when it happens. When I can get someone to noser in a meeting at work I feel like the king of the world. (you're never to old to be childish)

Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2002 11:35      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by shogarde:
i'm gonna go climb my staircase a few times.

But wouldn't that also involve climbing *down* your staircase a few times, thereby letting gravity have it's way with you?

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2002 12:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
spungo wrote:
Dreadful article. The oxygen isn't 'defying'
gravity at all - it's simply that the Meissner effect is pushing the O2 upwards.

Not quite. The Meissner effect is what kept the magnet suspended above the superconductor. The liquid oxygen was formed by condensation on the surface of the liquid nitrogen (I think it was nitrogen, anyway... the site seems to be having trouble so I can't check) and then was pulled upwards by it's attraction to the magnetic force from the magnet, not repelled from the superconductor. In the absence of a superconductor (and thus the Meissner effect), a strong magnet will still attract liquid oxygen quite readily.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture