homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Any runners???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any runners???
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 12, 2002 18:01      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need some advice on running shoes-specifically, are they supposed to be comfortable on your first workout with them? They felt great in the store, but after about a mile walk, not so great. I don't know if I have to get used to them or not.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Taho_dude
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2002 20:33      Profile for Taho_dude   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pesonally I would not use shoes that dont fit well. I run and it makes a big difference there but walking could still hurt. Different brands fit different shaped feet so dont get stuck on one brand. For even better shoe advice ask Eldon.
does that help?

Posts: 39 | From: a meatstick vender's cart | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
madhermit
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1801

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2002 21:18      Profile for madhermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Methinks you are in the wrong place to find runners. Unless you are looking for a bloke that runs from the fridge to the recliner just before the latest episode of Lexx starts.

--------------------
*I refuse to appear witty or clever by referring to some quote*

Posts: 15 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2002 21:24      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by madhermit:
Methinks you are in the wrong place to find runners. Unless you are looking for a bloke that runs from the fridge to the recliner just before the latest episode of Lexx starts.

And I thought the baby lexx was very cute, thank you.

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
technosquirrel 101
Geek
Member # 1738

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2002 10:16      Profile for technosquirrel 101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, like all shoes running shoes take some time to fit the shape of your feet. in store you can mostly check the sole's relief (sloping to the front, size of the small 'hill'(?!?) at the inner side in the middle of the shoe, shape of the shoe's back, etc.) these parts of the shoe of course change by time and fit better around your feet. sometimes this 'better' means that the shoe gets a little uncomfartable 'cause your feet 'move away' from the ideal position in the shoe. but you'll get used to them...

no shoe feels like it had in the store after you've worn it a few times. (and partly that's 'cause the new feeling's irritating to a human's nerves who tend to hardly leave known feelings behind)

so both your feet and the shoes change and the 'final' feeling can only be experienced after some weeks of walking with those shoes.

i'd say wait some time and if the uncomfortable feeling remains try to locate its origin and change the shoes...

(with me it's been the other way around some months ago: the boots the army gave me, first felt like hell to wear but after three weeks they were fine)
usually at running shoes you'll get the 'yes-' or 'no-feeling' after around two days till one week. (that's from my experience)
and the feeling is 'digital': either a clear 'yes' or a clear 'no'.

was that any helpful?

Posts: 142 | From: the "XMS Memory", cabin 934, C-Deck | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 13, 2002 10:54      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run.

First let me point you to:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679780106/qid=1037213541/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-9949015-6718327?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

The New York Road Runner's Club Complete Book of Running and Fitness, by Fred Lebow, Gloria Averbuch, and Friends

It's okay if the shoes feel a little stiff when you walk in them for a mile. Running shoes are designed to give support and stability when you are pounding on them, so they are not as comfortable for walking as a pair of walking shoes. I have New Balance 990's and when I walk 2-3 miles on them, they feel stiffer than my walking shoes. This is normal.

Apart from the stiffness, running shoes should *fit* nearly perfectly when you buy them if they are made from synthetic material, because synthetics don't stretch like leather. Synthetic material is better because it doesn't absorb moisture (rain and sweat) like leather does.

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2002 20:25      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everyone. I think I found the right pair-New Balance 655 walking. Not as much support as the running shoes, but more comfy.

**sigh** Now I have no excuses left not to exercise..except maybe..I don't have enough towels and I'd have to keep washing them...yeah, that's it. [Wink]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture