homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What's better, iTunes or Napster?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's better, iTunes or Napster?
Raptorgirl
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 07:32            Edit/Delete Post 
The main factors I'm looking at:

1. Selection. I'm looking for slightly obscure '80s alt-rock stuff, like Doctor and the Medics' cover of "Spirit In the Sky," or The English Beat, or James.

2. Ease of handling. Which site is less of a pain to use?

3. Does either site install spyware on your computer?

Help would be appreciated.

IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 08:03            Edit/Delete Post 
Well out of those they only have James, 5 albums at the iTunes store. But they keep making deals with record companies so I would not be surprised if the other songs show up, at least English Beat, not even any General Public yet!

How do you plan on listening to the music your purchase? On the computer? Burn to a CD? On an iPod?

Mac or PC?

As far as I know the windows version of iTunes will only transfer to a iPod when it comes to portable players (but then why would you use anything else?).

As far as the "new napster" no clue how it is and no plans to check it out.

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 08:09      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptorgirl:
I'm looking for slightly obscure '80s alt-rock stuff, like Doctor and the Medics' cover of "Spirit In the Sky,"

I think in order to find it, you'll have to go to the place that's the best. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 09:56      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only version of Spirit in the Sky I found on iTunes was by the Kentucky Headhunters.

Spyware: I would seriously doubt anything of the sort for iTunes. I have no idea about Napster, but I wouldn't trust it.

Ease of use: iTunes is nice and friendly. No complaints here. Again, no idea about Napster.

Other concerns: File format: iTunes uses AAC. Napster uses WMA. Having long since abandoned my PC for anything but the occasional game, I can't say much about WMA. I have heard that it can be a pain, but I have also heard that it doesn't have to be. That would be up to the people at Napster. AAC has decent quality. It can only be used on the iPod and with iTunes just now, but you can also burn them to an audio CD and then using iTunes (or anything else) rip them as MP3, which work everywhere. I have heard that the same is true of tracks from Napster, but I can't confirm this.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptorgirl
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 12:23            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

How do you plan on listening to the music your purchase? On the computer? Burn to a CD? On an iPod?

Mac or PC?

[/QB]

I have a PC. My plans were to burn the music to CD.
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 12:30            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptorgirl:
quote:

Mac or PC?

I have a PC. My plans were to burn the music to CD. [/QB]
iTunes would be a good choice IMHO. I'm sure you can get a copy of Spirit in the Sky on various "hits of the 80's" CDs. Also I believe the English Beat library has been recently remastered on CDs.
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 11, 2003 18:52      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, does this mean that people really care about artists enought to give them and the rest of the entertainment industry money? I sure don't. Yes I know it's illegal, I don't care. The RIAA can sue me if they really want to. Downloading music without paying for it is easier than spending the money I have to work for on music for 1$/per. Now, if only I could P2P download gasoline...... [ohwell]

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 20:13            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by unclefungus:
[QB] Wow, does this mean that people really care about artists enought to give them and the rest of the entertainment industry money? .........

Yep! I gladly support the artist I like! I just bought the latest CD by The Creatures (import even for the bonus CD of instrumental tracks).

Tell me this will you buy the Joy of Tech book to support geekculture? I know I will because I want them to continue creating.

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2003 20:54      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use both...

As far as spyware is concerned, I don't think there's anything to worry about there...

As for ease of use, I definitely prefer iTunes' store interface to that of Napster 2 but it's a tradeoff with the player interface which is not too bad on Napster...

As far as music selection goes, I don't know specifically about the stuff you mentioned but I do know that there was some stuff I couldn't find on iTunes that Napster did have and vise versa.

The fact being that neither one costs anything monthly, I'd say giv'em both a shot...

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2003 18:04      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Download iTunes and see....its completely free to browse through....
Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture