homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Drugs :( (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Drugs :(
geekdivachica
Mini Geek
Member # 939

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted December 31, 2001 10:13      Profile for geekdivachica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know a geek who is into pot use and it is not good. I just want to be armed with facts so that when he says it is not bad for you I can tell/show him differently. Please help me talk to him. I just don't know what to say when he has a story of him and his friends bowling.

HELP!!!!!

------------------
Work like you don't need the money, dance like no one is watching and love like you have NEVER been hurt!

Posts: 90 | From: San Jose, Ca, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2001 12:47      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goodness, there's so much information out on the web, I don't know where to begin.

I would suggest talking with someone you feel you can trust for advice on this--maybe a trusted teacher or a counsellor, someone who can give you some advice on how to deal with this. Please don't try to deal with this by yourself.

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted December 31, 2001 13:37      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know a few of them myself, some of my closest friends use pot, and while I have chosen not to partake, they have made a decision to do so. They realise the risks and they have made an educated choice, and I respect that choice. This is just a personal decision I have made, and I'm not saying it's right for everyone. Obviously you are showing enough concern on the issue to seek advice, so perhaps there are extenuating circumstances, or perhaps you have stronger feelings on the matter than I do. Whatever the case, with most drug use, the best you can do is educate them enough to want to stop using it, then you can help them stop if they ask for it.

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
sniper
Mini Geek
Member # 904

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2001 14:17      Profile for sniper   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why do you feel the need to make them stop? if used responsibly, marijuana is perfectly safe. it is much more healthy than tobacco or alcohol. i'm not saying i endorse any of the three, but i think they should be a personal choice. you don't have the right to judge or pressure them for using marijuana.
Ben
Geek
Member # 353

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted December 31, 2001 17:29      Profile for Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used pot and used to smoke a lot as a teen. later on in life I stopped since it just made me paranoid.

I have at least three friends who continued to smoke it regularily, like every day. Years later, they are noticeably clued out and kinda dumbed down. They are, to be blunt, stupider, and can't really focus on anything for a long period of time, and are always babbling about something far out man.

It's really sad, they are like parodies of the pot head, and all three of them could have made more of a difference with their lives.

I don't think pot is evil, and i think it can be a lot of fun, but i do think it is harmful when used too much, and unfortunately it seems to happen to a lot of people.

Posts: 113 | From: NE | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2001 18:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently, the following Doonesbury strip made me inclined to agree with Sniper. I don't think drugs are the way to go, but marijuana does seem to be the lesser of the evils.

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
AnonymousStoner
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2001 20:14            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I feel that I have to put my two cents in here ... I'm going to post anonymously as I feel that it's in my best interests to do so. I smoke pot and have been smoking it for a few months now. Before I smoked pot, I did lots of research into it on sites such as Erowid. See <a href="http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis.shtml">Erowid's
page on Cannabis</a> and the <a href="http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_faq1.shtml">Cannabis FAQ</a>. It started as a weekly thing as I was afraid that I might be found out by parents if I did it like 6 hours before I saw them, but then my anxiety decreased and I realized I can just go to a friend's house or even sneak out from my house at night. So from then on I only smoked pot every few days or something. For a little while, I was doing it daily. The reason why I think was because it was the first time I had bought it in a much higher quantity than before and I was just blinded because I had so much...It didn't last that long. Since then, I stopped for a week and now I'm just taking it easy on it. Well enough about my "history" with pot.

From my research I learned that pot is a lot less dangerous than alcohol/tobacco which present serious addiction problems. Pot has as much addiction potential as warm cookies. For example, you buy some warm cookies and you want to eat them all, but you only have a limited amount of them so you want to save some for later, but yet you want to eat them because they're so great. The only reason terms such as "pothead" arise is because of the fact that it is a drug. But what isn't a drug? Isn't food a drug? I follow a philosophy of just do it whenever I really feel like it and the number one thing to remember is to keep my priorities straight. I'm a high school student currently. I do it just for fun. I've been hanging out a lot more with friends since I've been doing it, and I haven't noticed any negative effects on my productivity. I've written some pretty cool code while stoned in fact. Sometimes I've even used the prospect of getting stoned later as a catalyst for finishing my homework much earlier in the day and getting everything done. I think smoking pot is a pretty wholesome activity to do, in general, and I don't see anything wrong with it unless the person is like smoking a lot each day. I know of a person who smokes eight bowls of weed everyday, and that's not cool ... But I'm not one to judge other people's habits ... Give your friend a fucking break and don't hassle him about his pot habits. Happy New Year's, everyone!

IP: Logged
AnonymousStoner
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2001 20:15            Edit/Delete Post 
Ack I thought that <a> tags would've worked in here ... I'm sure all you guys understand them. I didn't notice the "HTML is OFF" thing on the left =\.
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2002 11:01      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AnonymousStoner:
I didn't notice the "HTML is OFF" thing on the left

Typical Pothead! LOL j/k!

Alright, I used to think that pot was a horrible thing, but then I looked into it some more and realized that it's not all that bad. I don't condone drugs of any kind (pot, tobacco, alcohol), but pot isn't as bad as the other two. It's a proven fact that pot isn't physically addictive (mental addiction, however, is another story). We know that tobacco (or, specifically nicotine) IS physically addictive, and alcohol is addictive to the point that if a body becomes addicted to it, removal of the alcohol (without appropriate detoxification) can cause death.

Now, about the mental addiction. For the record, you can get mentally addicted to ANYTHING. That includes, but is not limited to: driving, computing, the web, pot, The Forums, irc, AIM, TV, jacking off. Some of these things are more damageing then others. For instance, prolonged exposure to TV OR pot can cause a loss in mental sharpness, sometimes temporary, sometimes more long-lasting.

I guess it all comes down to how much you do it. Too much of anything is bad for you. Pot can cause mental, um...lapses, Alcohol can cause the same mental lapses and can cause liver damage, tobacco can cause lung cancer, Tylenol (acedamenifin) can cause liver damage, sacchrin can cause cancer, Aspertame (NutraSweet®) can cause brain damage and early onset of Alz Heimers disease, Asprin can cause ulcers, Caffene can cause heart attacks and high blood pressure, and girls cause horniness in adolecent males. My point....there's lots of drugs and they all have potential side effects, so as long as you keep it in moderation, you should be mostly ok.

------------------
KK (a.k.a. The MacMan)
Proud to be Microsoft Free!
"If it doesn't say 'Microsoft' it must be better!"
The Man's Prayer -- "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Akira
Geek
Member # 954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2002 14:12      Profile for Akira   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the abstract, I agree that too much of anything is bad, and that pot isn't bad if used responsibly -- I see it at about the same place as alcohol on the Sin Continuum.

That said, like so many other things in life, the good or ill of pot smoking has to be evaluated, at least in my view, on a case-by-case basis. geekdivachica began this thread by saying

quote:
I know a geek who is into pot use and it is not good
which to me, at least, would imply that there is a problem with this particular individual's use of pot. geekdivachica, if it wouldn't be divulging a confidence, can you give us at least a general idea of what the problem is? Since geeks as a class tend to enjoy solving problems, it might result in some more constructive feedback as regards this particular case.

------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg.
Prepare to have your ass laminated.

Posts: 223 | From: LA LA land | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
AnonymousStoner
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2002 17:16            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, to bring some new information into this discussion. It turns out this geekdivachica person is someone I know in real life. I believe she's referring to me here, but she claims to know another pot user which although she's told me before that I'm the only pot user she knows ... Whatever.
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2002 02:44      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, no can help here geekdivachica, as I have already stated in another thread. The Swiss government has decided to decriminalise the consumption of Marijuana and Hashish. So how can I say that it is bad for you when the government does not agree?
Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
mto
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 441

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 00:55      Profile for mto   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much like most of the posters so far, I dont think pot is a bad thing. Habit forming, like Windows Freecell or Civ3, but not addictive. No one has ever died from too much pot use. I wish I could give you hard references, but my ex took her books on the subject with her. Among the facts I remember:
- One US DOT study demonstrated improved driving skill for pot "impaired" drivers. I figure this is a fluke, but its interesting. It may merely have been that the driver was more relaxed and careful, and driving a little slower.
- The commonly quoted study on memory loss due to pot was redone by the original authors, wherein they demonstrated that what they measured was the effects of oxygen deprivation (they were a little too agressive on the pot/air mixture for subjects, first time 'round)
- Pot really does help glaucoma.
- Pot is an effective drug for treating some eating disorders.

On a more personal note, I'll tell you this: I used to be habitual. I then cut down to only on weekends, and I lost some weight, but films were not nearly as engrossing as the once were. Then I cut out the pot entirely, and I did notice a major improvement in my short term memory, but also a sharp increase in stress. No other effects. none. It wasn't even difficult to cut the pot out. I just stopped smoking. I don't even get cravings when hanging with friends who are smoking up in front of me.

I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, but honestly, marijuana was made illegal for illogical reasons, and most of the world are currently brainwashed into thinking its the gateway drug. My pot use led to nothing but an open mind and a few ideas on how to make the plastics industry more eco-friendly.

Posts: 4 | From: Toronto, On, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
badger505
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1048

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted January 03, 2002 01:35      Profile for badger505     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coding and pot don't go together, seems pretty simple. No one I know can code stoned and since the effects of pot are a bit residual, a day maybe, smoking every night or couple of nights will impair your work performance. The only people I know who are gettting places and smoking are the weekend tokers.

Devilish anecdote:

A friend of mine decided to take a year off before college to run a small software company he started early in high school. This guy knows his stuff...

At a party I ask "Pal, do you think coding and pot smoking go together?"
He replies "Not at all, I can't code worth shit when I'm stoned...but you should see the batch of amphetamines I cooked up last month!"

Posts: 1 | From: madison, wi, usa | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 05:22      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to think of as pot and beer as at the same level. Can taste good and a couple ain't gonna hurt ya'. Makes watching the Simpsons or MST3K, or playing video games, a little more fun. Just don't go overboard and don't go driving.
Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
NeenerNeener
Geek Larva
Member # 989

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 08:40      Profile for NeenerNeener     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GeekDiva, most people would probably agree that pot isn't good for a person's health. OTOH, your stressing out about it isn't good for you. You think that your friend shouldn't use pot. As frustrating as it is, you are thinking about what your friend should be like, which is not reality. Shoulds are nothing more than values and needs imposed on others that have different values and needs.

Simply being there for your friend, would be a better idea than trying to conjole and nag him into being what you think he should be. The same goes for him, if he tries to get you to use pot.

Then again, I shouldn't tell you what I think you should do. Heh.

Posts: 27 | From: Kanada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
I Don't Remember...
Discontinued

Icon 3 posted January 03, 2002 12:00            Edit/Delete Post 
Take it from someone who has smoked pot on and off for over twelve years, pot is bad for you. There is no doubt in my mind. I don't care about the legality of it or what the statistics say, I just know from personal experience. I'm much less intellegent than I was before becoming a pot head. I have huge problems with my short and long term memory that I did not have even a few years ago. People say that pot is not physically addictive, I agree with that. I can stop smoking anytime I want to, and I have many, many times. The problem is I always go back. I use pot as a (mental) crutch, I smoke a bowl at night after a stressful day of work, it works like a glass of wine to calm me and allows me to relax. I don't "physically" need it but that doesn't stop me from thinking I do. Pot's biggest problem for me is it destroys my drive to get anything done. There is no doubt in my mind that I would have accomplished a lot more at my age if not for my pot habit. To the high schooler that has only smoked for a couple of months, sure, it's no problem now, but in ten years you will regret ever starting or you will be to stoned and to stupid to care.
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 14:16      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have known stoners who were brilliant, accomplished, happy, etc. and I have known teetotallers(sp?) who have horrible lives that were a complete waste of their talents. Personally I find I do better without pot in my life but I am not going to claim that there is anything innately wrong with its use in moderation. On the other hand I am a lot dumber than I was before my pothead years. Then again perhaps now I just know how little I know now whereas before I only thought I knew everything...

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2002 16:28      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should not be one to judge others problems, for you may have some yourself. Everyone has a fair share over the course of their lives, so why try to change that? Worry about yourself.
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2002 14:12      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
So how can I say that it is bad for you when the government does not agree?

Am I not allowed to say it isn't (that) bad for you, if my government disagrees?  They seem to think it's as dangerous as heroin or cocaine, or at least they prosecute people on that basis.

I don't smoke things, period.  My lungs and particulate matter do not get along.

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2002 03:26      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sarcasm T0, I was being sarcastic .
You have the total right to say what you like, like I have the total right to beleive you or ignore you.
For once something fun in life might become legal, who am I to argue?

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2002 08:14      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Such conflicting opinions. Before I read all the posts on this thread I was thinking "drugs - bad!", now I'm thinking, may be I should take up smoking pot - I could have sure used it quite a few times in my life.
And it's not addictive (physically), has some benefitial effects, so who cares if you get a little dumber? Alright so may be I do care.
As for geekdivachika, my advice to you goes like this:
It's good that you're concerned about you friend. That's what friends are for. But you must also realize that you might be overreacting, or there might not be much you can do. You can bring a horse to the water, but you can't make it drink. If your friend absolutely refuses to listen to you, leave it alone. You lecturing him on the "evils" of smoking pot for prolonged periods of time might make matters worse. Caring is good, but unless he's willing to listen to you, there's absolutely nothing you can do. After all, he's responsible for his own life.
Good luck.

------------------
the world will have to end someday; hopefully not while i'm around.

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
ActionFigure 1.0
Mini Geek
Member # 707

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted January 08, 2002 13:45      Profile for ActionFigure 1.0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
geekdivachica, you crack me up. In a site purported to be about intelligence you keep dropping these posts that are hugely over simplified and always followed by a “sad guy” emoticon. It’s such a stark, surreal contrast to what you’d expect here.

So far we have:

Bombs : (
Now it’s Drugs : (
I think there are ones about power and what not too.

Then the rhetoric in the post goes something like this: “Bombs are bad. We did the bombs. Peace is good. We need more peace. Because peace is good.”

Not to trivialize your problems, but it is funny stuff. For some of the other readers of these posts, I give you the list of possible future topics. So we can prepare for them.

Decapitations : (
Tina Brown’s New Yorker : (
Stuff that hurts : (
Entropy : (
Not enough foam on cappuccino : (
Billy Zane won’t return my calls : (
Genocide : (
Mud slides—the drink : (
Mud slides—the avalanche-like deluge of crushing earth responsible for countless property and life loss : (
icky Stuff : (
Really icky stuff : (
Things not as smurfy as they could be : (
Crack : (
Steve Balmer : (
Steve Balmer on crack : (
Was not able to hold my position as Argentina’s president : (
John Tesh : (
Cyclospora: (
15 year old spoiled honkey somehow identifies with poverty stricken, downtrodden, spoon fed zealots, and absconds with a plane, flies over an army airbase where “operation enduring freedom” efforts are coordinated, and smacks into a Tampa building : (
Really, really icky stuff : (
Strom Thurmond (starting about 20 years ago) : (
Is Pluto a planet, an asteroid, or what? : (
Cock fighting : (
Overuse and misuse of the word “irony” : (
Action Figure 1.0 : (

------------------
Today is not a day for
pants...But I'm a hoopy frood who knows where my towel is.

Posts: 94 | From: Rockford, IL--USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted January 08, 2002 14:15      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, you crack me up.
iballoondesign
Highlie
Member # 1037

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted January 10, 2002 11:03      Profile for iballoondesign   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate had been pushing me into pot. I give up and decide to try just one. For my own experience, I don't really enjoy that pot. I don't see the great deal about pot cause my mind dizzy that make you feel good. Later, I called police and have him, my roommate, arrest for have pot in my apartment. It smells so awful. Yeah, I did admit tell cop that I once tried. Nothing for me but they let me go and he stay.

Posts: 569 | From: Irving, TX | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture