homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Define Internet Monkey .....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Define Internet Monkey .....
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 28, 2001 06:58      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did this term first pop up?
Define 'em .... Maybe show a few pictures

------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2001 08:06      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the term comes from some kinda'-sorta'-important guy who once said that 50,000 monkeys at 50,000 typewriters could reproduce the works of shakespeare. Of course, the web has proved that wrong (i.e. when's the last USEFUL thing you've done online?).

Also, www.wilwheaton.net uses that quote in a slightly, um...adjusted way. Since I actually like Wil, I feel the need to make you go there to find out what I mean.

------------------
KK (a.k.a. The MacMan)
Proud to be Microsoft Free!
"If it doesn't say 'Microsoft' it must be better!"
The Man's Prayer -- "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 28, 2001 08:27      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it all stated with the Catch the Monkey banner from Tree-loot. The rest is ay2k history. Here's a few of my favorite Internet monkeys...

http://www.geekculture.com/geekycomics/Aftery2k/quickpollarchive/p121.html

Internet Monkey mercenaries:
http://www.geekculture.com/geekycomics/Aftery2k/quickpollarchive/p193.html

http://www.geekculture.com/geekycomics/Aftery2k/y2Karchives/199.html
and check the poll.
http://www.geekculture.com/geekycomics/Aftery2k/quickpollarchive/p195.html

http://www.geekculture.com/geekycomics/Aftery2k/quickpollarchive/p198.html

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Angry Rooster
Assimilated
Member # 759

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2001 00:58      Profile for Angry Rooster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
For me, it all stated with the Catch the Monkey banner from Tree-loot.

Yay! I had the proper context then

------------------
--Angry Rooster
"Eagles may soar, but roosters don't get sucked into jet engines."

Posts: 376 | From: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2001 06:56      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
I think the term comes from some kinda'-sorta'-important guy who once said that 50,000 monkeys at 50,000 typewriters could reproduce the works of shakespeare. Of course, the web has proved that wrong (i.e. when's the last USEFUL thing you've done online?).

Also, www.wilwheaton.net uses that quote in a slightly, um...adjusted way. Since I actually like Wil, I feel the need to make you go there to find out what I mean.

According to Bob Newhart, some old mathematics text books used the example as an illustration for probability, "that if you have an infinite number of monkeys and an infinite number of typewriters, the monkeys will eventually reproduce all the works of Shakespeare.

Boy, could you imagine the guy who has to check the monkey's work?

'Yeah, Harry, coming to Number 27: No, I don't thing this one's gonna do anything.
But Number 29, Harry I thing we have something here: To be, or not to be, that is the gzornoplat'"

Doing a search for the term, "Internet Monkey" brings up nothing, btw--this one may require a larger search than I have time for right now.

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
theJacob
Geek
Member # 980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2001 20:40      Profile for theJacob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it had to do with the "punch-the-monkey and win $500" banner adds from a few years ago.

------------------
Intellegnce+Laziness=Efficency

Posts: 141 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
octothorp
Assimilated
Member # 339

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2002 09:05      Profile for octothorp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it had something to do with www.webmonkey.com, which was one of the first prominent web-building sites.

#

Posts: 361 | From: calgary, alberta, canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 04, 2002 04:30      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm. Now .... which is better ?

Having Internet Monkeys or an Internet Wizard ?

(you know, one of those "helpful" programs that ends with the word Wizard.)

In a Monkeys vs. Wizards Internet Battle Royale ... What would happen ?

------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
AgentOBorg
Geek Apprentice
Member # 290

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted January 04, 2002 13:27      Profile for AgentOBorg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen it but at AY2K -- and all this time I took it to mean geeky person who tinkers with web-pages and all things internet -- like a grease-monkey of Javascripts or something...? Sounds like this association was never intended.

Posts: 47 | From: The 666th Layer of the Abyss | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2002 16:14      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have one of those old textbooks with the monkey example in it! Then I tried to do that with Pi's digits in base 26! I won't go into details!
Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture