homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » FW: Prepare thyself for groan-age.... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: FW: Prepare thyself for groan-age....
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2003 07:39            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we are still all different, either way - as long as we don't fall into the trap of insisting that people must be a certain way mentally or physically because everyone else is (I know I've done that).
IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2003 11:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhhh, I can force warmth into my hands if I concentrate hard enough. Does that count for anything? Beyond retaining my fingers?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2003 12:39            Edit/Delete Post 
*looks at your "From:" line...* Once a lab rat, forever a lab rat?

Hmm...dunno... You know, what I'm thinking now is whether everyone has a property that makes them different, or not? And if not, would we end up going down an élitism/bragging (and thus false claims) road?

I can't judge whether what you were able to do is normal or not – far from it that I could ever know what people are able to do and why, really. I'd like some stats on when I'm napping in a lecture, to what proportion of times have I genuinely been able to sense, while not conscious, that Steve (or Ian or whoever) is looking at me, as being watched by them seems to wake me up. How could I tell, on so many occasions? Moreover, on how many other occasions have I remained asleep? How many times have I awoken when not being watched? I don't know – I guess I should ask, but Steve might not check his e-mail for a few decades yet, and his life's policy is to refuse to reply to them anyhow.

My dad described how he could sense the proximity of objects close to his forehead with his eyes closed, when he was a child – he'd get a burning sensation in his forehead. I don't know whether there is any connection here.

I also wonder – on a number of occasions, I have got the impression that I reason subconsciously, with my mind passing up a gut feeling to my conscious mind as the result of its considerations. Of course – I cannot ever justify what I think, as I have no idea how I reached that conclusion. But I can recall discovering afterwards that I was right, and on finding out why, something clicks in my head, as though I'm connecting my concious mind back to the original reasoning made subconsciously. My memory is too hazy to give a definite or accurate description, but I do wonder – is this just me? Does anyone else experience this? Is what I feel is happening correct, or is it an incorrect supposition, for something with a different, correct answer?

And why, when I was about 11 or 12, would attempting to sit down on a Sunday morning and do my school homework put me to sleep? I just couldn't work – my brain would internally protest and I'd just feel too tired to work. I don't know about then, but in more recent years at least, I can't even think straight any more, I feel that tired.

*shrugs*

"ugly bags of mostly water", some alien on Star Trek described us as. Well, we're a pretty varied and weird bunch of them, certainly...

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2003 13:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be back in the lab come late August. For now I'm a lab rat on the lam. In other words, dragon fodder. [Wink]

uilleann, you're taking this all way too seriously my friend.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2003 16:07            Edit/Delete Post 
The impact which the final point (wrt sleep) has had on my life is concerning, so it is more like I never took it seriously enough.

And what can I say – I have a distinct serious side to my nature. Maybe you don't personally give a toss about the above the post, but does that need to detract from and devalue the curiosity contained within? I suspect the post will drop into oblivion like any do where I try to discuss anything serious – this entire website seems to be the entirely wrong place to discuss anything of the sort.

And I thus don't feel particularly inclined to make any effort now to recall or locate any more groanable jokes.

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2003 16:37      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uillean have you noticed this thread is for jokes? Sometimes your posts really remind me of Eeyore in Winnie the Pooh. I know that Xanthine with her ridiculous bouncy energy is a bit of a Tigger too which would irritate an Eeyore. But please lighten up, get blitzed or otherwise turn your brain off and have some mindless fun. It is possible that your smiling reflex might then get slightly restored too. [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted June 16, 2003 16:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I'll be back in the lab come late August. For now I'm a lab rat on the lam. In other words, dragon fodder. [Wink]
[snip]

Mmm, that sounds good [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2003 19:55            Edit/Delete Post 
Callipygous:
As should be clear above – had I felt more inclined (which I would have been had I not felt like my serious posts were being objectively viewed as invalid), I may have gone and dug out some more groan-worthy jokes, but I did not feel so inclined – a waste of effort on unworthy readers.

I am far less likely to smile after reading what Xanthine wrote than I under more positive circumstances, and you're not going to make me smile either – more like want to hit my head on a wall.

This topic has evolved outside of the restraints of its surroundings – if you have any views on ways to improve on the method by which forum topics grow, then why not put them forwards. Otherwise, don't complain about it.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2003 22:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I know that Xanthine with her ridiculous bouncy energy is a bit of a Tigger too which would irritate an Eeyore.

The wonderful thing about Tiggers/is their tails are made of springs....

*BOINK* *BOINK*
sorry cal, uillean. Were those your heads?

[Big Grin]

In spite of my inability to come up with a good pun I'm doing my best to keep this thread from getting ponderous...help me!!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 16, 2003 22:58      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Xanthine, this one's for you:

Q: Why are mouse balls so small?
A: Because so few of them know how to dance.

[crazy]

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2003 23:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!

--------------------
- The Decemberists

maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2003 23:49      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my god! Xanthine boinked uileann!
Posts: 71 | From: Umeć, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 00:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jess, where I am, I see that some sick, possibly jealous people remove the balls from some mice!

The other day I had to cut one's cord, that was a gruesome affair :-/.

Lately, I've some news about mice that are born without balls, and eyes down there instead - I don't really want to know much about this.

Okay, it's "Ten Past Three" - I should sleep...

Anyway, did you hear about the programmar's wife who was jealous of the Bourne Again SHell?
She thought he was being unfaithful with his seemingly perverse scripts...she said there was no chance of her banging that bash, why did he keep putting it in his comments?
[okay that's a real stretch]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 02:22      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the groan-age...

A man says to his doctor "I have a case of the crabs!"
Doctor says "Oh, is it bad?"
"Well, I have to walk sideways to work."

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 05:19      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did the snail say while riding the turtle?

"weeeee!"

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 05:22      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's brown and sticky?

A stick.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 12:48      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q: What did Zero say to Eight?

A: "Nice belt!"

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 13:01      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why was six afraid of seven?

Because seven ate nine. *courtesy laugh*

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Punk Rawk Poet
Assimilated
Member # 2174

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 13:11      Profile for Punk Rawk Poet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Noooooo. The groanage... is... too much... Life force fading... Wow, those remind me of jokes I used to hear in like kindergarten. It's actually a bit sad because now that i
ve 'grown up' [shake head] [Roll Eyes] All I can ever think of are innappropriate jokes and so forth. I have to admit I was really scared at the beginning of Spungo's last post.

Q: How many geeks does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: None. The light coming from the moniter and LED's ought to be enough.

--------------------
The cat came back...
~A song from my primary school days

Posts: 447 | From: Boringville , USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 13:52      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
What did the snail say while riding the turtle?

"weeeee!"

eh??? aren't turtles bigger than snails?
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 17, 2003 14:18      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but you see, the snail was riding atop the turtle, which, to the snail, seemed to be going fast. [Razz]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 14:26      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:

I also wonder – on a number of occasions, I have got the impression that I reason subconsciously, with my mind passing up a gut feeling to my conscious mind as the result of its considerations. Of course – I cannot ever justify what I think, as I have no idea how I reached that conclusion. But I can recall discovering afterwards that I was right, and on finding out why, something clicks in my head, as though I'm connecting my concious mind back to the original reasoning made subconsciously.

just lateral thinking u. you should learn to trust it. the older i get, the more i trust my intuition.

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 12 posted June 17, 2003 17:31      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q: How did Darth Vader know what Luke Skywalker was getting for Christmas?

A: He felt his presents.

.........Z

Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 22:31            Edit/Delete Post 
*looks at cheezi's post*
*moves on - this is not the place*

Get back to your jokes everyone.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture