homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » TablePC is PDA?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TablePC is PDA?
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 30, 2003 09:55      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been argue with someone that tell me that TablePC is relation to PDA. I tell him, it's belong to laptop.

agree or disagree?

--------------------
[color=blue]My brain is loading, please wait...[/color]

Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 10:02            Edit/Delete Post 
A tablet PC? Hm... if it's got a touch-sensitive display, I'd consider it to be more like half-way between the two - like a laptop-sized PDA :-)

Certainly in terms of OS and software, though, it's related to a laptop, because it would run a regular OS and all your regular software, instead of a palmtop OS and software.

IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 11:34      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Uilleann on this one, if it runs a 'full' OS such as Linux (or wind [shake head] ws ) and is designed to be portable then for me it's a laptop, but as we're fond of saying here your mileage will vary.
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
iCoach
Geek
Member # 2141

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2003 11:50      Profile for iCoach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is a laptop. To me a PDA is intended to be an ultra-portable, instant-on device for quick note taking and scheduling. They have been expanded to do other things as well, but at their heart I think the design lends itself to quick notes instead of four hour marathons of Hearts or Zap!.

The laptop on the other hand is intended to take the power of a desktop on the road. The TabletPC is the same thing, just offering a new HI as well.

--------------------
Never upset a goalie - getting punched with a blocker is not a pleasant experience - facemask or not.

Posts: 164 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
csm

SuperFan!
Member # 1281

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2003 01:37      Profile for csm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"You got your PDA in my laptop!"
"You got your laptop in my PDA!"

Quite frankly, who cares what you call it. if it works for you, that's all that matters. [Smile]

--------------------
Objects in signature are funnier than they appear.

Posts: 34 | From: A well connected outhouse in Michigan | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture