homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » How do [i]you[/i] use expose?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do [i]you[/i] use expose?
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 18, 2003 13:17      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the reason I ask is that I have it set for the hot corner activation (right, top and bottom- dock on the left), and I keep accidentally flicking it on and being confused momentarily- "where did my windows go?" Have other people with more time on panther grown to avoid this, or is everyone using mouse clicks/f-buttons?
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 13:40            Edit/Delete Post 
I am just using the F-keys for expose and a hot corner for my screen saver. I just tried to assign a mouse button but it does not seem to work with my wacom mouse.
IP: Logged
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 13:41      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a 5 button mouse [Wink] However, I also love cocoa gestures and it requires a button as well, leaving me with one button too few. I remedied this by assigning show application windows to my right command button (I only have ever used the left)... But I really do love what you can do with Expose, it's a staple in my computer browsing and an object of envy for any who watch me "interface".

I got a hint published on some of the neat things you can do with expose. (woo woo)

yup.

Kevin

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 14:06      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a 5 button mouse, but I don't really want to give the buttons to expose. I have the far right as CMD-N for new windows and the far left as enter so I can easily dismiss stuff with the default button.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 18, 2003 14:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have it set up in three corners... i kept triggering it accidently when it was set for upper right corner, so I removed that.

I have it set mainly for "desktop"... clear everything away so i can see the desktop... that's the mode I use most.

I do have the Blob on... but i never use that "Application Windows" mode anyway... i wish the Blob was programable so i could set it to the other modes.

I do have a bug though... often when i leave the computer and come back to it, as soon as I touch my wacom pen (don't use a mouse) it triggers expose. Even if I'm nowhere near a corner ... grrr.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 14:20      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have your wacom pad set to ABS or REL.

im not sure which one it is but one of them will cause your pointer to jump depending on where you pen touches the pad. or even gets close to.

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 14:27      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The blob???

Anyway, I'm now trying a smaller dock that expands (I kept hitting expose when I was aiming for the trash when I had a bottom left hot corner) There doesn't seem to be enough corners for me!

Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 16:57      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only 4 buttons on my mouse, and unfortunately I use three of them for other things. So the thumb button is my expose button. If I want to use the other expose modes I just use the F keys.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 18, 2003 17:22      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
The blob???

macosxhints tells you how to activate it.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
DUCT TAPE
Geek
Member # 887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 17:41      Profile for DUCT TAPE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My scroll wheel button does the show desktop f11 one. I lack the desire to make the other buttons perform the other functions.
Posts: 120 | From: under the frozen land of snow and ice | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hanji
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2379

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 18:08      Profile for Hanji     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the upper-right hand corner of the screen hot-cornered to all windows, which works great for me, even with a dock the on the right side. The only time I hit it by accident is going for Fast User Switching, which I use fairly rarely anyways. F10 and F11 I use rarely enough that I'm fine going to the buttons for them, (although they do have hot corners on the left edge of the screen, I don't even remember which is which)
AHunter3
Newbie Larva
Member # 1418

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2003 12:50      Profile for AHunter3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question from someone still in the world of Jaguar (and mentally and spiritually still in the world of MacOS 8.6, or maybe even System 6.0.8) -- if I don't like this "Expose" thing, can I simply turn the little f^$#@! off in Preferences?
Posts: 9 | From: New York NY USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 19, 2003 12:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yepper, you could turn it off... but i think you will want to keep at least the keyboard shortcuts for it... just to be cool.

I was spiritually still in OS 9 up until Panther... now OS X is fast enough to compete with it.
Nine is Fine, Panther is Pantheon (almost anyway) [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2003 17:32      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
9 is dead, long live 9.

I use my scroll wheel button as F11. Works great, and I use it all the time.

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2003 19:06      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 button mouse plus scroll wheel button....
scroll wheel button is all windows
3rd button is reveal destop
command+3rd button is application windows

--------------------
For large values of one, one equals two, for small values of two.

Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture