homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Yellow Peril; The All-Seeing Eye (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Yellow Peril; The All-Seeing Eye
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2003 14:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MMKK, that's never been an issue I've witnessed - what pisses me off no end is that people don't know what the difference is, and what each is properly called. Many a time, I've overheard "Okay, now go to (or 'the URL is') h-t-t-p-backslash-backslash-w-w-w-dot-google-dot-com-backslash-I-am-an-idiot."

They don't get that it's the *same* thing you use in dates, and so forth, and therefore it is a 'slash.' I think these people have heard the word "backslash" once in their lives, about a PC, and believe that any technical use of a "/" must be a "backslash." Curse M$ for using that thing as a path delimiter!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9334 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mister Boo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 12, 2003 15:02      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked the term I heard from a trainer a few years ago: "whack" for a slash, and backslash used normally. So then dman's example would be:
h-t-t-p-colon-whack-whack-w-w-w-dot-google-dot-com-whack-I-am-an-idiot [Wink]

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 12, 2003 15:08      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Isn't that one of those cases where we hardly offer anyone anything meaningful? Like, does anyone realise http means "hypertext transfer protocol"? That the http: part specifies the protocol of the URL?

[evil] I like to put in ftp:// and see what I get.
Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2003 16:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
uilleann, in your own quotation, you clearly copy the fact that this was a question posed to me [Smile] . I think she got the general point across merely by putting the question out there - I don't wish to impose on her to tell this tale again - and she already summed up the story.

Thank you dear. I'd rather not retell the whole frickin' thing. And honestly, I thought uilleann was asking for what I gave him. I have more from where that came from, but I think I'll refrain.

However, if anyone wants a lesson in nucleic acid chemistry, I'll be happy to teach you. Especially since you lot are so patient with me and my lack of skills on IRC.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2003 16:38            Edit/Delete Post 
Lack of skills on IRC? Well, from my observations, you get along in #joyoftech just fine - nothing I can see to worry about.

Wrt. biochem, though, it's less a case of need to know, and more a case of anyone's curiosity, really, whereas we as an online community can benefit more from information about computers. It's a sad fact for you I guess that the reality is that computers are all part of our lives - if not, we'd all not be together. But most of us don't have a biochem lab in our bedroom.

TMBWITW,PB:
I wish that if you tried that on Firetrack you'd get FTP. However, it would require that a decent Mac Classic FTP server actually existed. Decent does not including being a bundle of excuses to lock the OS and make the Finder unusably slow :-) Nor the one I have that simply won't let anyone connect, at all, ever... Nor the one that lets in anonymous users regardless of me saying it can't (now that did scare me!! Good thing they didn't or couldn't trash the drive while they were at it)

Mister Boo:
Or, for the Germans, vee vee vee punkt google punkt com. "vee" is so much easier to say than "double-you". mmm...

Then again, why ever say "http://"? Most if not all browsers assume that part for you (except iCab and Win IE (at least) will not guess it if you add a non-HTTP port number to the end - they just look stupid at you).

IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2003 16:57      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a lab in my bedroom - that would be freaky. My lab is ~.5 miles FROM my bedroom, but I have been known to catch a nap in the back from time to time. As I am tempted to do now...

Fscking graduation rehearsal + a reaction involving 42 tubes = very long and late day. At least I got to the cafeteria before it closed. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll be home by 2330.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2003 17:41      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i read this one in a magazine

a librarian called a student in to help her with the computer, it was having computer. he realized it wouldnt even boot, so he asked her if she had deleted anything, adn she replies (along these lines):
"yes, i believe it was something from senora jones, the spanish teacher. it was called DOS"

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2003 19:26            Edit/Delete Post 
californiarockr:
You want the scary part? I had a PC that did that all by itself - yep, deleted every file from C:\DOS\. Booted it up one day (the DOS kernel doesn't live in there btw) and started having issues - odd, so I went to run Edit. Not found? Hmm... let me look in \DOS - wtf???

Xanthine:
Yes, but I am not doing a degree course in it. Try coming over to our faculty's PC labs - I don't think the machines would let you log in... (well, most won't).

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture