homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Ask Oz! Q & A (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Ask Oz! Q & A
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2003 22:41      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I meant it's not actually faster, the clocks are just set ahead. Should I delete my post? [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2003 22:46      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crap, while I was editing, I screwed up and basically posted the same thing! [Mad]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2003 22:53      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should delete all your posts [Big Grin] Christ man! Your at friggin 2665 posts....your gonna blow this place up [Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2003 03:23      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
You should delete all your posts [Big Grin] Christ man! Your at friggin 2665 posts....your gonna blow this place up [Wink]

Hmmm....
Yes, GMx is pulling far ahead of Spike and I and Co....

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2003 08:40      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TouchStone:
Uh, ok.

What is the latin phrase that means something like:

All other variables are irrelevant. Or everything else stays the same.

Something like that.

[Confused]

Isn't this Occam's Razor? When all variables are equal, the simplist answer is the truth?
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 04, 2003 08:44      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Bar time is 15 minutes faster than regular time. Bars set their clocks ahead that way so they can clear out the drunks before closing in case anyone from the liquor licensing board is around.

[Eek!] Someone who actually knows what bar time is!! You'd be amazed how many people don't know what bar time is. I went down to a local Irish pub a while back. We were knocking back some Guiness and Irish Whiskey (Of which type, I haven't a clue).

Someone asked, "What time is it." I responded do you want bar time or normal time. They all thought I was nuts. No one had heard of bar time. I then took it upon myself to take a survey of bar patrons and waitresses. I am sorry to say only two or three of the twenty or so I interviewed knew what bar time is. [Frown]

Posts: 81 | From: Behind a coffee cup | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2003 09:02      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:

Isn't this Occam's Razor? When all variables are equal, the simplist answer is the truth?

Hmm, could be. [ohwell] I guess I'm not really sure what I was thinking of. (Not the first time, won't be the last. [Smile] )
Posts: 81 | From: Behind a coffee cup | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 04, 2003 15:53      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this time, the only question seems to be from Captain Vic's signature.

1) Captain Vic: Yes. Yes they do.

I will have to ask that more open-ended questions be asked. Some of these "Let's all quiz Oz on his knowledge of trivia!" are quite frustrating.

But please, further your inquiries!

I'm bored.

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2003 16:22      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given (1)Josh will not be going to UC Berkeley in the fall as he will not be able to complete the necessary classes over the summer (2)the apartment we found and loved so much in Piedmont has already been taken (3)we can really only afford about $600/month in rent,

where should be move (from Sacramento, CA)?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted June 04, 2003 16:35      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, an urgent question requiring answerage!

1) PB: Gads, most unfortunate events in your world...most unfortunate indeed. I wish I knew where to send you...

Large cities in California are notorious rent-wise (especially San Francisco). I would reccommend moving to a smaller community within moderate (not near) driving distance to your place of employment. Perhaps you should seek employment someplace first, then attempt to find residence in that general area?

Being a High Schooler, I don't have much experience in such matters, but I hope my advice helps in some way. [Frown]

-Oz

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2003 16:50      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fear not, Oz, it isn't as gloomy as all that. The only sad part about it is not getting the really pretty aparment I wanted (it was a hotel in the 30's so it was gorgeous). Berkeley was never a permenent stop anyway since the bachelor program isn't accredited for architecture by the NAAB. And as far as jobs, Josh works at Quizno's and I am a student assistant who would soon be losing her job any way for not being a student.

So, any favourite cities?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 4 posted June 04, 2003 19:48      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fine.

don't answer MY questions *sniff*

[Razz]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted June 04, 2003 22:12      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sorry.

tafkact: I don't accept the mission. [Wink] [Razz]

-Oz

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2003 22:43      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tafkact:
duh duh, duh duh duhhh, duh duh -
your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find an email application for linux that will read and write (use) outlook express files.

Well, seeing as Oz passed on this mission [Razz]

Hmm, this is a tricky one. Finding a converter for outlook express files is certainly possible. oe2mbx will convert the files to Unix mbox format quite happily (presuming they haven't changed the file format in the latest OE versions). But it sounds like you want a client that seamlessly saves to that format, so you can move back and forwards between OE and that client on the same files. Is that what you meant? In that case, it's not likely to happen, since the OE mailbox format is reverse engineered, and no open source programmer would want to use it to save to.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2003 23:16      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
I pretty much lost interest halfway through (it's really why I don't post much anymore..), but I'd already written most of the post, so I figured 'what the hell, I'll just finish it off', heh

Oh, gee, thanks, neo [Razz]
Don't take it personal, Sky, you're quite an interesting geekette, I just meant I was tired, and more interested in just going to bed... Unfortunately, even if I went to bed I wouldn't have been able to fall asleep [Frown] [cry baby]

[devil wand]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2003 00:26      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no-one got it. Doct tape- close but no cigar.

quote:
OK, this is part of a skit that I heard on the radio once. As such, I will only accept the answer I heard before.

Two clues, then the question. FIrstly, It was spungos meat-hook question that reminded me. Secondly, it was one of the funniest things I have ever heard. I nearly had a hernia.

I have a new baby, and want to put a bow in its hair. However, as her hair is very fine it keeps slipping out. What is the best way to secure it?

staples
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2003 06:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is your name?
What is your quest?
What is the air-speed of a swallow?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2003 10:55      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
What is your name?
What is your quest?
What is the air-speed of a
n unladen swallow?

Is that an African or European swallow? [Wink]

What is your name?
What is your quest?
What is the capitol of Assyria? (answer to follow)

--------------------
óMiss Piggy

Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2003 14:06      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Oz Fodrotski.

My quest is to LAN it up. [Big Grin]

The airspeed velocity of an unlaiden swallow (African or European) is directly proportional to the weight, strength, and areodynamics of the individual swallow. Thus, unless you give me an actual swallow to examine (and thus call my bluff) I cannot answer your question. Boo-yah! [crazy]

Trick question, PB. As Assyria is no longer an actual country, it has no capital. [Wink]

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 06, 2003 14:19      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just repeating the question, Oz. You can't blame me if the country doesn't exist anymore. By the way, the answer is/was Nineveh.

I suppose I should come up with another question. Hmmmmm. Have you ever wished you were a girl? Really? Why?

--------------------
óMiss Piggy

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2003 16:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, that's a loaded question!

/me waits with baited breath for Oz's response to this one...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted June 06, 2003 17:14            Edit/Delete Post 
Is GeekAvenger a he or a she?

She maintains she's a she, but TooCoolToQuit caught her using 'his' in a /me in IRC. When questioned on this, Peer strangely chose that time to reset her connection (and she didn't come back). Next time this point was addressed, she mysteriously timed off the network... She's never returned.

Will this be an unanswered question of all space time?

IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2003 17:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, I thought GA was most assuredly a he from what's been said on the Forums - though I could be wrong...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 06, 2003 19:15      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's this crazy talk?
GeekAvenger is a he, isn't he?
I know he is!
Isn't he?
[Confused]

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted June 06, 2003 23:25      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, things get more and more frightning on my Q & A!

Okay, first, I once thought it would be nice to be a girl, because it would be WAY easier to find dates as a girl. It's cynical, yes, but it's the only time that that came across my mind.

Second, well I've always considered GeekAvenger to be a guy, he is probably a mutogenic alien capable of assuming any known gender or some alien ones at will. Sorry, GeekAvenger, but such wild speculation could be avoided if you revealed the truth to the forums. [Frown]

-Oz

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture