homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » FW: Interesting "Facts" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: FW: Interesting "Facts"
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 09:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:

code:
     FORMULA 1                   FORMULA 2
71% Nitroglycerin 62% Ammonium Nitrate
23% Amonium Nitrate 25% Nitroglycerin
4% Collodion 12% Charcoal
2% Charcoal 1% Collodion

Clearly you could carbonize the peanuts to produce charcoal, but I'd use wood for that instead. I'm not sure how one produces ammonium nitrate -- ask Xanthine. [Wink]

Uhh, hmm. Best method I can pull out my butt right now is mix some HNO3 and NH4OH. Use 1 or 2M concentrations in a fume hood, and for God's sake be careful. Neither of these is pleasant. Dry it down to get the salt. You might also be able to isolate it from peanuts. Of course you can also just buy a big old jar from Sigma -Aldrich but what's the fun in that?

Hey raydreams, you a biogeek too? I play with tRNA. Mostly I just run TLC plates in fun solvent systems like 60%isobutyric acid 3%NH4OH or 80%(NH4)2SO4 2%isopropanol, but sometimes I run gels. Never with a urea concentration of >4M though. Ever spilled liquid acrylamide on yourself? It kinda tingles...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Chump
Geek
Member # 593

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 08:53      Profile for The Chump   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
22. In most advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a Hitchcokism?

--------------------
Vedi Vidi Velcro "I came, I saw, I stuck around"
quality in posting since dec 2000

Posts: 184 | From: In my chair, in front of my laptop, at my desk, in my kitchen, in my aprtment, o | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 14:19      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's because it makes the watch look like it's smiling... puts you into a happier mood and, therefore, more likely to buy it.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eprime
Mini Geek
Member # 1981

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2003 07:53      Profile for Eprime         Edit/Delete Post 
hey I never new that peanuts are in dynomite but i do know how to make another explosve with just beans and a really flatulant old man

--------------------
ePRIME

noperks
Newbie Larva
Member # 1713

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2003 23:47      Profile for noperks   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, first off, I checked about 100 watch/clock ads when I first heard that line (age 6) and found that on a single-clock shot 10:10 was the norm. For multi-clock shots, the minute hands were moved around with the expensive ones having hour hands moved. Just to catch your eye.

As for the names of the states, the Lincoln Memorial has all the states encircling the statue, with the later ones added above the ones from pre-Civil War days. My $5 bill does not have room for all fifty, only 17. My eyes are too bad to tell which ones are listed.

Peanuts? Besides being nature's perfect food, I always thought that the person who wrote that likes the sulphur (sulphate?) taste. The glycerin was news to me.

Just another geeky goy's notes.

Posts: 6 | From: So Cal | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture