homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Get Rid of Telemarketers (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Get Rid of Telemarketers
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 08:02      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. If they want to loan you money, tell them you just filed for bankruptcy and you could sure use some money.

2. If they start out with, "How are you today?" say, "I'm so glad you asked, because no one these days seems to care, and I have all these problems. My arthritis is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my dog just died . . . "

3. If they say they're John Doe from XYZ Company, ask them to spell their name. Then ask them to spell the company name. Then ask them where it is located, how long it has been in business, how many people work there, how they got into this line of work if they are married, how many kids they have etc. Continue asking them personal questions or questions about their company for as long as necessary.

4. (This works great if you are male)
Telemarketer: "Hi, my name is Judy and I'm with XYZ Company. "
You: Wait for a second and with a real husky voice ask, "What are you wearing?"

5. Cry out in surprise, "Judy? Is that you? Oh my God! Judy, how have you been?" Hopefully, this will give Judy a few brief moments of terror as she tries to figure out where she could know you from.

6. Say "No" over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each one, and keep a rhythmic tempo, even as they are trying to speak. This is most fun if you can do it until they hang up.

7. If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up for the Family and Friends Plan reply, in as sinister a voice as you can, "I don't have any friends, would you be my friend?"

8. If the company cleans rugs, respond: "Can you get out blood? Can you get out goat blood? How about human blood?"

9. After the Telemarketer gives his or her spiel, ask him or her to marry you. When they get all flustered, tell them that you can't just give your credit card number to a complete stranger.

10. If the Telemarketer is selling raffle tickets, tell him or her that you work for the same company, and that employees cannot participate.

11. Answer the phone. As soon as you realize it is a Telemarketer, set the receiver down, scream, "OH MY GOD!" and then hang up.

12. Tell the Telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask if he/she will give you their home phone number so you can call him/her back. When the Telemarketer explains that telemarketers cannot give out their home numbers say, "I guess you don't want anyone bothering you at home, right?" The Telemarketer will agree and you say, "Me either!" and proceed to hang up.

13. Ask them to repeat everything they say, several times.

14. Tell them it is dinner time, but ask if they would please hold. Put them on your speaker phone while you continue to eat at your leisure. Smack your food loudly and continue with your dinner conversation. For added effect, clanging of cutlery and dishes is recommended.

15. Tell the Telemarketer you are on "home incarceration" and ask if they could bring you some beer.

16. Ask them to fax the information to you, and make up a number.

17. Tell the Telemarketer, "Okay, I'll listen to you. But I should probably tell you, I'm not wearing any clothes."

18. Insist that the caller is really your buddy Leon, playing a joke. "Come on, Leon, cut it out! Seriously, Leon, how's your momma?"

19. Tell them you are hard of hearing and that they need to speak up... louder... louder!

20. Tell them to talk very slowly, because you want to write every word down.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 08:54            Edit/Delete Post 
I always have fun giving tele-marketers a hard time, I'll have to try a few of those out. I haven't tried it yet but here's a counter-script you can try.

Also I keep forgetting to record this .wav file file on my voice mail to see if it works. It is the same tone the tele-zapper plays, but I saw a news report recently and the tele-marketers are starting to use new technology that bypasses it. Sneaky bastards [Mad]

IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 09:11            Edit/Delete Post 

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 09:14      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought of another one.

Ask the telemarketer for their e-mail address because you are an online advertiser and you like to send them your offers. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 12:37            Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it depends on what proportion of telemarketers take on the job because of their natural sadistic tendencies, and how many do it just because they really need a job.
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2003 16:37      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:
Ask the telemarketer for their e-mail address because you are an online advertiser and you like to send them your offers. [Big Grin]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
ROTFLMAO

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2003 14:34      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the cruelest thing to do is to simply ask them to hold, set the phone down, and leave them indefinitely. I've gone out and seen a movie before.

Most call centers have this policy, you see, where the person calling you is not allowed to hang up the phone on you under any circumstances and they'll get in trouble if their stats show hangups at the end of the day....

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2003 14:41            Edit/Delete Post 
I've invited them to come on over and give me an estimate when they call me about refinancing, new aluminum siding, new windows or adding an addition to my home. I say "sure, you have a great research department, I'm in an apartment complex, but come on over!"
Cinders117
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2109

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2003 17:26      Profile for Cinders117   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by evilbibo:
new aluminum siding, new windows or adding an addition to my home.

My dad enjoyed telling them that we lived in a cave and didn't have windows and didn't need the siding. Also used that on carpet cleaning people and when it was basement waterproofing, the cave was on a high hill. A few times they asked if they could come and see anyways. He enjoyed making up stories like that, just the "I've had a hard day as a gangster" didn't go over well with one telemarketer but fortunatly the police cheif knew he liked to joke around with people.
Posts: 2 | From: Kent, OHio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2003 22:52      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. If they want to loan you money, tell them you just filed for bankruptcy and you could sure use some money.
Typically, they will see green as they prepare to pounce. This means they have no other major debts remaining, and you can give them a really high intrest rate.... [Razz] ...I don't do loans, I only call for things I believe in, hence why I work at The Rep.

2. If they start out with, "How are you today?" say, "I'm so glad you asked, because no one these days seems to care, and I have all these problems. My arthritis is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my dog just died . . . "
I never ask it, because do indeed tell you how they are, if they bing it up, I say, "I'm great, thanks for asking. Your evenings are your time, so I'll be breif."

3. If they say they're John Doe from XYZ Company, ask them to spell their name. Then ask them to spell the company name.
"My name is spelled (I spell it out, but won't here for security reasons) The Milwaukee Rep R-E-P is a comunity icon, celebrating it's 50th aniversery, you came down to see the play X with us, and we're calling to invite you out for four wonderful nights of music and comedy begining in the fall. It'll be in the Stackner, our dinner theater, where you can have dirnks and apitizers while you enjoy ...."
If they get to ask:
Then ask them where it is located, how long it has been in business, how many people work there,
I tell them, "108 E. Wells, Milwaukee WI 53202, it's, as I said our 50th year of operation, and we're a rather large company... We have a resident acting company of sixteen wounderful resident actors... In fact Lee Ernst is reprising his roll as Rollie this year, you remember last year when he played in Escape from happiness and was tied up through intermission right?"
If they get to ask the next set shame on me!how they got into this line of work if they are married, how many kids they have etc. Continue asking them personal questions or questions about their company for as long as necessary.
But I answer, I'm not married, no kids, and I love the arts. The fact of the matter is that my job is to bring the audience to the theater, bring joy into their life. Let me bring that joy in your life... The best seats are still availible and we can take care of everything right over the phone, It'll $105 a preson for the regular section, and $125 for the Prime... Which would you prefer, the regular, or will you treat your self to the prime?

4. (modified to fit the circumstances)
Me: "Hi, my name is GM and I'm with XYZ Company. I'll be brief"
Coustomer: Wait for a second and with a real husky voice ask, "What are you wearing?"

Me: Clothes. You came down to see Shear Madness with us, right?

5. Cry out in surprise, "GM? Is that you? Oh my God! Judy, how have you been?" Hopefully, this will give Judy a few brief moments of terror as she tries to figure out where she could know you from.
"That's what I said, your friend at the rep. I don't have a note here about talking to you before, my note aren't always ass complete as they should be, which series were we talking about?" Typically because I often forget to make notes about the calls, when doing a call back... It wouldn't throw me, I would just think I was slacking again.

6. Say "No" over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each one, and keep a rhythmic tempo, even as they are trying to speak. This is most fun if you can do it until they hang up.
I'd do one of two things: hang up after the third time I tried to speak, and call back asking for the parent, or count it as a no and move on to the next one.

7. If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up for the Family and Friends Plan reply, in as sinister a voice as you can, "I don't have any friends, would you be my friend?"
Hehe, of I'd pitch them The Rep.

8. If the company cleans rugs, respond: "Can you get out blood? Can you get out goat blood? How about human blood?"
Hehe... Me like.

9. After the Telemarketer gives his or her spiel, ask him or her to marry you. When they get all flustered, tell them that you can't just give your credit card number to a complete stranger.
I'd decline the marraige proposal, and go about telling them how to use the phone book to call us back, and verify my employment, and that I will call back in half an hour if they want to call the better bussniess bureau. If still resist, tell them that most Credit cards have a 0% liability, that there is a state law that says we can't chanrge it for 72 hours, and then refer them to the check washing ring that was all over the front page of the Milwaukee Journal Senitinal a few months back. That it is safer to use a credit card, because they can always decline payment... but a signed check is a blank check... Then wave the handling, then agree to marry them, but they have to sign up for all the series, in the best seats, on the most expensive night.... And they can't be mad at me for being in love with my Sky.

10. If the Telemarketer is selling raffle tickets, tell him or her that you work for the same company, and that employees cannot participate.
Hmmm... He could look it up and get back to you about it... You'd be better of saying that your company donated the XYZ, which means that you cannot legally participate.... hehe.

11. Answer the phone. As soon as you realize it is a Telemarketer, set the receiver down, scream, "OH MY GOD!" and then hang up.
And expect the ambulance (well here a fire truck is always first on the scene) and cops... as we call the 911 thinking the worst. Something similar happened to us back at the Symphony, one of the reps was on the phone, and the dpg pulled the phone off the wall, the woman was in the middle of saying something, so the rep knew it wasn't an intentional hang up. He called back, and no one picked up (she was fighting with the dog, and had children pleading for attention or something) and so the symphony called 911, 911 dialed her number, no answer, and sent out a squad and a fire truck... We called back, out of curiousity and concern, to find out if she was alright. She was angry at us for having to explain it all to the police, and was gratful for our sympathy... she baught the cheapest series, I think just as a thank you.

12. Tell the Telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask if he/she will give you their home phone number so you can call him/her back. When the Telemarketer explains that telemarketers cannot give out their home numbers say, "I guess you don't want anyone bothering you at home, right?" The Telemarketer will agree and you say, "Me either!" and proceed to hang up.
No, I have no problem with giving out my number. I'd say, my home number is .... , if I don't hear from you in a week, I'll call you back. I have no problem with them knowing my number if it means money for the rep, and money for ... well ... me.

13. Ask them to repeat everything they say, several times.
Yeah, and? I have a soft voice, and we have old patrons... I have no problem repeating myeslf... I have no problem repeating my self. I don't have a problem with repeating myself.

14. Tell them it is dinner time, but ask if they would please hold. Put them on your speaker phone while you continue to eat at your leisure. Smack your food loudly and continue with your dinner conversation. For added effect, clanging of cutlery and dishes is recommended.
"No, I can't hold, I don't want to keep you. I'm sorry for bothering you, we'll try again later." Your mistake was to 'ask.' Instead, 'I'm busy eating, please hold the line.' would be preferable.

15. Tell the Telemarketer you are on "home incarceration" and ask if they could bring you some beer.
"I'm sorry, I'm here untill 9, and don't dirnk. However, the rest of the crew will stop by to visit, and get plastered with you. Your still at ..... ?"

16. Ask them to fax the information to you, and make up a number.
Great. You didn't waste us any money on mail... "send me something" ... which we ave a better responce to.... actually I would give it for a fax as well... in fact with a Fax I'd call back in 5 minutes to "make sure it went through alright" anyway, and I'd then go about explaining the paper they'd just recieved. ... i.e. the pitch would be FAR from over.

17. Tell the Telemarketer, "Okay, I'll listen to you. But I should probably tell you, I'm not wearing any clothes."
I'd be thinking "That means s/he has to go fetch the card, I hate waiting for them to locate a card upstairs/downstairs/in the car..." while I'd say "It's 4 plays over 9 months. With free, flexible,and easy exhachange. It starts with..."

18. Insist that the caller is really your buddy Leon, playing a joke. "Come on, Leon, cut it out! Seriously, Leon, how's your momma?"
My reply, would probably be to hang up early, as it's thier friend leon who'd be hanging up on them in their minds.

19. Tell them you are hard of hearing and that they need to speak up... louder... louder!
Woooo.... you get me yelling.... heh... funny... I do that all the time for people who really are, and walk out of the call with a sale.

20. Tell them to talk very slowly, because you want to write every word down.
Same as 19. No biggie.

I suppose it depends on what proportion of telemarketers take on the job because of their natural sadistic tendencies, and how many do it just because they really need a job.
Awww... thank you for noticing my talent.

Seriously, some of these are funny to think about, but most of them won't play out the way you want. Infact we have several things WE think about, but never dare do. I know I am taking this post to seriously, but not all telemarketters are souless dialing machine driven coffe addicts who sell a different company a week. I work for the Rep, not Professionally Speaking or Boiler Room Inc.... I care about what happens to the Rep, and not just because that is where my bread is buttered. Some of the people we have there have worked for some of the fly-by-night operations, but the fact of the matter is that our subscribers overwhelmingly said on a recent survey, that their prefered method of contact is over the phone. If you aren't intrested in what we have to sell, tell us, and tell us early.... We may press one more time, but it's only because a lot of people have misconceptions about us, and some people have to say "no" before they say yes. A simple short no in the begining, and we're both much better off.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TORDONOFFON
Geek
Member # 1532

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 22, 2003 13:10      Profile for TORDONOFFON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] HA HA ROTFLMAO ECT>>> BUT SERIOUSLY FOLKS. I myself have not had my landline plugged in since I got a cable modem. But if I was plugged in and I got a call and if I did answer it. [ BIG ifs. ] When I pickup and say WHAT or Hello or whatever if there is nobody talking immediately it is an auto dialer and I hang up pronto. My friends all know to use my cell. Work can't call me either.
Posts: 103 | From: Annapolis Wa. USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrMachineCode
Alpha Geek
Member # 609

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2003 14:43      Profile for MrMachineCode     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once recieved a call from a heavily accented East Indian fellow from the local paper. He sounded so much like the Quik-E-Mart owner from the Simpsons that at first I thought it was a prank, but as time went on I realized that was his real voice.

Me, answering the phone groggy because I sleep 'till noon and this was only 10:00 a.m., "Waddaya waaant?"
I am answered by an annoyingly peppy voice, with a thick foreign accent. Why do they always give people with bad English jobs where it causes the most problem. "Hello! My name is X from the Washington Post. You have won a great prize. You have been selected to receive the weekday edition of our paper, a thirtynineninetyfive value, if you'll just buy the Sunday edition for nineteenninetyfive."
"Gwuh?"
"You have won the chance to receive the weekly edition of the Washington Post, if you'll just buy our Sunday edition for nineteenninetyfive."
"Sorry, I couldn't hear you. Could you speak up?"
He repeats it, word for word, like a recording.
"No, no, I don't think I understood you."
He repeats it.
"No, again, but... slower this time."
Again, like a recording. Damn, I've met voicemail systems that had more variation.
"Ooookay, let me get this straight. You say I've won something..."
"Yes, sir! You have won the chance to get the--"
"Stop, I heard you the first time. But, if I won something, then that means you are going to give me something, right?"
"Yes! You have won the weekday edi--"
"Yeah, but I gotta buy the Sunday edition, right?"
"That is correct! Because you are today's winner--"
"But I'm not."
"What?"
"I'm not a winner. I didn't win anything."
"Sir! You have won the--"
"I heard what you said."
"You have won the--"
"I heard what you said. And I said, I didn't win anything."
"But you have won--"
"If I won, something, then I get something for free, right--?"
"Yes sir! You will get the weekday edition of the Washington Post, a thirtyninenintyfive value--"
"But it's not really free."
"?"
"It's not really free because I have to buy something. Why am I giving *you* money, if I'm the one who won something? You're a liar. I didn't win anything. This is just a scam to get me to buy a paper I don't want."
"Sir, the weekday edition of the paper is a thirtyninenintyfive value!"
"I don't want it."
"But you have been selected to win--"
"I don't want it."
"But--"
"Give it to someone else. I don't want it."
"Sir! There are people waiting in line for this offer! Your name was picked from a list of thousands of names!"
"Great! Give it to the next guy on the list."
"But it is a thirtyninenintyfive value!"
"I don't want it."
"But--
"I don't want it."
"But--"
"Go away." --Click--

Posts: 314 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2003 06:40            Edit/Delete Post 
My earlier post to this topic aside, this guy sounds a bit dense :)
WD-40
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2003 11:16      Profile for WD-40         Edit/Delete Post 
I find the easiest way to lose tele-marketers is to speak Spanish to them.

This did start to backfire once, as the marketer was Latina. We spoke for about 10 minutes, and I convinced to quit the outfit, TCIM, and start delivering pizzas.

One month later, she calls me at home again, this time to thank me. Her husband wasn't too fond of the idea at first, but going to pizza delivery meant they didn't need a babysitter because someone was always home and pizza delivery paid better money than telemarketing, half of it in cash tips.

Almost everyone in tele-marketing is there out of desperation, and are looking for any way out that can find. Very few are hard-core enough to stick with it long term. The constant rejection, crappy hours, days ending with less than 8 hours or just before a bonus level is reached, and dealing with supervisors with only fraud in their hearts and on their minds usually drive people off within a month.

… not that we should pity these people, they should have known the job was dangerous when they took it.

--------------------
Perception is what you make of it.

Posts: 35 | From: Norman OK | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2003 14:10      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...pizza delivery paid better money than telemarketing, half of it in cash tips.
Ha! That is funny. I worked in a pizza joint, and I now work as a telemarketter... Why that may be true of boiler rooms, it's not true of Non-profit arts groups who have their own in-house telemarketers.

Almost everyone in tele-marketing is there out of desperation, and are looking for any way out that can find.
No. Yes, there is a lot of people who walk into the job expecting to get a line of "yes"es and make huge sums of money their first time out. But, there are a lot of people who call in the Arts/non-profit world and stay with it, or come back to it to supliment their income (their fun money -- money they can afford to lose).

Very few are hard-core enough to stick with it long term.
read above.

The constant rejection,
It's not constant. Yes, you need to have thick skin, and you realize that when people are rude, it's not personal... But my closing rate lately has been about 2 in every 15 calls (that is 15 times I talk to the people, not counting Answering machine, no answers and busy's)... That's a couple of sales a night. So, that depends on if the glass is half full or if it is half empty.

crappy hours,
What do mean? I work 5:30 to 9 sunday - thursday, get a half hour paid break. I get Friday and Saturday off, with all complementry tickets to any show we have seats left for... Being at school during the day, makes the hours ideal. I can come in early (at 2) if I am getting close to a new comission rate, or feel like working some extra hours.

days ending with less than 8 hours
Days ending with 6 hours or 3 1/2, not counting break, but if hours where what I was counting on, then I'd not be good at my job.

or just before a bonus level is reached,
Nope, they want us to make our bonuses, typically a month long (or two), set higher than last years goals, we have managed to break them (except one in recent history) by the order of 10's of thousands of dollars (when we go over, an additional 3% of the rooms sales is poured into the bonus, and distribued on the percentage of the current room total we sold during the normal evening hours). I.e. they want us to make bonus, because that means they are seeing nothing but green.

and dealing with supervisors with only fraud in their hearts and on their minds usually drive people off within a month.
I've only had one boss that didn't have his intrest tied to ours (the more we make, the more e makes), and he was hired as a ringer. That is when I moved from the Symphony to the Rep. That means that I have had 7 managers (the symphony had 3 managers at any time, and a few got head hunted to bigger orginizations in Newyork, and Lou (the bad boss) fired all managment under him). None of them were currupt, even if Lou was incompitent.

… not that we should pity these people, they should have known the job was dangerous when they took it.
Dangerous? How is telemarketting inheirntly dangerous? Then, we should say the same thing of Enron employees or any other worker that got screwed? (these questions assume that this sort of thing does happen in boiler rooms, which you supplied no evidence of, except an second hand story about someone who called you)

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2003 15:41            Edit/Delete Post 
I think that by dangerous, he was referring to a job where your "clients" are going to be the generally obnoxious bunch that you all seem to be towards telemarketers. And that as an employee you're required to try and bend people's wills.

I don't know what proportion of callers take on the job because they're sadists/misfits/misanthropes and actually get a kick out of pestering people, what proportion do it just because they need work, and what proportion are like GameMaster and consider themself to be noble telemarketers for some just cause.

It's all a tough call - those stuck in the job are in an awkward position (they need to sell stuff after all), and granted, this isn't going to please those people they call. But on the other hand, the flak they're going to get all day long isn't really going to do much for them - not all of them are deserving of this.

It sounds to me like (in terms of people getting called) civility seems to have been dumped on the roadside somewhere a long way back and abandoned - it's dismaying to see how many people are so happy to try to make others' work hours a misery.

It's a tough call on either side - no-one needs any more stress, frustration and anger than that which life already gives us. Why are we going out of our way to create more of it?

TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 01, 2003 16:44      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather is a little hard of hearing. So he usually doesn't bother answering the phone. One of the few times I've seen him answer the phone it was a telemarketer. This was his side of the conversation:

Hello?

Hello?

HELLO?

Get the hell off the phone you damn commie!

That was pretty effective.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 81 | From: Behind a coffee cup | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MistecMcetsiM
Mini Geek
Member # 2212

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2003 20:32      Profile for MistecMcetsiM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Most call centers have this policy, you see, where the person calling you is not allowed to hang up the phone on you under any circumstances and they'll get in trouble if their stats show hangups at the end of the day....

Haha! That bit of knowledge coupled with the counterscript linked in a reply from evilbibo and the CrawGator's suggestions equals a recipe for fun. [evil]

--------------------
Mistakes are inevitable, but to fear failure is the real mistake. ~Me

Posts: 79 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WD-40
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 06:08      Profile for WD-40         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamemaster:
these questions assume that this sort of thing does happen in boiler rooms, which you supplied no evidence of, except an second hand story about someone who called you

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that I had to post a life's resumé joining your little conversation.

Since you just have to know: TCIM, 1998, twelve days, outbound-only, made bonus once and it apparently came straight out of the site managers paycheck because I was "laid off" two days later despite the constant "Help Wanted" sign in the window. Scheduled eight hours every day that I worked, never worked more than six because they sent everyone home within minutes of hitting the site's daily quota.

Non-profit's have to operate differently. You never know which call could drag in a $1K+ donor. The employees working the call center are or may one day be donors. The "revolving-door" employee policy that keeps the for-profit side alive would kill the non-profits donation stream; they need experienced people, not just some moron off the street.

Where you work (from your representation of it) is definitely the exception and not the rule in tele-marketing as a whole. You'd better do everything within your power to keep that job.

--------------------
Perception is what you make of it.

Posts: 35 | From: Norman OK | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 06:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a telemarketer once. I worked for a charity in the West Vancouver area - lemme tell you - a great number of charity telemarketing outfits are scams. I didn't realise when I started, but I soon found out that they were run by some sort of Chicago mafia. Always beware of a charity telemarketer who says "we have a volunteer in your area right now" - as the guy's probably getting paid $20 an hour to drive round town.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 06:38      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't you actually scoping out potential victims? [Razz]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 07:01      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to begin conversations with telemarketers by saying "Hold on while I start my tape recorder. ... OK. Could you repeat your name again ..."
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 08:32      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an unpublished number, Caller ID and an answering machine. If the Caller ID says, "Out of Area," or doesn't list a name, I let the machine get it.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 10:06      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

Um... The places I worked we were told spesifically "Your not here to take abuse. If they get get real nasty, handle it as politly as possible and then get off the line as quick as you can. If they keep at it, appoligize, and hang-up.

I've been "telemarketting" for 4 or so years now (two different orginizations). Granted that where I work isn't the norm, but the differnece isn't the non-profit status of the orginization, it's the fact that we're not outsourced. This woman just said "no" to me, but I have to call her in 6 months for a donation, I don't want there to be any bad blood... We're here, for this orginization who has a vested intrest in the sucess of this campaign, I won't be calling for another company down the road. And while I certianly need not know your resume, I do not deny things like that happen. We, too, have a high turnover rate... but the room stays pretty much the same campaign to campaign. People underestimate how thik your skin has to be, how up beat you have to be, how much energy goes into each call and we often loose them by the end of the campaign.

QF, WI is a one party state, you don't need to tell me that your recording it, in fact we use some recorded calls for training. I suppose if your saying that to put him off his gaurd, I understand how that might work well... Personally, I like telling tellemarketers:
"Oh, hi Joe From MCI, this is Jeremy at the Milwaukee Rep, I know your on the job so I'll be brief. You like good theater don't you?"
OR
"No, sorry, I'm not home right now, if you'd like to leave a message, call back and I'll let the machine answer."
OR
"I'm in the biz too, mark me a no, and in case you work for one those companies that won't let you hangup till I say no three times... 'no, no, no.' Your welcome for not letting get through your speigl before telling you."

Actually, Spungo, you were driving arround and asking people for money before you started that job, weren't you? And Snupy, is he the victum of his own ... for lack of a better word depravity? [Razz]

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 10:53      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Putting them off their guard is part of it. The sleazier groups just hang up at that point. The rest just know I'm a problem and get off the phone quickly. In the end, I don't give money to or buy things from anyone who calls me at home. I even cross charities off my list (and I give about $2000 a year to various charities) when they call me asking for money.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture