homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » So what do you think of Apple's iTools music store, really? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: So what do you think of Apple's iTools music store, really?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted April 28, 2003 16:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those who have seen it, do you think you'll use it? Or will you still buy "real" CDs?

Or use Limewire (or other means) and get your music for free?

I can't use it, as it doesn't work for those outside of Canada yet. [ohwell]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2003 16:08            Edit/Delete Post 
I've been checking it out this afternoon, very slick, but (you knew there had to be a but) personally I still want a physical CD for my money. I generally listen to an entire album from start to finish as the majority of what I listen to is quality music and not a "single" that is in the charts for a couple months with heavy rotation to the point you are sick of it and never want to hear it again. This is why I bought an iPod, I HATE COMMERCIAL RADIO!

I will most likely use this service to listen to song samples and if I like what I hear I will order the CD from Amazon (this is the same thing I did in the napster days).

Something I haven't seen an answer for yet, if I loose my hard drive before I back the files up will I be able to download the songs again at no charge? With Audible.com I can go back and download any books I've purchased in the past.

IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2003 16:23      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you *are* allowed to burn as many CDs as you like. And put the stuff on your pod. But I think you can re-get your stuff. There is a "Check for Purchased Music" (or something like that) menu item in the Advanced menu, which I assume checks your account for music and downloads it.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2003 17:30            Edit/Delete Post 

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2003 17:46      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought 2 songs, easy, no problem, worked like a dream
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2003 18:51      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought three. Since I already have an account at the Apple Store it was easy. The only thing is, the selection is pretty sparse and some albums you can't buy the complete thing.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2003 21:47            Edit/Delete Post 

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2003 22:09      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would have been quite interested ... but ...

1. No support for non US people
2. No support for non Mac users (yet)

If it spreads to .AU and Windows(or Linux, preferably), I might think about it

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2003 23:04      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit cheesed off with it being US only.

Over here in Europe we get ripped of for CD and DVD so it's no surprise that Apple doesn't want to or isn't being allowed to. Generally a chart CD bought in the UK costs about 12 GBP, or $20 with a CD single (usually 3 tracks only one of which you want) is around $6.

I did *try* to obtain some mp3 from other sources but just got bored of endless sites that promised you everything and delivered nowt but a forest of pop-ups and another redirection.

As far a physical CD's go I used to be in the 'I want the CD in my hand' brigade but these days all that happens is I get a new CD, rip it to i-tunes, sync it to the ipod and listen. So Apple would be saving me time and money, if only I were allowed to play.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2003 23:18            Edit/Delete Post 
I still want a physical CD, why you ask?

1) Commercial CD's will hold up for many more years than a CDR, my CD's I bought in 1984 still play like the day I bought them unlike some CD's I burnt a few years ago and can't get them to work and had to toss them.

2) If you do back up the downloads you still have a CD, but due to the nature of CDR's you're going to have to put it on a new CD, DVD etc in 5 years or so to avoid losing the data.

3)If you don't archive to CD and either lose your hard drive or Apple cancels this service say bye bye to your music collection.

Just some of my feelings.

I was tempted to buy a couple of albums tonight until I noticed they were incomplete.

On a somewhat related note:
I'm shooting all of my photos with a digital camera and not having a negative scares me a bit, I have some old B&W negatives from my grand parents that I can still print from, who knows if I'll be able to get prints from the CD's of my photos in the future, I may get some of my favorite digital images put onto transparency or negative film for archival purposes when I can afford it.

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 03:33      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by raydreams:
Finally got in.

It didn't like my old, non-email based ID account which is what I always use to buy stuff from the Apple Store.

So then when I entered my email address, it said that account already existed? OK, so reset the PW.

Yep, that one got me in.

Weird but OK?

If it was your .Mac email, then that's becasue they made all of the .Mac accounts also into apple store acccounts a few days ago
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 06:32            Edit/Delete Post 

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 06:50      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think $1 a pop is somewhat excessive - considering there is no media/shipping/retail-outlet overhead. This is important for the future of recorded music - if the world switches to the media-less format, once the recording costs of the artists are paid for, everything else is gravy. I think at 10 cents a track there is still immense scope for profit.
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 07:19            Edit/Delete Post 

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 07:30      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by raydreams:
Considerably less than the $3-4 some services were trying to charge at first. and a 10 track CD is $10 compared to $15-$20 for a physical one now.

Yeah, but the vast majority of the cost of selling store-bought CDs is in the distribution/physical production. Exactly what costs are left for the labels with pure download-retail? At $1 per track they are definitely rubbing their hands, gazing longingly at the prospect of greatly enhancing their already-huge earnings.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

xaxnar
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2009

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 08:42      Profile for xaxnar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to an unforseen grand convergence, this whole deal happens at a time when I also have enough money to do something about it. I'm definitely going to get a new iPod plus an FM transmitter so I can play it back through our car radios - this way I don't need a CD player in the car. As for the iTunes music store, I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. It was obvious to me that this was the way to go.
I like the idea of buying a track at a time - the music industry has a long history of putting out albums with only one or two decent tracks surrounded by filler. At the same time, there are any number of tunes I like that don't make the 'best of' cut.
My big concern is how well/fast this will work over a dial-up connection. The phone lines in our area and my ISP access number aren't that great to begin with.
I'll be curious to see how pricing structures change over time as the market develops. Price breaks for so many downloads? Volume discounts? Who knows? I'm also wondering if Apple is looking down the road at adding a section for independents - artists not signed with any of the big labels, but who have music they'd like to sell through the store. That could be really interesting, and has long-term implications for the music business.
Another idea would be a 'requests' section, a place to keep track of music people want, but can't find. If they could track demand, that could drive making that music available.
I can also see on-line communities springing up around the store, if Apple or someone adds the equivalent of listening rooms/concert halls where people can exchange messages about the music they like, or communicate with artists from time to time.
If this works as well as Apple hopes, it could turn out to be a lot larger than anyone expects.

Posts: 49 | From: North America, early 21st century | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 08:47      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<ramble>I read (sorry I don't remember where -- MacFixIt maybe?) that Apple gets about 30 of your buck. I bought a couple of songs yesterday just for the thrill of the experience [Smile] I was a bit shocked to see that you are never told the amount of sales tax you have to pay. (You get an email later -- after the purchase -- that tells you.) That seems very amateurish for a web store. I suppose I'll use the service from time to time, but not often. For one thing, my musical taste runs to the obscure, and it is very rare for me to like music that is popular in the world at large. So I doubt I will find much there. But for the occasional "hit" that I do like, Apple's store might be a nice source, saving me from having to buy a whole CD. For another thing, the price is a bit high. You can often buy a used CD from SecondSpin.com or through Amazon.com for around 10 clams, and you get full CD (AIFF) quality. Anyway, I wish Apple success. I am sorry for the non-US folks, but I believe that must be the record companies' fault -- after all, why would Apple not want to take your money?</ramble>
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 08:56            Edit/Delete Post 
Ok it sounds like you better back up any music you purchase

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93033

............Be sure to make regular backups of your music files (in your iTunes Music folder) by copying them to an external hard disk or other media. If your hard disk becomes damaged or you lose any of the music you've purchased, you'll have to reimport all your songs and buy any purchased music again to rebuild your library. ........

raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 09:25            Edit/Delete Post 

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 10:07      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
I think $1 a pop is somewhat excessive - considering there is no media/shipping/retail-outlet overhead. This is important for the future of recorded music - if the world switches to the media-less format, once the recording costs of the artists are paid for, everything else is gravy. I think at 10 cents a track there is still immense scope for profit.

[shake head] Hippy! [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 12:47      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hippy-hater! [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 13:00      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hippy-hater-hater

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2003 15:13      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it's available in the UK, I'll be spending a lot of money on it. I stopped buying CDs years ago when it became obvious that the record companies were pretty obviously price gouging. I still buy the odd CD from Indie bands at their gigs though, but I don't like to buy stuff without hearing it first and I don't like the idea of having to buy an album for the couple of tracks that I actually want.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
TORDONOFFON
Geek
Member # 1532

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 30, 2003 04:51      Profile for TORDONOFFON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Beard of Peter Gabriel!] A buck a song is quite reasonable you cheap sob's. How much were you paying per song when you bought a CD ? Understand that for this to work we must make greedy record company executives happy. Do you expect subsidized gas from the oil companies? I am VERY happy I don't have to own any CD's anymore. I want no more STUFF in my life. I think whomever designed the CD jewell box should be stood up against the wall. OK Rant over I am feeling better now.
That said I LOVE iTunes IV and the Apple music store. I got on with not too much trouble and quickly filled all my Who, Gogos, Dylan, Cream and Wagner needs for 18 bucks. I didn't need it all mind you just a few good songs. And that's the beauty you can cherry pick the songs you like instead of getting stuck with a stinky album for 3 good songs.
I really hope this takes off because one thing I do not like is the limited availability. I WANT it ALL like the Library of Congress for music on line.
Also for a iPod FM transmitter check out Griffin iTrip
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/ I just ordered one think it's the coolest thing I ever saw. TORD [ohwell]
I have no use for a ship that does not sail fast for I intend to go in harms way.

--------------------
He had SUCH potential !

Posts: 103 | From: Annapolis Wa. USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2003 11:42      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is one of the best designed things I've seen in a long time. It just sort of pops into iTunes and does the right thing. Music was easy to find, easy to buy and it loaded into iTunes perfectly. This could be very bad for an impluse shopper like me.

Download vs. CD is a personal choice. I often buy CD's of bands I don't really know because of one song and end up finding that I like more of their stuff. That may lead to other CD purchases. With music store, I may only buy the one song never get to experience more. OTOH, I might find I only like 3 or 4 things, buy those for $4 and not spend more on the full CD that I'll never listen to.

As for the pricing, $1 seems to be almost the price you pay per cut on a real CD. That is sort of high. At 25 or 50 cents an item I might buy a lot more items, which leads me to explore new things, which leads me to buy more. You know, drug pusher style. At $1 a pop, the math of buying songs is too obvious.

I would love to see the record companies make out of print stuff available this way. There are plenty of things I would gladly pay for IFF they were available.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture