homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Washington Sniper (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Washington Sniper
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 15:28      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
The bullet is described as a high-speed .223 caliber round, a caliber typically used in target and varmint rifles. In many states, these rifles are prohibited for the hunting of big game like deer and bear. So the idea of a Bambi slayer running amuck is out.

This round travels at a velocity of approximately 3,000 to 3,200 fps. It's been reported that the sniper has fired from distances of up to 500 yards.

The speed of sound, which varies according to atmospheric pressure, temperature and humidity is nomiminally described as 1,116fps at sea level at "normal" ambient air temperature and humidty.

At 500 yds (1,500 ft.) It would take this round approximately .5 seconds to reach its target. The sound would take approximately 1.5 seconds (we're rounding off generously here) to reach the target, or a lag of about 1 second.

As for considering the sniper's (snipers', god forbid) ability, consider the following facts: Despite the velocity at which the bullet travels, it is still falling at 32ft/s/s, which at 500 yds. is about four feet (.5*32ft/s/s2*t/2, where t=time). If that fall is not accounted for the shot will be off-target. Scopes have adjustments for that, but somebody still has to judge distance and account for the drop. Also windage has to be accounted for. (Ballistic geeks, we're keeping this simple, there are also considerations on bullet shape and the effects of various air pressures as the projectile goes from sub-sonic to supersonic speeds.) Now imagine doing that with a rifle in your hands in public and in broad daylight all while people are searching for a sniper and you're trying not to get caught.

So you see, it's one thing to do this with multple shots at a shooting range adjusting your sights as you go, it's quite another to make those adjustments in the field -- that's where the skill comes in adjusting not just for drop, but also for the trajectories of varies shapes and weights of bullet and the amount of powder used.

The last shoooting was reported by a witness as being 40-yards away; however this witness has been dismissed as filing a false report. To me it seems unlikely that somebody who is using sniper skills would foolishly jump out of a van and take a 40-yd. "snap" shot. I would tend to think this devil takes some kind of joy calculating the "death shot."

As geeks, think about the enjoyment you have writing a script or program; now imagine that kind of thought going into the design of a sniper's kill shot. THAT'S REALLY SICK!

What's eating me is how easily the sniper(s) is(are) getting away. That leads me to believe it is not a "Lone Gunman," but a group working together. I get the willies thinking that a sniper may be seen getting into one vehicle, drive a short distance away then quickly getting into a second vehicle. Later when the police may stop the original vehicle, it is clean of the sniper and the gun.

It frightens me that if this is a terrorist act then this type of activity might spread to different cells around the nation.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 16:13      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
It's the bullets that would be unique - not the guns. All you would have to do is make it very illegal to own bullets that were not finger-printed. Of course, if you really wanted to shoot someone you'd just get hold of black market bullets... piece of cake. It would be very difficult to stop bullet smuggling... them being quite small things...

Maybe they should just ban firearms. Period.

Very illegal??? As opposed to just illegal, huh? [Wink]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 16:16      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>The bullet is described as a high-speed .223 caliber round, a caliber typically used in target and varmint rifles. In many states, these rifles are prohibited for the hunting of big game like deer and bear. So the idea of a Bambi slayer running amuck is out.

Hmm..how do you know that, Colonel?? You're not a Bambi killer, are ya??? [Frown]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 16:59      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
>>The bullet is described as a high-speed .223 caliber round, a caliber typically used in target and varmint rifles. In many states, these rifles are prohibited for the hunting of big game like deer and bear. So the idea of a Bambi slayer running amuck is out.

Hmm..how do you know that, Colonel?? You're not a Bambi killer, are ya??? [Frown]

The only Bambi I got was with a four barrel (carbeurator, that is) ouch!

NRA-certified expert marksman at the age of 10. I target shoot mostly. There was a time me and Spot would go into the woods, as my son would say, "and shoot little birdies."

No Bambis, there are way too many drunk kooks in the woods with guns for that.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2002 22:25      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
If I really wanted to run up post counts there are more nefarious ways. Muuhahahahaaa

Originally posted by Cap'n Vic: ..............like what....??

You'll have to figure them out for yourself, otherwise it doesn't count as a good hack. [Big Grin] But, just to put an idea in your head... eliza + webbug + 20 lines of cgi script = [Eek!]

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2002 05:24      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Minsc:
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
If I really wanted to run up post counts there are more nefarious ways. Muuhahahahaaa

Yes, there are much more nefarious ways. Muuhahahahaaa! (am I an Alpha Geek yet?) [Razz]
But posting every bit of mental tripe that you concoct is a good second...
Posts: 419 | From: at home or work | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
TORDONOFFON
Geek
Member # 1532

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted October 19, 2002 11:23      Profile for TORDONOFFON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Mad] [Eek!] If this guy was good and kept it random I don't think they would ever catch him. But he's not. His level of marksmanship could be learned with 500 rounds at the range or more likely out in the back country. He is sloppy leaving his shell casings at the scene. Since he is shooting .223 I would guess he is using some kinda military auto loader that throws the brass. Also I don't think it's too smart sniping twice in one day. Sooner or later he will shoot his mouth off and someone will rat him out. This guy is NOT an NRA member either. [Well OK he COULD be a really really BAD NRA member.] I think he could well be a Terrorist. If America had bombed the shit out of MY native land this is what I would do. So it's ALL Bush's fault.

Now that Charlton Heston has announced he has symptoms of Altzheimers, he and Reagan can get together and forget old times together!

--------------------
He had SUCH potential !

Posts: 103 | From: Annapolis Wa. USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2002 11:34      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TORDONOFFON:

Now that Charlton Heston has announced he has symptoms of Altzheimers, he and Reagan can get together and forget old times together!

Hmm..wonder where I've heard that before ? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2002 00:30      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the people who used the term Bambi-killer, I'd like to ask are you veggitarians? I'd like to point out the fact that at least the deer that hunted are given a chance to live a long free life and aren't pre devided up with spesific dishes in mind... Are you all waiting for the end of the universe for your food to ask you "Which part of me shall you be having tonight?"

As for the idea that bullets be "finger printed to people" I'd just like to point out, people can make their own bullets... which means only law abiding citizens or people committing crimes of passion or self-defence shall have any fear about that. Whilest the real people who want to do stuff like this are getting away.

Moreover, it is our morbid fascination that drives the media which pumps his ego and makes him think he can get away with it time and time again. The medias giving away of vitail information lets him gauge how much they know... I think that public discussion (even our conjecture) isn't helping the problem.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janeway
Assimilated
Member # 78

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 20, 2002 09:22      Profile for Janeway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An ego he does have. Suggestible he seems. Jump off a bridge I bet he would not.

--------------------
Janeway--
Author, Artist, and Dreamer Extraordinaire

Posts: 468 | From: Cyberspace, Delta Quadrant | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Minsc
Assimilated
Member # 1300

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 04:50      Profile for Minsc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
For the people who used the term Bambi-killer, I'd like to ask are you veggitarians?

Yeah- If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat? [Big Grin]

Personally, I'd be happy if they also had gravy in their veins...

Posts: 419 | From: at home or work | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 05:05      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a difference between eating meat and hunting down defenseless creatures for sport and mounting a head on the wall, although not much of one, I admit. And, yes, I eat as little meat as possible, and I'm trying to eliminate it completely.
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 05:40      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

As for the idea that bullets be "finger printed to people" I'd just like to point out, people can make their own bullets... which means only law abiding citizens or people committing crimes of passion or self-defence shall have any fear about that. Whilest the real people who want to do stuff like this are getting away.

i can't think of anything worse than law-abiding people getting punished for killing people. and as for real people, there's far too many real people in the world. why don't we just kill 'em all (as metallica might say) and have done with it once and for all?

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 06:33      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
i can't think of anything worse than law-abiding people getting punished for killing people. and as for real people, there's far too many real people in the world. why don't we just kill 'em all (as metallica might say) and have done with it once and for all?

There are a lot of imaginary people I'd like to kill too. [Big Grin]
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 07:16      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol!!!

--------------------
there were so many stains on the road. squashed miss mitten-shaped stains in the universe. squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed crows that tried to eat the squashed frog-shaped stains in the universe. squashed dogs...

Posts: 1929 | From: the left nostril of my cat | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janeway
Assimilated
Member # 78

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 09:16      Profile for Janeway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, yes, I eat as little meat as possible, and I'm trying to eliminate it completely.

I eat very little meat too, (1) because it's hard to enjoy your dinner when you feel sorry for it, and (2) because I think meat is gross anyway. I'm wanting to go on a low-carb diet and am trying to figure out how to do it without eating lots of meat...got to find some low-carb tofu recipes I guess. That, and some of the fake-meat products out there, like the soy burgers and "chick-less" patties. They're actually pretty good.

--------------------
Janeway--
Author, Artist, and Dreamer Extraordinaire

Posts: 468 | From: Cyberspace, Delta Quadrant | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
cheezi git
Member # 1598

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 09:53      Profile for cheezi git     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janeway:
quote:
And, yes, I eat as little meat as possible, and I'm trying to eliminate it completely.

I eat very little meat too, (1) because it's hard to enjoy your dinner when you feel sorry for it, and (2) because I think meat is gross anyway. I'm wanting to go on a low-carb diet and am trying to figure out how to do it without eating lots of meat...got to find some low-carb tofu recipes I guess. That, and some of the fake-meat products out there, like the soy burgers and "chick-less" patties. They're actually pretty good.
being an ex-chef, i would recommend that you don't go for any meat-less substitutes, since they are normally full of additives and crap, and don't taste very nice at all.

there are plenty of fantastic vegetarian/vegan recipes around. look to asian and japanese cooking (although recent japanese cooking has been much more fish/meat orientated) for recipes that have been perfected over the last few thousand years.

and finally, get into stuff like pulses, and fresh FRESH vegetables. if you can grow your own herbs on the window sill (and use lots of them in cooking: never be stingy on herbs) then you can make ordinary food taste great. remember that the end food can only be as good as the raw stuff you start with.

oh, and eat lots of cheez. you can get quite a lot of non-rennet cheez nowadays

best of luck

--------------------

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 21, 2002 10:13      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love herbs! [Wink] On a serious note...it appears they've taken two people into custody in connection with the shootings. Haven't found out whether they're the two perpetrators yet.
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 11:57      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheezi git:
quote:

I was refering to have their printed bullets stolen and used n a crime.... Do we really want more government tracking??? There is a reason we have the right (in America) to Keep and Arm Bears.... wait... I mean Bear and Arm Keeps.... or sothing...

--------------------
My Site

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2002 12:03      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, it is more moral to raise animals to be dumb and easier to herd to the slaughter then to give them a fighting chance? *Shakes head* I suppose killing them is better than keeping them in captivity untill the end of time, liberty or death... and all that...

I think the only real difference is that when it is hunted you are killing an animal that has been free, you actually see it (you know hamburger grows ground up like that on trees right?) and so while I believe it to be more moral I think that it is indeed desirable than to watch the final moments.

--------------------
My Site

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted October 21, 2002 14:36      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for Soylent Green to become available. (Another Charlton Heston reference) [Wink]

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture