homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » A question for North American Geeks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A question for North American Geeks
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2003 06:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I've been posting to GC, (which timestamps all postings in North American Time) I've become increasingly aware of the fact that it's yesterday there most of the time.

And to make matters worse, the few hours of the day which are actually 'today' - most of you sleep through, it's already yesterday by the time the alarm-clock rings.

And the line about the boss wanting that package delivered 'yesterday' - I always thought that was silly, but now I realise it's possible there.

How odd.

Does living most of your lives in yesterday get confusing?

When someone says they'll see you tomorrow, do you have trouble knowing what day they really mean?

Do you need special grammar to describe yesterday in the present tense?

Does the bread always taste stale?

So, what's it like?

I'll pop by last Friday to see if anyone replied.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2003 06:22      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really will not have understand anything you have just about to say. [Confused]

- but look on the good side - we get to win on all of their horse races. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2003 06:35      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time is relative, but you're not one of our relatives. [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2003 09:49      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was very annoying when an Aussie friend got to watch the Italian Grand Prix 2 weeks before I did. [Wink]

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 18, 2003 14:53      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not so bad, really. It just means that when we hold international conference calls in the afternoon, you have to stay at work until late in the evening.
Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2003 17:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Super Flippy:
It's not so bad, really. It just means that when we hold international conference calls in the afternoon, you have to stay at work until late in the evening.

The usual practice is to have conference calls early today morning, and talk to USians late yesterday afternoon.

This is posted ~10:20 am today, but it'll be time-stamped around 17:20 yesterday. Except on a leap year, or a month with an 'R' in it.....

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2003 19:12      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, concur with TFD on the conference call practice. Mind you, most of our US staff are sales and marketing people, so I try to avoid conferring with them whenever possible (ducks to avoid any lurking sales/marketing people).

We also get to celebrate New Year's first. Gotta be a good thing [Smile]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2003 17:59      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We like the time zone shift. Look, if something really bad is going to happen on September 25th, it will hit you Aussies first [Big Grin]
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2003 14:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
We like the time zone shift. Look, if something really bad is going to happen on September 25th, it will hit you Aussies first [Big Grin]

Ah, but if it was going to happen on the 20th, we're safe, that was yesterday, we've already lived through it.
You however, are still in yesterday, you still have several hours of mortal peril ahead of you.

Good luck.

--------------------

Jonathan Singh
Mini Geek
Member # 2371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2003 15:42      Profile for Jonathan Singh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We aren't in yesterday! You're in tomorrow!

eek, there's the problem of knowledge.

If we're in yesterday, and you're in tomorrow, where is now?

wrap your head around that one

--------------------
"There's 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary and those who don't." - Me

Posts: 50 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted September 20, 2003 20:39      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was about to ask you all if living in tommorrow (BTW you haven't happended yet) was hard. Either way like anything, it's all relative and depends on how you look at it.

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2003 00:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by unclefungus:
quote:
I was about to ask you all if living in tommorrow (BTW you haven't happended yet) was hard.
Don't I remember you mentioning recently that you're in Japan?

They're this side of the 'today' line, which makes them 'tomorrow' to the 'yesterday' crowd.

Which may explain why they get all the cool geek-toys before they make it across the pond to the USA. Living in 'tomorrow' has it's perks. [Cool]

--------------------

unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted September 21, 2003 01:00      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know I'm in Japan. I'm tring to leave and should soon. So I just keep thinking that I'm back in the states.

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2003 01:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by unclefungus:
Yes, I know I'm in Japan. I'm tring to leave and should soon. So I just keep thinking that I'm back in the states.

That must get you in trouble with your C.O.

Turning up a day late for everything.......

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture