homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Linux on a PowerMac?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Linux on a PowerMac?
iCoach
Geek
Member # 2141

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2003 13:46      Profile for iCoach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have inherited my mother's old Powermac 6100/60. Nothing powerful, picked up an ethernet adapter for it (little pluggy thing) but I can't seem to get it to boot to a linux CD. I have tried Potato, Woody, a lot of different Mac specific CDs, but it comes up with Tux, then POOF! Nothing.

Has anyone had any success installing Linux to one of these boxes? It's nothing powerful but it'd make a decent little webserver/mailserver for me...

Thoughts?
Directions?
Sanity?

-iCoach

--------------------
Never upset a goalie - getting punched with a blocker is not a pleasant experience - facemask or not.

Posts: 164 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2003 13:55      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried this??

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2003 14:56      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your machine is NUBUS based. Not all mac linux ports support NUBUS based machines.
It will probably be easiest to use MKLinux, which supports these NUBUS machines.
http://www.mklinux.org/

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2003 15:09            Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... OK... the first thing to note is that no "Old World" Mac (all Macs before the iMac (the first "New World" Mac)) can boot from a Linux CD - Linux has to be booted from a floppy disc. With Potato, disc images of the install discs are on the CD - write them out with Disk Copy to boot from them. Yellow Dog Linux 2 (IIRC – it's been a while since I did this) has instructions for setting it up to boot from the hard disc via BootX).

Having said that, Googling tells me that the PowerMac 6100 is NuBus, not PCI, so that makes things a bit different. It will certainly run Apple's obsolete MkLinux; as for which other distros support NuBus, check out their websites as linked from penguinppc.org. This page says that Yellow Dog 1.2.1 supports NuBus, although YDL 1 is old.

You can try Googling for PowerMac 6100 Linux (to see what others have tried), or looking to see which distros support NuBus PPC Macs like the 6100.

IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2003 05:03      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by iCoach:
I have inherited my mother's old Powermac 6100/60. Nothing powerful ...

I remember the days when I lusted after a computer as powerful as a 6100/60. [Wink]
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2003 09:02      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give Gentoo a try. It works marvelously on older hardware on the x86 side, and I haven't heard anything bad about the PPC end either.

There are also liveCDs that run Gentoo off of the disc, but I'm not sure if that'll work off your old hardware.

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2003 16:43      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about SuSE? They have a version for PPC.

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture