homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Attention Geeks... Special Announcement (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Attention Geeks... Special Announcement
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 24, 2002 15:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for joining me here today.

I have a very special announcement, something we've been working on for days now, and I am very pleased to be able to make this public here for you today.

We have started a distributed.net team! It's an amazing breakthrough, one that will revolutionize and galvanize the GeekCulture Community, and I know you're going to love it.

And so, without further adieu, I introduce RedNivek to fill you in on the incredible details of Team Geekculture, ....

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 14 posted January 24, 2002 15:37            Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, thanks Steve... I mean Snaggy...

Snaggy has formed a Geekculture Team to crack the RC5 code!

Since you're all geeks, I'm thinking that a couple of links will get you where you need to be, to follow Snaggy to glory.

I might also add that the winning team (read: geekculture.com) receives $1000 USD and the winning person on that team also receives $1000 USD. The object is to have your computer, in its spare idle CPU cycles, crack a 64 bit encrypted code.... but you already knew that.

distributed.net:
http://www.distributed.net

geekculture team stats:
http://stats.distributed.net/rc5-64/tmsummary.php3?team=925184131

snaggy's personal stats:
http://stats.distributed.net/rc5-64/psummary.php3?id=378792

What you do to get involved:

1) Download the software
http://www.distributed.net/download/clients.html

2) Install and run the software.
It will ask for your email address and you will use this later to check your stats. MAKE SURE YOU ONLY SIGN UP FOR RC5. The software runs 4 different cracking programs, but you want all your efforts for RC5.

3) After running the software for about a day (it will automatically download uncracked packets of data and upload processed packets)... you will be a registered member of the distributed.net family.
Check for yourself, using your email address, here:
http://stats.distributed.net/rc5-64/
(enter your email address for participant and then search).

4) Go to the bottom of your stats (which should look like Snaggy's) and press the button to "Send me my password". You will then receive your password via email and can modify your online name and other cute stuff.

5) Go to the Geekculture Team stats page, scroll down, click on "I want to join this team" and then enter your user id (your email address) and your password (the one you got in email from step 4).
About a day later (there are daily database updates) you will show up as being a member of the team... and your processed packets will display and be attributed to the team.

6) When/if you crack the code, you'll receive an email and then you get $1000 and geekculture.com gets $1000.

You'll run this in your spare CPU cycles (it steps out of the way for anything else you run) and you may win money for yourself and geekculture... and most of all it will be fun to compare how much data you can process per day versus others... and how our team does versus other teams!

IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted January 24, 2002 15:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rednivek! Incredible!

Oh, there's just one more thing....

The $1000 share that Geekculture.com gets.... it will be distributed among the rest of the team members!

Update: OK, here are the official rules for being part of the Team split: Your last submission must have been made within 18 days of the win, and you have to have submitted blocks at least 25% of the days from joining until the team wins. How does that sound?

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Clarus
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted January 24, 2002 16:37            Edit/Delete Post 
So the geeks have finally decided to get involved in RC5-64 eh? It's been actively worked on for more than 4 years already, but "newbies" are always welcome to join. Provided, of course, that they don't find the winning key before I do

I'd issue Geek Culture a friendly challenge to try to catch my team, The Dogcows, but even though there are only 2 of us, we have a rather large head start. Right now we're 4,820,000 blocks ahead of the Geek Culture team and it's likely the contest will end before you can make up that kind of difference. Still, a little incentive never hurt any effort. Catch me if you can.

Moof!

Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2002 17:39            Edit/Delete Post 
Note that the winner finds the randomly placed key in the pile. That means you could process one key and win... or do it for years and never win.. but its also interesting to compare stats on keys processed per day.

SpacemanSpiff22
Mini Geek
Member # 1078

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted January 24, 2002 18:00      Profile for SpacemanSpiff22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm joining!

------------------
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof
is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. --Douglas Adams

Posts: 85 | From: Geek-o-sphere 42 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2002 18:42      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, i have no idea where i missed this, but what the heck is RC5 or what not?
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2002 19:25            Edit/Delete Post 
Its kinda like this:

A central server has a bunch of 64bit encrypted keys. 1 key is randomly chosen as THE key to crack.

You download decryption software. The software grabs handfuls of the keys from the server, decrypts them and sends the results back up to the server.

The server keeps stats like how many keys you process per second, day, etc... and your team totals as well.

If you upload THE one chosen key decrypted then you and your team win and get money.

DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2002 21:50      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in... G4-ing all the way!

Anyone know if there's a perfomance hit for running the classic verion under OS X?

bd

--
Really liked Steve, er, Snaggy's intro!

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
macadddikt18
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1082

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2002 05:15      Profile for macadddikt18   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, all makes sence now, sign me up, i will set several machines to work on it.
Nayt

------------------
Through out your life you will wonder who THEY are. Then you find out who THEY really are. From then on you live you life in fear of THEM and you wish you never knew who THEY were.

Posts: 1870 | From: In a world beyond your understanding | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2002 06:14      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did this for a few years but eventually abandoned it. The problem was that I kept forgetting about it, and then I would see unexpected activity going through my firewall and I would start hunting it down. My brain is such a seive that I could not remember what the weird traffic was. I would waste about a half a day every few months. Stupid, I know, but when you are responsible for network security at your company, you start getting paranoid about things like that.

BTW. Do NOT try this in your office unless you get explicit permission. There is at least one known case of a guy getting fired for loading it up on a pool of machines where he worked.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
platypus
Alpha Geek
Member # 991

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2002 07:25      Profile for platypus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*joins for the helluvit*

after all, doesn't hurt me and I can get cash, right?

------------------
pages:
www.thelemur.net
www.saintehlers.com
www.squishbox.org

Posts: 302 | From: Provo, UT | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2002 09:26      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like this bit:

"The odds are 1 in 369 that we will wrap this thing
up in the next 24 hours. (This also means that we'll
exhaust the keyspace in 369 days at yesterday's rate.) "

Snaggy, my G4s are at your command. I should be getting another one next month, hopefully.

Interestingly enough, top says that dnetc is currently using 190% of my cpu space. heh.

------------------
The Matrix Cereal: There Is No Spoon

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 25, 2002 15:52      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. May my PPC's and G4 server you well.

Kevin
--
Okay, so maybe only 1 PPC, but it's a 240.. sigh..

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2002 16:46      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in! 1 PIII-500, 1 Athlon XP 1600.

-Andrew

Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
donnab
Mini Geek
Member # 1092

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2002 19:10      Profile for donnab         Edit/Delete Post 
I installed it on my iMac Graphite SE 600, but now my mouse cursor keeps flashing constantly. Anyone else having that problem? OS9.1 - 256RAM

Never mind. I fixed it. I had installed the OGR also, by mistake. After disabling it, the cursor stopped flashing. I was getting ready to use ResEdit to turn the cursor into a beating heart for Valentine's Day.

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2002 06:39      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And then, some of us have been doing RC5 since the days of the mighty 80486. (Actually, I joined distributed.net during the RC5-56 contest. And while I don't have any really fast computers [and yes, PowerPC processors kick mucho ass on RC5], every little bit helps.)
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
°Aaron
Discontinued

Icon 6 posted January 27, 2002 11:29            Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so I'm going to run this but its a command line program under OS X so any of you programmers out there... can you find a way to make it an app? There is a wrapper but I don't know if or how much I like it. Afterall the source code is posted

Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2002 12:21      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a way to get it to start up with the rest of the unix components of the system. You can probably do it using the standard unix stuff, but I'm using the StartupItems folder to do it. I should probably make an automated installer for this, shouldn't I? Hmmm... I'll get back to you on it.
Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2002 15:53            Edit/Delete Post 
One thing you could do with OS X is to put it in a cron so that it will run even when you arent logged in.

Example:
Lets say dnetc is in /Applications/dnetc
Create a file there called startrc5.sh with these contents:
#!/bin/sh
if [ `ps -ax|grep dnetc|grep -v grep|wc -l` -lt 1 ]; then
./dnetc -hide -l logfile
fi

make startrc5.sh executable (chmod 755 startrc5.sh)

And then crontab -e
and add:

3,33 * * * * cd /Applications/dnetc; ./startrc5.sh

startrc5.sh (file in your dnetc folder

Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2002 16:25      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, OSX users, downloading this and running the install script (yes, from the console) should set dnet to run automatically at boot. It includes dnetc itself and a configuration file that makes logs and only does RC5.

http://homepage.mac.com/lex42/osxdnet.sit

Enjoy. Unless it doesn't work. In that case, weep quietly to yourself. Or ask someone for help. Or follow Red's instructions. Or just run it manually.

platypus
Alpha Geek
Member # 991

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2002 07:11      Profile for platypus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got my password and joined the team.
</useless update>

------------------
pages:
www.thelemur.net
www.saintehlers.com
www.squishbox.org

Posts: 302 | From: Provo, UT | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aaron
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1096

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted January 28, 2002 07:52      Profile for Aaron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally registered on the forums and joined the team... oh what an exciting day now only if my stats would update and it would actually show me as part of the team. I wish it would tell you what kind of processor and speed everyone had so that I could compare my kkey rate to other computers. Know how well G4s tend to do? I might just put it on my friends while Im updating him to OS X too bad it isnt a dual 1 GHz :( He's only got the old 400 MHz. Ok so for now no more 'hey macs aren't even breaking the GHz barrier'. Lame Motorolla sheesh!

-Aaron
Biomedical Engineering Major (no free or social time)

Posts: 30 | From: University of Iowa | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2002 07:59            Edit/Delete Post 
This G4-450 seems to crank about 3Mkeys/sec
Rednivek
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2002 08:02            Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! I wonder if we'll get up to 12 participants, then its time for:

The Team Goods!

Respond there if you're interested. Someone will get a free t-shirt!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

New Poll   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture