homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » block of wood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: block of wood
cryptOrchid
Geek
Member # 2249

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2003 11:10      Profile for cryptOrchid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If books should not be judged by their covers, what purpose does the cover serve? Tiring, endless hours are gone into the design of book covers, what for if not to attract attention and be bought?

--------------------
I can't answer that without more information.

Posts: 130 | From: space | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2003 12:00      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its to attract aliens to our planet, if we do design the perfect cover, that while not being judged, is rather jolly spiffing, then we will finially get a visit from the great cosmos.

Ofcourse I may be wrong here.

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2003 15:46            Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, do people judge books by covers? Because if they do (irrespective of whether we say they shouldn't), marketing is going to be onto the cause :)

Then again, what's wrong with the cover looking really attractive? A purely functional world would be a bit dull :-)

IP: Logged
TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2003 16:27      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course books are judged by their covers. The trick is to not be continually fooled by the cover. For instance, you select a book 'cause of the cover. Perfectly natural. Human nature. Take the book home and open it. Only to find it's contents are completely contradictory to the impression the book's cover made on you.

At this point you have a decision to make.

Do you continue to utilize the book because of it's siren song cover? Or do you discard the book so someone else can get wrapped up in its deception?

Posts: 81 | From: Behind a coffee cup | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2003 23:50      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's one of those paper removable book covers, it serves to distract you while you read untill you get fed up with it and throw it away, leaving you with a nifty, plain-looking tome.

Also, you can use them to mark your place if the book isn't too thick, but I say screw it, throw 'em away! I do so love the look of a plain, ordinary, book.

Seeming and Dreaming,
Coffee

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fixerbob
Alpha Geek
Member # 1587

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 23, 2003 13:18      Profile for Fixerbob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bit of paper over the cover is called the dust jacket. (afaik). Why, I have no idea, as they don't keep dust from getting to the book.

As coffee noted, some books have plain hard covers underneath, but some books I have have exactly the same design on the hard cover as on the dust jacket too.

We must thank cryptOrchid for raising this facinating subject. Are there any more bibliophiles inhabiting GeekCulture ?

[Razz]

Oh, and you should know that if they told you why books had fancy dust jackets they would have to kill you...

Posts: 301 | From: London, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture