homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Ask Oz! Q & A (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Ask Oz! Q & A
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted June 02, 2003 12:58      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Well, here's the tricky part - how is the Mac sending data out to NSA and MI6 without the send light on the modem illuminating?

And if this thread is all that will sustain us over the summer, good grief...

It's a secret. [Cool] [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 02, 2003 13:57      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, more questions deserve more answers.

1: uilleann: Your computer, as I noted, is only sending out daily reports. Thus, it must be hiding it's transmissions in the middle of your online activities.

2: Zorro: Yes, you should start another Q&A thread, if exclusively to take some of the load off me.

3: Spungo: I would reccommend a 10 molar solution of Sulfuric acid (H2SO4).

4: The Famous Druid: The meat hook in question is exactly 3.5" long. [Razz] [Wink]

5: Littlefish: I would reccommend a 10 molar solution of Sulfuric acid (H2SO4). [crazy]

That looks like all for now!

*insert catchy exit line here*

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fixerbob
Alpha Geek
Member # 1587

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted June 02, 2003 14:38      Profile for Fixerbob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A potential answer to the modem question -

If you asked Them what stuff they were getting from your computer They would have to kill you...

ps I only have two lights on my modem.(alcatel speedtouch)

USB and Signal - both are on all the time ...signal flashes a lot at times.

Posts: 301 | From: London, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 16:03      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Hey, I was one of the driving forces to Zorro Q and A thread, and it didn't have to do with post counts, it had to do with fun... I find it fun that a lot of the same people who talk about a more serious board also contribute to the nonsence on the boards...

I wasn't thinking of you as one of the people looking to up their post count [Razz] ... and I didn't say I was one of the people who wanted a more serious board - I'm quite happy as is, thanks.

And Oz, a few more questions, if that's alright:

Why didn't you answer my question about graemlins the first time round?

What's *wrong* with patterns on socks?

Are you worried about starting university?

What's the best weather for a slanging match?

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted June 02, 2003 16:15      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Oz, the Wizard of:

Spungo, this is great advice. Not only do you eliminate the blood stains, you completely eliminate the murder weapon itself [Wink]
Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 4 posted June 02, 2003 16:27      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
OK, this is part of a skit that I heard on the radio once. As such, I will only accept the answer I heard before.

Two clues, then the question. FIrstly, It was spungos meat-hook question that reminded me. Secondly, it was one of the funniest things I have ever heard. I nearly had a hernia.

I have a new baby, and want to put a bow in its hair. However, as her hair is very fine it keeps slipping out. What is the best way to secure it?

ducttape

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 11 posted June 02, 2003 16:28      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
duh duh, duh duh duhhh, duh duh -
your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find an email application for linux that will read and write (use) outlook express files. you have exactly one week to complete your mission. failure is not an option! this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...
duh duh, duh duh duhhh, duh duh doo doo doooooooooo dooo doo dooooooooooo duh duh duh DUH!

*BOOOOOMMMMM**

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 10 posted June 02, 2003 16:31      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bregalad:
quote:

Spungo, this is great advice. Not only do you eliminate the blood stains, you completely eliminate the murder weapon itself [Wink]
Willie was a Chemist,
But Willie is no more,
What Willie thought was H20
Was H2SO4...

--------------------

THEM
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1515

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted June 02, 2003 16:33      Profile for THEM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fixerbob:
A potential answer to the modem question -

If you asked Them what stuff they were getting from your computer They would have to kill you...

ps I only have two lights on my modem.(alcatel speedtouch)

USB and Signal - both are on all the time ...signal flashes a lot at times.

no
WE do OUR own work

"they" is just something WE use to draw your attention away from US

TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 02, 2003 16:43      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

2: Touchstone: Sorry, but I don't know Latin.

Allllrighty then, what is bar time?
Posts: 81 | From: Behind a coffee cup | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 18:19      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:
If I was specific enough about the nature of the questions that are to be asked will My new thread be worth My time or am I just fooling Myself thinking that I can have a more serious Q&A thread than before?...........Z

Personally, I think it's a good idea to at least attempt it, because you give good advice and your replies are always worth reading, Zorro. If I were you, I'd try it... bearing in mind that a lot of the stupid questions were asked at a time when certain members of the boards (naming no names, all is forgiven now, of course [Wink] ) were just on a quest to up their post count... and there are other members who think we need more serious threads, anyway... perhaps things would be different, now?
ok, I'll give it a try. I will think up something during the week and hopefully have it up by the weekend...........Z

--------------------
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.~~Winston Smith

Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted June 02, 2003 18:26      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
quote:
bearing in mind that a lot of the stupid questions were asked at a time when certain members of the boards (naming no names, all is forgiven now, of course [Wink] ) were just on a quest to up their post count... and there are other members who think we need more serious threads, anyway... perhaps things would be different, now?

Hey, I was one of the driving forces to Zorro Q and A thread, and it didn't have to do with post counts, it had to do with fun... I find it fun that a lot of the same people who talk about a more serious board also contribute to the nonsence on the boards... What I think makes GC so clever is that it has news, humor, personal/relationship support, tech support, tech bashing banter (Emacs vrs Vi, Mac vrs. Windows)... Paying lip service to a serious board is great, having the serious posts is great but I don't thnik anyone would want to see the board void of all the one-liners...
don't worry GM, I'm sure the new thread will just as fun as the last one. I just need to set more guidelines for what is an appropriate question. I had more than a few questions in the last one that really weren't worthwile to reply to, but that was My fault for leaving it open to any question [Roll Eyes] . I did enjoy answering most of your questions so I'm sure you'll be ready for some to ask in the new one.........Z [Wink]

--------------------
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.~~Winston Smith

Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 23:44      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oops.. double post [ohwell] sry [Razz]
[crazy] [Roll Eyes] [blush]

[devil wand]

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 23:49      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm not oz, but what the heck..

Do you think the pattern of one's socks says something about one's personality?
Yes, I certainly do, and I must say, Twinkie has some pretty quiggy socks [Wink] (MONKEY SOCKS! HEHEAHAHAHA)
Do you believe everything the Magic 8 Ball tells you?
Hell no, for reasons I'd rather not explain, I don't feel like typing that much [Razz]
Which is preferable: JoT or AY2K?
JoT, IMHO, though AY2K is quite funny too [Big Grin] (though I'm also partial to MegaTokyo, and PennyArcade, but I havn't read them in almost 2 years...)
Which is your favourite graemlin and why?
Umm.. It's easier to list the one's I *don't* like best [Razz] , which would be the 'embarrased' one, and the 'angry' one... All the other one's are cool..
Should Q&As be about asking personal questions, or technical/knowledge based questions?

I think that depends on who's running the Q&A, and who's asking the question..

What is your favourite type of shoe?
the kind that goes on your foot... Especially, the one's that keep your feet dry, but still 'breathe' so your feet don't get *too* hot.. But, most importantly, the kind that go on your feet [Big Grin] .

Were you expecting questions like this one?
Yes, I was, though not really from you...

That's enough for now... hehe.
That's good, I pretty much lost interest halfway through (it's really why I don't post much anymore..), but I'd already written most of the post, so I figured 'what the hell, I'll just finish it off', heh..

[devil wand]

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2003 03:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you get when you multiply 6 by 9?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2003 03:04      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bregalad:

Breg - who said anything about murder? [Eek!] If you have something on your mind, don't worry - you can tell us - we won't notify the authorities. [Smile]

Honestly - you open an organic butcher's shop and suddenly everyone and his uncle assumes you're selling human flesh! Sheesh!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2003 11:32      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well shoot, I thought the hook was for foreplay!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2003 11:41      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God damn, Peeb - you're a fount of great ideas! [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 03, 2003 14:20      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, a third round...

1: Skylar:
a) Sorry, missed the question about graemlins...my fave would have to be the crazy one. [crazy] For obvious reasons...

b) I just don't appreciate patterns on socks. I like nice, single-color socks. Patterned anything else is okay, just socks I don't like. I don't get it either.

c)I'm not too worried about University, as 1) I have another year to go in High School and b) I've already decided to go to the University of Alaska Fairbanks. Since I practically grew up at UAF, I'm not scared about filling in or anything of that sort.

d) I have no bloody idea what a slanging match is, but if it involves slanging terms at another, then I'd suggest slightly overcast, with drizzle.

2: Touchstone: I'm not exactly sure what you mean by bar time, but in Faiak, bars are open till about 2AM I do believe.

3: Tyler: This is probably a trick question, but 54?

Until more questions present themselves...

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 03, 2003 16:41      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
I pretty much lost interest halfway through (it's really why I don't post much anymore..), but I'd already written most of the post, so I figured 'what the hell, I'll just finish it off', heh

Oh, gee, thanks, neo [Razz]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2003 19:24      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, a third round...

2: Touchstone: I'm not exactly sure what you mean by bar time, but in Faiak, bars are open till about 2AM I do believe.

-Oz

Bar time is 15 minutes faster than regular time. Bars set their clocks ahead that way so they can clear out the drunks before closing in case anyone from the liquor licensing board is around.
Coffee_geek
Assimilated
Member # 1608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2003 21:29      Profile for Coffee_geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
42!

--------------------
We got, ten minutes to get there
We got, ten minutes to go
Throw this one in for the money
Cause the next one's for the next show

Posts: 464 | From: Varies | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2003 22:24      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Bar time is 15 minutes faster than regular time. Bars set their clocks ahead that way so they can clear out the drunks before closing in case anyone from the liquor licensing board is around.

Are you saying time actually passes quicker if you are in a bar [Eek!] , or the clocks are ahead 15 minutes. If the former is correct that would explain alot about my life in the late 80's early 90's

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2003 22:38      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I meant the clocks were set ahead of actual closing time, not that time is faster. [Wink]
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2003 22:41      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shit G....so I did waste years of my life bellied up to the bar chatting up any floosie who would listen....well, it was fun....at least the parts I remember.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture