homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Backup suggestions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Backup suggestions?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 09, 2002 20:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for some back-up suggestions... DVD or tape backup I think. Regular CDs are just too small now-a-days. I have a second drive for back-ups, but I'm looking for something a little more permanent and something I can store off-site.

Ok, thanks in advance. [Smile]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lex
Uber Geek
Member # 835

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2002 21:50      Profile for Lex   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
backups to big for CDs? gasp!

Well, if you're like me and have a SuperDrive itching to be used, you'd go dig up some DVD-RW media.

But I'm guessing you don't?

Whichever is cheaper then.

Or maybe firewire hard drives?

--------------------
Your conviction that there is a monster under the bed would be a mere eccentricity if you weren't so heavily armed and it was your own bed.

Posts: 977 | From: University of Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 5 posted November 10, 2002 19:04      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fortunatley, this is one of my areas of "expertise"

what do you want backed up? what's wrong with a 800mb cdr (or 2)? for that matter, as mentioned, a 4+gb dvd?

i don't suggest tape as a backup medium these days, and sure as heck not another hdd
tape can and DO break and magnetism just isn't *that* permanent

if you're really interested in a backup solution, see me in IRC we'll talk more

[Smile]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2002 12:49      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a spare laptop and just slam a giant backup.tar.gz file over the Ethernet. But that does not meet the "off site" requirement.
Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dajt
Mini Geek
Member # 627

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2002 14:11      Profile for dajt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say go with a DDS-4 tape drive, 'cuz the tapes are physically small (ie easy to mail offsite), cheap, and hold ~20G (more if you believe the compression claims) each. The drives aren't cheap, but they aren't *too* expensive.

You could also go DLT, but the tapes are bigger and more expensive. Their main advantage is higher througput, which is importan if your're backing up terabytes. But I don't think you are, are you?

Posts: 98 | From: Boston MA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2002 08:33      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD would be my first choice.

Second choice would be disk.
Get 2 IDE drives big enough to hold your ENTIRE backup. Mount them in removeable slides. Backup to one each night, once a week you pull the drive and bring it offsite, retrieving the other for the next week's backup.

Tape is a fine option if you are buying a drive that costs at least $1000. The cheap, consumer drives are not worth their weight in excrement.

Currently I back up everything (at home) to CD. Of course, it's not an easy solution. I had to write my own backup tool to pick just the files I want, write a compressed image to disk and then zap them over the network to the windows box to burn the CD.

At work we use Amanda for network backups of all machines to a DLT with a changer.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 13, 2002 09:46      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD writers seem to be getting cheaper lately - over here you can now get an external Firewire one with Mac software for under 300 pounds, before tax. (You can get an internal IDE one for under 200, but then you've got installation hassles to contend with and it won't come with Mac software.)

If 4.7 GB per disc isn't enough, I think you're looking at DAT tapes (DDS-4, etc) - I'm not aware of any cheaper types of tape drive currently available for the Mac. If you have a SCSI Mac, you might be able to find older SCSI DAT drives going cheap on eBay etc? I don't know how far I'd trust a secondhand tape drive though...

External Firewire hard disks are also cheap (no messing around with "removable slides" [Wink] ) but "permanent" suggests you want to keep archive backups as well as rotating ones.

Whatever you get, check the software angle carefully. As you probably know, pre-OS X backup tools won't back up all your OS X system files correctly. Retrospect always used to be highly rated, but I'm not really up to date with the post-OS X world. Retrospect comes in different versions depending on whether you need to support tape drives or to backup other machines across the network, etc. I think Toast 5 handles DVD writers.

Let us know what you decide on and why!

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture