homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What are you reading? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What are you reading?
invisikitty
Mini Geek
Member # 1764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 15:52      Profile for invisikitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so the general premise of the thread has been done before, but I am taking a trip to the bookstore in a few days, and need some ideas.
I am reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas now (just a light read for lunch breaks)
Just got done reading Mists of Avalon.

--------------------
"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively,
there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we
are the imagination of ourselves.....Here's Tom with the weather. "

Bill Hicks

Posts: 98 | From: ...under the couch.... | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 18:37      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Way Of The Pilgrim -Gordon R. Dickson
I also highly recommend any of his Dragon series books.

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2002 18:54      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just finished reading

Choke
Survivor
Lullaby
and Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk all were really good.. currently im reading Crash by J G Ballard and Napalm and Silly Putty by George Carlin..

try the New Jedi Order Series too..

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 04, 2002 21:10      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working my way through the Dune saga. Started with Dune: House Atreides, and I'm up to Children of Dune.

Oh, and Eldon's trying to make me read the New Jedi Order books, too.

-Oz

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 03:01      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by invisikitty:
...I am reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ...

Good choice! Not sure which I prefer... the book or the film...

'I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate...'

Presently I'm reading JG Ballard's Super-Cannes... very enjoyable, but strangely similar to his Cocaine Nights. Not the I'm complaining, you know. [Smile]

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 03:35      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
catch 22
catcher in the rye
miss smilia's feeling for snow
snow falling on cedars
wild sheep chase
wandering by herman hesse
anything by laurie lee
brave new world
kula karma
a suitable boy
birdsong
rebecca

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 03:42      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
... wild sheep chase...

Hey, we're talking about books, not hobbies. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 04:34      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mists of Avalon? I prefer my Authurian legend without the feminism and homoeroticism, thank you very much...

I'm picking up Beowulf once again. A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich by Solhzenitzen (sp?) is a good short story if you want to know what life in a gulag was like. Reminds me of basic training all over again!

Posts: 419 | From: at home or work | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 04:37      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and come to think of it, if you want to read of things Authurian you should pick up a translation of L'Morte d'Artur. I think it's by Thomas Mallory.

I think I just figured out what I am going to read next! [Big Grin]

Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 05, 2002 06:24      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
W. Somerset Maughum, The Razor's Edge. I read it on the ferry and subway.

Warren Ellis, Transmetropolitan: Spider's Thrash. Well, I'm not actually still reading it, because I kinda inhaled half the book standing in Forbidden Planet and the second half as soon as I got home.

--------------------
"love without fear"

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 07:10      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Minsc:
...and come to think of it, if you want to read of things Authurian you should pick up a translation of L'Morte d'Artur. I think it's by Thomas Mallory.

I think I just figured out what I am going to read next! [Big Grin]

You should try the Dragon series that I recommended above. They're about a college TA and his wife that have been transported to medieval Britian, but in an alternative universe where there are dragons, trolls, wizards and witches. Dickson is really knowledgeable about his medieval Britian and really knows about the customs and social life of back then. It makes the books more authentic, in a way.

They showed John Boorman's Excalibur on Bravo recently, so the Arthur book sounds interesting. Or I might just watch Monty Python and The Holy Grail again. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2002 14:05      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I have been rereading Iassac Asimov's Robot novels. If you are looking for a long series of books to read, the Robot series, Empire series, and Foundation series make one very large timeline. A must have for any sci-fi fan.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tyler Durden
Highlie
Member # 1545

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 00:16      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perl Programming by Larry Wall [Wink]

check out A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

--Jack's book club

--------------------
that's it sir, you're leaving...the crackle of pig skin...the dust and the screaming...the yuppies networking
the panic...the vomit...the panic...the vomit
god loves his children...god loves his children...yeah

Posts: 682 | From: DFW, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 03:12      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Baxter-
Manifold Time
Manifold Space
Manifold Origin

Orson Scott Card-Ender's Game

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 04:58      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently finished the latest Xanth novel, Up in a Heaval. If you don't like 'em, don't read 'em.

I'm currently working on Clarke's Garden of Rama (the third in the series).

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janeway
Assimilated
Member # 78

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 05:37      Profile for Janeway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got through reading the Riftware Saga, by Raymond E. Fiest-- Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. And before that, was The Music of Dolphins by Karen Hesse (ok, so I read kid's books) about a girl raised by dolphins.

--------------------
Janeway--
Author, Artist, and Dreamer Extraordinaire

Posts: 468 | From: Cyberspace, Delta Quadrant | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 05:46      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janeway:
...The Music of Dolphins by Karen Hesse (ok, so I read kid's books) about a girl raised by dolphins.

Boy, her skin must have gotten all pruney-looking! [Razz]
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 06:02      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The translation of this that I read is called "Smilla's Sense of Snow". Are you perhaps reading it in Danish, and this is your translation of the title?
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 06:09      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rw:
quote:

The translation of this that I read is called "Smilla's Sense of Snow". Are you perhaps reading it in Danish, and this is your translation of the title?
I think it depends on where the translated book was published. My copy many years ago (in English) was certainly "Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow", although they may even have changed this in subsequent re-issues.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

invisikitty
Mini Geek
Member # 1764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 06:18      Profile for invisikitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Or I might just watch Monty Python and The Holy Grail again. [Big Grin]

The perfect thing for that quick Aurthurian fix...
We're an autonomus collective... [Wink]

--------------------
"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration...
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively,
there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we
are the imagination of ourselves.....Here's Tom with the weather. "

Bill Hicks

Posts: 98 | From: ...under the couch.... | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
pakratt
Geek-in-Training
Member # 1000

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 07:26      Profile for pakratt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i can't wait until i have time to read for fun again. at the moment all i'm reading are:
Understanding the Linux Kernel
Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
Introduction to Algorithms
3D Computer Graphics

i also have a few other books for classes but i don't have to read them too much luckily.

at Christmas i'll start something for fun again. all these suggestions are definitely helpful. or i might read something in dutch just to keep from getting horribly rusty.

Posts: 30 | From: LA/GA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 06, 2002 07:53      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
wild sheep chase

I love Haruki Murakami! If you like that one, try also The Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

I haven't read any fiction in far too long - must get cracking on my book pile instead of ploughing through the Cardigan on the train every morning [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 08:07      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind puns, Piers Anthony's Xanth books are good, if you don't like puns (at least not one after another until you are ready to die) then his Apprentice Adept series is good. It starts with Split Infinity.

Anything by David Eddings. The Belgariad is a good place to start. And then read the Mallorean. I have yet to tackle the Elenium and Talmuli.

Stephen R. Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.

Orson Scott Card's Ender series of books are excellent. Another of his that is good is Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus.

Flatland: A Romance in Many Dimensions is an excellent book by Abbott. It was written over a hundred years ago as a way for people to understand multidimensional existence. Post-einstein a sequel was written called Spaceland, which I prefer to other attempted sequels.

In non-fiction I do like one of Asimov's books called Words from the Myths. It is about words and phrases in English that come from greco-roman mythology.

Hope you like the suggestions.

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 08:14      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by nekomatic:
quote:
wild sheep chase

I love Haruki Murakami! If you like that one, try also The Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

I haven't read any fiction in far too long - must get cracking on my book pile instead of ploughing through the Cardigan on the train every morning [Roll Eyes]

dude, you're one of the few people i know who has read any murukami!

he is fantastic! i've read norwegian wood, and want to get hold of hear the wind sing, and pinbal 1973.

i've heard that the hard boiled egg and the end of the world is great and bizarre, about two parallel worlds

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam Atlas
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1787

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2002 09:26      Profile for Adam Atlas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- The PHP Bible!

- The MySQL Bible!

- JEFFK'S INTARNET FUNHORSE!!!!1
- This thread!

I love reading!

Posts: 11 | From: /dev/null | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture