homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Whats Everybody Running With (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Whats Everybody Running With
Evilbunny
Uber Geek
Member # 970

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2002 11:17      Profile for Evilbunny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grr, but ok, seriously:
1.6 GHtz
Pentium 4 processor.
256 megs rdd sdram
40 gig hardrive

I wanted a mac, but this one was on sale for extremly cheap. So i got it instead of a $3.0 X 10^3 mac.

Posts: 904 | From: A Calculus book near you... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2002 15:20      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eh dont buy computers... build your own.. its a lot cheaper and everything you could possibly want is inside.. its actually quite fun to build it.. and it gives you a chance to read a good book while the os installs...

------------------
its sad when the best actor you have is a 2 foot tall muppet

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2002 16:00            Edit/Delete Post 
SpikeSpiegel: ... and it gives you a chance to read a good book while the os installs...
Only with slow-as-[censored] Windoze, though, Mac OS 9.0.4 on my Mac installed in no time. =)  *ducks*

Anyhow, while I'm here, anyone recognise this problem (just curious really)? My work PC is left running 24/7, as it performs tasks at night. When I came to it this morning, and turned on the screen, the video was black, totally black, not even a cursor. Ctrl-alt-del didn't yield the Netware screen either. After the reset button was pressed, it rebooted, but when the Windows 2000 splash screen went away, instead of the blue screen and log-in prompt, I got... black. No cursor, no nothing. Argh.

Reset. OK, safe mode this time (and in true M$ style took ten times longer to start, unlike Macs which actually bootfaster with extensions off. OK, after an eternity, I got a Novell log-in screen, albeit unusable. OK, there is some life in it - reboot with boot logging on instead, and then... it worked, as if nothing had ever gone wrong at all.

Weird... and it's not even the 1st of April... silly PC :) Not as much fun as my mistake of doing ctrl-A, del inside of Tempory Internet Files, which ate up all my resources in under a minute and turned the machine totally catatonic (and flashing bits of GUI all over the scrambled screen). Odd thing is, Apache was still running even though the graphics system was annihilated.

Windows 2000 had been so good as of late...

- Uilleann

IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2002 19:38      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yea well... my slow ass windoze installed in half an hour.. for me thats enuff time to read a good deal of a book..

------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2002 02:42            Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing - you never actually defined a length range or type for the book. Maybe it's a little five-year-old's book, and it just takes you a long time to get through it... ;)

- Uilleann

MacGenius
Alpha Geek
Member # 1333

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 18, 2002 13:53      Profile for MacGenius   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update Update!

PowerBook G3/300

14.1" TFT (crystal clear!!!)
8 GB Hard Drive
192 MB RAM

Mac OS 9.2.1

Posts: 264 | From: Mars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2002 14:56      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no i usually read clancy stuff or njo books.. which are quiet easy to read.. but arent that short

------------------

xobender
Alpha Geek
Member # 721

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2002 00:15      Profile for xobender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
no i usually read clancy stuff or njo books.. which are quiet easy to read.. but arent that short

am i mistaken or did you just write that you read a whole Clancy book while you installed your propiety os ? i'm kiding btw but i just had to comment..hehe.

Posts: 314 | From: OMG..There Breaking in..HELP!!!! | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted July 04, 2002 02:02            Edit/Delete Post 
Unless Microsoft have finally added MemnSomn technology to their OS installers (Elite joke), I'd not be surprised... ;)

- uilleann

SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2002 19:11      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by xobender:
am i mistaken or did you just write that you read a whole Clancy book while you installed your propiety os ? i'm kiding btw but i just had to comment..hehe.

no not a complete book... although i get what you mean.. no xp takes around half an hour.. and though i do read fast not fast enough to get a 900 page book into 30 minutes..

------------------
Kay hes a balls on chinian

perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2002 18:55      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wired_Apple_Geek:
Curious about what everyone out there is running with:

I'm running a few sandwiches short of a picnic, myself.

my work setup is a Dell Optiplex GX100 running Win2K, an ancient Acer running Slackware 8, and a Mac LC 575 running System 7.5.3 that I rescued from the dumpster which pretty much just displays flying toasters all day.

my home setup is an eMachines 900MHz Celeron w/256M, a Hercules Game Theatre and a Yamaha TG100 general midi tone generator all slave to WinXP-Home [frosty], a 333MHz iMac w/160M running OSX [cyclone] (the current favorite pet--especially since I replaced those dinky speakers with a subwoofer), a 100MHz IBM Workpad z50 running WinCE [microburst] but maybe netbsd someday, and a home-built 500MHz K-6 w/256M running Mandrake 8 and KDE 2 [cloudburst]. not including the TRS-80, Apple IIc, Mac Classic and VIC-20 hopefully still in my mother's attic.

[my first machine was almost an Amiga, but it ended up an Amstrad 8086 dual-floppy w/640K and 12 C-cell batteries "portable" running DOS 3.3, deceased, unless you count the abacus I made in 5th grade]

I want to be running that machine with the built-in coffemaker I saw on /., but I have a tendency to leave the grounds in the basket for weeks at a time...

------------------
I forgot what the words mean...

Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jasoco
Geek-in-Training
Member # 817

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2002 15:49      Profile for Jasoco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OS X takes about 15-20 minutes to install on a reformatted HD. Nice. I'll time mine next time I decide to do a total re-install of my OS. I'll probably do that when Jaguiar comes out, it'll give me a chance to repartition my HD into a couple pieces this time. I forgot to do it when I bought it. Oh well.

Anyway, the computer I am talking about is a mid range iMac G4 LCD model. The 700 MHz ComboDrive model. I woulda sprung for the high end SuperDrive model, but didn't have enough. I would actually have gone for an eMac had they been public when I got the iMac. May 14th.

Aside from that is the infamouse backup 8100 K'nexintosh which I hope to replace with a low end G3 for when I need a backup so I can at least use OS X instead of OS 9.

My dream computer is a PowerBook G4. The ones with the L3 and higher resolution. Even the very low end 667 model would make me EXTREMELY happy. At least the L3 would make it faster than my iMac.

Or if the iBooks would get two key items. One, a G4 and two, video spanning (As opposed to mirroring only) I'd go for one. Sure, the higher resolution of the Ti would be awesome, but the iBook would be cheaper. Maybe I'd go for a 14" if they bumped their res.

Keep dreaming, Jasoco. *sigh*

------------------
Visit the New Jasoco.com Look Here Folder My New Lair Vintage mac Ad's

Posts: 38 | From: Doylestown | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
g026r
Newbie Larva
Member # 1511

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2002 14:47      Profile for g026r     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wired_Apple_Geek:
Curious about what everyone out there is running with:

Well, my list of systems is located here (4th or 5th message down, look for the REALLY long one)

But, to sum things up for people who don't want to click on the link:

PowerMac 7600/132: Running Debian 2.2 (gateway/router/firewall/etc)

Intel 80386 (I've never been one to turn down free hardware): Running Slackware 7.1 (mail server, once I iron out a few bugs)

Intel P55C (Pentium MMX, 166MHz): Running FreeBSD 4.5 (audio box)

Intel Celeron (300MHz): Currently running Win98 (win-modem, ewwww...) until my real machine gets back from the shop. Normally runs OpenBSD 3.0 (web server)

AMD Athlon 1.13Ghz: Runs WinXP, Debian 3.0, OpenBSD 3.0, and Win98 (For those apps that just won't run anywhere else. Ok, ok, games... sheesh...) But it's currently in the shop for repairs to either the CPU, RAM or motherboard (and checking my email, I see that they appear to have shipped it to my old address.... _again_! )

LostInColorado

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 862

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2002 20:38      Profile for LostInColorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly cisors and knifes, every so often with a dull object.

At home:

Laptop: P3/500, 256MB RAM, 12GB HDD, Linux 7.3, Gnome 2
Server: PII/400, 128MB RAM, 8GB HDD, Linux 7.1, used as mail and web server.
Gaming Desktop: P4 1.4GHz, 128MB RAM (will upgrade soon), Windows XP.

Got a really nice Envision 17" LCD display.

At work:
Workstation: Ultra 60, 2x360MHz UltraSparc II, 256MB RAM, 18GB HDD, Solaris 8
Cluster: 2xSun Fire 280R, each with 4GB RAM, 2x36GB HDD, 2xUltraSparc III/750MHz, attached to a QLogic Fiber Channel Switch and a Sun T3 partner pair with a total of 250GB storage space available.
We have other servers, some of them handling terabytes of data.

------------------
LostInColorado

At first, follow the rules of the game.
If you don't succeed, break the rules.
If you still don't succeed, change them.
If you still don't succeed, just change the game.

Posts: 117 | From: Thornton, CO, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
daveyt
Geek
Member # 1522

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2002 20:08      Profile for daveyt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alrighty, then...

Pisces is a PowerMac G4 466 with 384MB, 30GB HD, a gForce 2mx video card, 17" studio monitor, soundsticks and an iSub. She's running OSX except when Premiere is required.

Aries is a PowerBook G4 667 with 768MB, 30GB HD and an Airport card. Again, running OSX and she can't wait until Jaguar (jagwire??) fills her up.

I'm also running with a Visor and an iPod. I was interested to find out that the new PB's don't IRDA, so that's probably as good an excuse as I'm ever going to find for playing with Bluetooth. Can't wait...

------------------
What the..?! How'd I get here?

Posts: 115 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2002 16:34      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LifetimeTrekker:
Leaving the G4 for another computer will be far cheaper than leaving a woman. G4's don't sue for alimony or child-support.

heh but the results could be worse.. it could become possessed and kill you gee i hope that happens to jon..

------------------
Spike: Adding Immature flava since June 2002

TORDONOFFON
Geek
Member # 1532

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 22, 2002 02:59      Profile for TORDONOFFON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I be having the MOST BEAUTIFUL COMPUTER EVER MADE The G-4 Cube with 1.5 GIGABITES O RAM and the most beautiful and BIG 17 inch studio display. I have a IBM 30 G hard drive that appears to be dyeing slowly. I run a MICROSOFT mouse because though Apple makes the MOST BEAUTIFUL MOUSE EVER MADE one button is just stupid [ You can ski with ONE leg too but would you CHOOSE to ? ] So I just look at my Apple mouse and use a good one. So any suggestions on a new hard drive for my Cube would be welcome. Also can I get a slot drive combo DVD-CDRW in there ? THANKS TORO
Posts: 103 | From: Annapolis Wa. USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
azagthoth
Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1224

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2002 22:32      Profile for azagthoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got really bored. Heres a list and pics of my systems:

http://gothgeeks.com/pics/desk.pics/

Posts: 44 | From: Boca Raton, FL, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Abomination
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1524

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted July 23, 2002 17:38      Profile for Abomination     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. My third post. I'm on my way to Blabbermouth!

Stationary:

"Sex" (formerly part of a "Sex", "Love", and "Money" naming scheme and was never renamed)
Power Mac 6500/250 64/4Gig internal/1 Gig external, 2 10/100 cards, Jaz 1 Gig, Jaz 2 Gig, Zip 250, running WebStar 4 (barely) - mainly used for media/file access via FTP or AppleTalk.

"Mephastophales"
AMD K6-2 450/384/20Gig IDE /LS-120/ 4 CD-ROMs, External SCSI burner w/ Adaptec SCSI-USB converter, 3 1/2 floppy, 230 MO, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, 10/100 3Com PCI NIC, AND LOTS OF DUCT TAPE, running Win98SE, Win2K Server, & WinXP Pro - Mainly used as a Quake 3 Arena machine/OS experiment.

"Toaster"
Compaq 4500 series (looks remarkably like a toaster), P1 200 (NON-MMX)/48 (maxed), 4Gig/2Gig/2Gig/12XCD, Diamond SupraExpress 56k external modem, SOME DUCT TAPE, running Win98SE and TalkWorks Pro answering machine software, Hotline Server & VNC - mainly used as an answering machine and a place to store files. I can use VNC to access my desktop and save answering machine messages as a .wav, drop them into the files folder for the Hotline server, and download then to listen to when I'm away from home to avoid a long-distance call.

"Demonslayer 2000"
The iBook SE 366 Summer 2k model my wife purchaced new, now my hand-me-down. 366/320/6Gig running everything. I never leave home without it, a Gerber Multi-Plier, crossover CAT 5 cable, straight CAT 5 cable, extra USB cables & hub, 2 button Logitech optical mouse, power supply, or Norton Utilities. It's running OS 9.2.2 & OS 10.1.5 (although the latter sucks because of Apple's lack of support for my video chipset in X). - mainly used for everything.

"?"
My wife's TiBook 500/500/20Gig, recently renamed, to what I do not know. It has an Iomega 8X FireWire burner and a scanner, a small Targus optical mouse and an iMate ADB adapter for the massive old keyboard she adores. - Running OS 10.1.5, it's main use is for graphics-intensive work and web serving. Since all the equipment has crowded her out of the office and into the living room, I am also prone to using it as an open terminal to check my webmail occasionally (which really pisses her off).

Every computer can access a Windows network as well as AppleTalk. I also FTP to and from each machine. They're hooked together with:
Cisco Aironet 350 Access Point & Bridge
JetDirect 500X Print Server
Allied Telesyn ATFS716E 16 port 10/100 switch
Allied Telesyn CentreCOM 3024SL IEEE 802.3/ethernet 10 base T Multiport Repeater (24 port)
BOCA Research Inc 8 port 10 base T concentrator
LOTS of CAT 5-e cable, DUCT TAPE, and most importantly, Love.

I wonder why my wife gets upset when I talk about building another PC...?

Abomination
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 1524

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2002 17:40      Profile for Abomination     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to type in that the iBook is NOT stationary, and that I do NOT practice the reprehensible by using my laptop as a desktop as my wife unconscionably does with her TiBook.
xobender
Alpha Geek
Member # 721

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2002 20:26      Profile for xobender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
eh dont buy computers... build your own.. its a lot cheaper and everything you could possibly want is inside.. its actually quite fun to build it.. and it gives you a chance to read a good book while the os installs...

can you build me a Macintosh please ?

Posts: 314 | From: OMG..There Breaking in..HELP!!!! | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TORDONOFFON
Geek
Member # 1532

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 26, 2002 00:21      Profile for TORDONOFFON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NEW HARDWARE ON THE WAY ! Replacing my trusty first Mac G-3 power book with... wait for it ... Drum roll... A G-3 iBOOK ! I finally succumbed to the sexy chicklet . I plan to max out the Ram install Jaguar and paint it flat black.
Posts: 103 | From: Annapolis Wa. USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2002 20:17      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehe, I wouldn't mind runnin with a nice new G4 or perhaps when they come out machines running with the massive horsepower IBM may have in store for us Mac users:
http://www.macslash.org/articles/02/08/08/2119207.shtml

As for current toys... ah... computers I am typin on one of several Macs. This being the 300 MHz G3 Beige with 256 MB RAM 13 MB HD. (It will run OS X just fine too ) As for the others there is a Powerbook G3 (Pismo) 400MHz, 196 MB RAM, 40 GB HD; 266 MHZ G3 tower (Beige) with 128 MB RAM, 9 GB HD and to round things off a little 6112 Performa (looks like a pizza box) - 60 MHz with 96 MB RAM and 1 GB HD... Now that I think about it a Beowulf sounds rather nice.... hmmmmm...

For network there is a linksys ethernet hub connecting to the 300 MHz tower, the 266 MHz tower and an airport base station. (Sitting on the couch with the hacktop sure feels nice at times. )
In the near future there will also be a router in front of most machines which will do the firewalling. (The 266 is going to do some serving.)

There is a PC in the works too but this is more of a side project using surplus parts from my college.

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2002 20:21      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify all machines have OS 9 and X except the 6112 which has OS 8 and MkLinux.

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2002 22:13      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by xobender:
can you build me a Macintosh please ?

that is actually the only reason I can't stand macintoshes, the lack of ability to build and costumize them myself, and then upgrade/expand as I deem fit as technology increases, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to use a PC and upgrade it..

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture