homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Your opinion(s) on G3 obsolescence

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your opinion(s) on G3 obsolescence
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 26, 2003 21:47      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to buy an iBook to use as an inexpensive second personal computer. I won't be doing anything wildly CPU intensive with it. I mainly want it for writing and as a portable "digital hub", so a 256 MB, 700-800 MHz G3 is just fine.

My question is: by getting a G3 vs. a G4 laptop, what capabilities or OS features might I be cutting myself off from in the near future? And how "near" might that be?

Thanks,
~ Tech Angel

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 26, 2003 23:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you will be more than fine with it, for a long time, especially for non wild CPU intensive stuff. It will be great for iTunes and writing and iPhoto and surfing...

heck, it'll probably be faster than my 500 MHz G3 Pismo I use for everything. [cry baby]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 02:03      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Snaggy, the iBook will do fine for the tasks you've outlined. The G4 becomes valuable only when you've got an application that uses the Altivec command set. Essentially you're looking at ripping audio, applying Photoshop filters and doing 3D work, and even some of those don't go much faster on the G4 than a G3. The current generation of G3 is just as fast for most tasks as a G4 at the same clock speed and for many operations the larger cache on the G3 makes it the better choice.
Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 09:40      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me rephrase the question, then: what operating system features might be introduced that require a G4, and what might those features or capabilities be? What kind of software do you foresee being introduced down the road which says "Requires a G4 or better" on the box? If the Altivec command set is the only significant difference between the two, then (speed notwithstanding) I gather that any such new capabilities or features would be those involving graphic or audio processing -- is that right?
Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 09:52            Edit/Delete Post 

IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 12:29      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, one more thought...is there any rationally foreseeable reason to wait until after the WWDC to order myself an iBook? They just got speed bumps so I certainly wouldn't expect improvements at that time. But there's always that chance of a Macworld-like "one more thing" which would make me regret a purchase now. I don't see anything beyond unreliable rumors at this point -- your opinions?

~ TA

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Bregalad
Assimilated
Member # 1054

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 14:24      Profile for Bregalad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're looking at an iBook I'd say don't wait. If you think you'll be springing for a PowerBook, then waiting might be prudent. The 15" version is due for a makeover and switch to the new aluminum case material. If there's a new PowerBook the existing ones might get speed bumps too.

Unfortunately Steve likes to keep his customers in the dark and that means you never know for sure whether something new and improved is just around the corner. It's one of the reasons why most businesses would never consider buying from Apple.

Apart from some minor design differences the original G4 was simply a G3 with a vector processing unit tacked on. Since then most of the changes to the G4 have been made simply to crank up the clock speed. Essentially the G4 is still just a G3 with a vector processing unit.

If you plan to start making your own movies, doing 3D rendering or applying Photoshop filters then wait to see what Steve pulls out of his hat at WWDC. If you can wait an extra minute for that CD track to be converted to MP3 or AAC and if web surfing, email, chat and office work is mostly what you'll be doing, then save yourself a lot of money and get the iBook.

If you're buying an iBook make sure to get one of the new ones with Radeon 7500 video or the recently discontinued ones with 32MB of VRAM. Those are the only iBooks that properly handle Quartz Extreme.

Posts: 484 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
codeonezero
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1299

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2003 17:22      Profile for codeonezero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To put in in perspective...

I have a 450Mhz G3 iMac

I use it for: E-mail, iChat, iPhoto, iTunes, Project Builder/Interface Builder (development tools), X11, Warcraft III (ok so it's slow unless i play in the lowest settings, or if the map is too big, but hey i beat WC III [Smile] , other gaming (Spider-man, Bugdom, Otto-matic, etc), Photoshop Elements.

and it works great.

Now an 800Mhz G3 could do all those things better [Smile]

I dont think Apple will put too much into the G4s Velocity Engine being necessary for future OS updates. At least not in the foreseable future (1-2 years)

However if you think you'll be doing stuff with iMovie and maybe Final Cut Express, maybe you should get a G4 especially if you can afford it [Smile]
-Esteban

--------------------
Codito Ergo Sum
http://homepage.mac.com/estebanuribe

Posts: 36 | From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Germanguy
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1559

Icon 3 posted May 27, 2003 17:52      Profile for Germanguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say when you can do without the CD burner the IBook is great for the price but when you want to burn CD?s and watch DVD?s have a bit more memory you getting pretty close to the 12? powerbook.
The powerbook has a awesome fit and finish the keyboard is much better then on an IBook and the aluhousing is by fare isn?t as susceptible to scratches.
I went the powerbook way from a 500 IBook and love it [Smile]

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GVCarroll
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1346

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 27, 2003 20:11      Profile for GVCarroll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've had a 500mHz iBook w/384MB RAM for a little while now and I like it just fine. I use it for iPhoto, iTunes, surfing, email, Office, Photoshop. It can be on the slow side sometimes, but not bad for light work which is mostly what I do. Jaguar isn't as zippy as booting into OS9 but it's not lagging either.
Posts: 30 | From: Maine | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2003 08:23      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VERY interesting.

Today I was looking at buying an ibook: top of the line 900mhz/640mb RAM, 40gb ATA hdd, combo etc.
But I will hold out if it is going to get faster.

What are the bets on the ibook being upgraded from 900mhz then? Is this the top speed?

I've read rumours of apple putting G4s in ibook next (if heat isn't an issue), or AT LEAST going up to 1.2ghz. This was an uninformed rumour though.

Can anyone make an informed recommendation? Comments? Could someone please post the official apple news page for keynote announcements?

Ta,

Alan

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
GeekAvenger
Assimilated
Member # 1895

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 18, 2003 22:56      Profile for GeekAvenger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm mabey you could carry you big scree ibook around, and have the big hard disk and other perpherals in a duffle bag under your seat?

--------------------
Geekier Than Thou. I think academically so therefore I'm a geek?

Ah the wonders of the crowd.

Posts: 485 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture