homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Ask Oz! Q & A (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Ask Oz! Q & A
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 31, 2003 15:18      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, all of you may be asking; "What is this Oz character thinking, starting another Q & A thread?"

Well, i'm thinking it's summer again, and the mainstay of last summer was the Q & A. Plus, some of the newer members may have not had the pleasant experience of asking a net-bound stranger really personal questions. [Razz]

So seriously, ask me stuff, but please follow these guidelines:

1: Do not ask touristy-Alaska questions. You can find that stuff online. Instead, ask Faiakan-native questions, I'll be able to answer them more accurately.

2: Do not ask me questions pertaining to the opposite sex. (I'm not the one to ask, you can revive Zorro's Q&A for that.)

That's all I can think of for now. Please, ask something!

I need to fill my inbox... [ohwell]

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2003 16:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is this Oz character thinking, starting another Q & A thread?
[Big Grin]

On a more serious note: know of any webcams pointed at Denali? Of course, this pertains to a very special member of the opposite sex, but the general nature of the inquiry might keep me safe from rule #2.

P.S. Woo...5 posts short of 1k...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 31, 2003 17:29      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, ok.

What is the latin phrase that means something like:

All other variables are irrelevant. Or everything else stays the same.

Something like that.

[Confused]

Posts: 81 | From: Behind a coffee cup | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted May 31, 2003 17:39            Edit/Delete Post 
dragonman97:
No, you're 29 posts short...

IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2003 17:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
dragonman97:
No, you're 29 posts short...

Um, no, not really [Wink] . I refer to the non-technical use of k as 'kilo' or '1000' [Smile] .
That would be 1KB or the like. 1k != 2^10.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2003 19:44            Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Oz:

On my cable modem, there are seven lights (no, no Gul Madred quotes, please ;-). Power, USB, Ethernet, upstream, downstream, sync and ready.

Power, Ethernet, sync and ready are always on. The part that puzzles me is - why does the downstream light flash 60% of the time or more, despite the fact that the connection is something like 98% idle? The Ethernet light also blinks at the same time, implying that the modem is involving the Mac in whatever it's doing.

The thing is - what is it doing?

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2003 20:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Listening to all incoming packets, and ignoring all of the ones not destined for your modem and/or computer.

Mmm, 7 lights - my cable modem only has about 5 :-/.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2003 20:33            Edit/Delete Post 
What other incoming packets? Who's sending me a stream of packets 24 hours a day not destined for me? I know you have to monitor all packets on Ethernet, but then, who's routing the entire area's cable traffic through my modem? And if they were, the d/s light would be solid on like it is during transfers.

I just wish the d/s light showed an accurate view of transfers that I could monitor.

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2003 21:50      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
about 5 :-/.

ABOUT 5!?!
Of course, sometimes they aren't all there [Smile]

Oz: It's no competition for MacGenius unless you start finding other people's picts online and calling them your own to try to impress others [Smile]

Here's a shot:
WHY THE HECK DOESNT THE IBOOK RECOGNIZE THAT IT HAS A FSCKING DVD DRIVE IN IT, OR ANY OPTICAL DRIVE AT ALL!?!?!?!

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2003 23:12      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oz's Q & A seems very, well, light on answers from Oz don't ya think?
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2003 02:12      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TouchStone:
Uh, ok.

What is the latin phrase that means something like:

All other variables are irrelevant. Or everything else stays the same.

Something like that.

[Confused]

Well, I was going to answer your request, but I can't seem to find my latin dictionary. What context is this from, anyway?

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 01, 2003 10:24      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spiffy, Oz, another Q&A... I have something of a soft spot for Q&A's... can't think why [Big Grin]

So, here are some questions for you...

Do you think the pattern of one's socks says something about one's personality?

Do you believe everything the Magic 8 Ball tells you?

Which is preferable: JoT or AY2K?

Which is your favourite graemlin and why?

Should Q&As be about asking personal questions, or technical/knowledge based questions?

What is your favourite type of shoe?

Were you expecting questions like this one?

That's enough for now... hehe.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted June 01, 2003 12:41            Edit/Delete Post 
How about, "where are you?"
Although the only possible answer to that is "right here" [Razz]
We're entitled to wonder... hmm, weren't you going out with someone or something? Maybe it's... tying up your hours?

TouchStone
Mini Geek
Member # 1453

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 01, 2003 17:49      Profile for TouchStone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I was going to answer your request, but I can't seem to find my latin dictionary. What context is this from, anyway?
I think it is mostly used to describe an experiment. Something like the only variable is blah, [everything else remains the same].

Something like that. [ohwell] It may not even be latin. [ohwell]

Posts: 81 | From: Behind a coffee cup | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 01, 2003 18:05      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you log out for 24 hours and look what happens...
okay..

1: Dragonman: I don't know of any webcams pointed at Denali, mainly because to see Denali, it's just an hour's drive to the south to enjoy it in person.

2: Touchstone: Sorry, but I don't know Latin.

3: DualG4: Because that particular iBook hates you. Return it and get a friendlier, more socialable one.

4: uilleann, your computer is secretly sending daily transmissions to the NSA and MI6 regarding your actions on the internet. Lucky for you, your computer is doing this on it's own, and the NSA and MI6 don't care. They are sending it constant transmissions telling it to shut up, explaining the always-on downstream light.

5: Skylar:

a: patterns on peoples socks mean they like patterns on their socks and they creep me out.

b:Magic 8 balls are rarely right, I prefer to use the advice given by the random number generator on my calculator. (37? Sounds good!)

c: AY2K

d: I prefer personal, my brain's off for the summer.

e: Whatever's most comfortable / cheapest. That's generally Oakleys found on sale at the nearby sports supply store.

f: Of course I did, the Force sees all...

6: uilleann again: Not online all the time. (school's out) Expect replies once per day. And I haven't gone out with the given individual yet...but I will...

That looks like all for now! I await further questions.

*insert catchy exit line here*

-Oz

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2003 18:15            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's the tricky part - how is the Mac sending data out to NSA and MI6 without the send light on the modem illuminating?

And if this thread is all that will sustain us over the summer, good grief...

ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 5 posted June 01, 2003 18:31      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of starting a Q&A type thread in a new section with a different format. I am worried though that it would be overloaded with several pages of mundane questions like the last one I started. If I was specific enough about the nature of the questions that are to be asked will My new thread be worth My time or am I just fooling Myself thinking that I can have a more serious Q&A thread than before?...........Z

--------------------
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.~~Winston Smith

Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 02, 2003 02:59      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:
If I was specific enough about the nature of the questions that are to be asked will My new thread be worth My time or am I just fooling Myself thinking that I can have a more serious Q&A thread than before?...........Z

Personally, I think it's a good idea to at least attempt it, because you give good advice and your replies are always worth reading, Zorro. If I were you, I'd try it... bearing in mind that a lot of the stupid questions were asked at a time when certain members of the boards (naming no names, all is forgiven now, of course [Wink] ) were just on a quest to up their post count... and there are other members who think we need more serious threads, anyway... perhaps things would be different, now?

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 04:44      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the best way to remove all traces of blood from a rusty meat-hook?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 02, 2003 05:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long is it? [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 05:15      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
How long is it? [evil]

That's a bit personal, isn't it? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 09:06      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
How long is it? [evil]

That's a bit personal, isn't it? [Wink]
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 09:40      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
bearing in mind that a lot of the stupid questions were asked at a time when certain members of the boards (naming no names, all is forgiven now, of course [Wink] ) were just on a quest to up their post count... and there are other members who think we need more serious threads, anyway... perhaps things would be different, now?

Hey, I was one of the driving forces to Zorro Q and A thread, and it didn't have to do with post counts, it had to do with fun... I find it fun that a lot of the same people who talk about a more serious board also contribute to the nonsence on the boards... What I think makes GC so clever is that it has news, humor, personal/relationship support, tech support, tech bashing banter (Emacs vrs Vi, Mac vrs. Windows)... Paying lip service to a serious board is great, having the serious posts is great but I don't thnik anyone would want to see the board void of all the one-liners...
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 11:35      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this is part of a skit that I heard on the radio once. As such, I will only accept the answer I heard before.

Two clues, then the question. FIrstly, It was spungos meat-hook question that reminded me. Secondly, it was one of the funniest things I have ever heard. I nearly had a hernia.

I have a new baby, and want to put a bow in its hair. However, as her hair is very fine it keeps slipping out. What is the best way to secure it?

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Mayers
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2003 11:50            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Well, here's the tricky part - how is the Mac sending data out to NSA and MI6 without the send light on the modem illuminating?

And if this thread is all that will sustain us over the summer, good grief...

because it's secret... duh!

[Big Grin]

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture