homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » 10.2.5

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 10.2.5
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2003 17:06      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love macs, and many people dont, but lets not argue here. All OSs have problems, lets leave it at that

i updated my mac to 10.2.5, and several people, including me, had a problem with this. (found out online that this had happened to a dozen people). Basically, i had to reinstall mac os. nothing was lost, it just took awhile to do, and was a major pain in the ass. now i am updating my OS again, and i found out that when i was cleaning up the stuff that was installed again, but not needed (cause i had an original copy) i deleted disc copy, which is what i need to update, so now i have to copy it from another computer...

thats my bad computer trouble

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2003 20:32      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm what had went wrong wiht the update?
Where is this "dozen" people?

addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2003 21:51      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wowI havent heard that; I havent had any problems with it. What exactly was your problem? COuld it have something to do with downloading via net?

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2003 23:10      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used the software update feature always and have never had an problems with anything, except that on one update it wiped my sendmail config. It probaly made a back up but as soon as i saw the file was changed (or replaced) I just added back what I wanted anyway.

Just be glad you haven't got M$, it's a patch a week at the moment on my w2k servers

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2003 00:17      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just be glad you haven't got M$, it's a patch a week at the moment on my w2k servers

Only one a week? [Wink]

And they ain't exactly the smallest chunks of code, either...

As for 10.2.5, I've only just started rolling that out on the Macs here at work, so far so good - but one of the users (and wouldn't you just know it's my boss) had the date problem with 10.2.4 (see http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25374 ) - and what does this article recommend? You guessed, upgrade to 10.2.5, so looks like there's no escape!

But I have to say that, for a comparatively "immature" OS, I think OSX generally is potentially the canine's gonads - it'd be really good to see them giving that nice Mr Gates a run for his money - despite the initial optimism, I'm not sure that the Linux-based OS's are really doing that at the user end of things...

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
perfectstormy

SuperFan!
Member # 1434

Icon 8 posted April 25, 2003 07:16      Profile for perfectstormy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10.2.5 hasn't been kind to me either. Software Update crashed after installing it and I haven't been able to run either Safari beta since the upgrade. The Stuffit browser plug-in also seems to be having issues. The console now has a permanent spot on my dock.

I've looked at the logs, dumped my prefs and sworn at the thing a few times to no avail. I'll probably just rebuild the machine when I have a free moment.

I like OSX, but Apple does seem to release updates every now and then that cause widespread indigestion.

Posts: 154 | From: nude hampster | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2003 15:43      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
basically it made me restart one day by locking up the comp and telling me to do a hard boot by holding the power button on the comp. then when it booted, the OS booted fine, but the finder could not be located (folder icon, flashing ? and mac face).

heres the mac forum on this topic, there have been several posts:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.ef998ef

like i said, it was messed up, but i didnt lose any data, so im not all tha unhappy.

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2003 00:35      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Apple does seem to release updates every now and then that cause widespread indigestion
That sounds strangely (worryingly?) familiar... [Frown]
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2003 00:46      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
quote:
Apple does seem to release updates every now and then that cause widespread indigestion
That sounds strangely (worryingly?) familiar... [Frown]
It's usually the quattro formaggi that does this to me [Smile]
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2003 11:48      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmm... quattro formaggi...
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2003 00:10      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pass the tums!!

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2003 01:39      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go to 10.2.6, now available from software update!

Of course, you may get even more bugs, or a full fix.

Good luck!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2003 05:05      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, 10.2.6 *seems* to have fixed the date problem (the 1970 revival was a bit short-lived...) but Mail is still as 'quirky' as before and Internet Exploder is still as slow as before...
"It's a feature not a bug"? [Wink]

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2003 02:23      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not had any significant problems with OSX updates, but I do approach them with maximum caution, because when one goes wrong it can take ages to fix. My routine is

select option in software update to download to disk

run fsck, update my backup (with Carbon Copy Cloner)

install OS update

run repair disk permissions.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2003 07:54            Edit/Delete Post 

IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 09, 2003 08:26      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by raydreams:
You should all go out an buy a copy of Disk Warrior now that v3 is available for OS X - mainly because one fried/former co-worker of mine is one the programmers on it, and another is the tech support there.

Disk Warrior

And because it is better than Norton. Apple is featuring it on the Apple Store page.

I second that! BTW-was your co-worker a former co-worker because he was fried? [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2003 08:34      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
raydreams - thanks for the tip; I'll give it a whirl, Shirl...

GMx - maybe working on a project like that is what fried his co-worker?

Have a nice weekend y'all

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2003 13:41      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post 
10.2.5 gave me a bit of a problem, too, on my Pismo. For some reason I lost drag and drop functionality, Repaired permissions and that didn't help.

Fortunately I had to clean that drive out anyway, so I emptied the disk and reloaded everything.

Works ffine now with 10.2.6

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacintoshGeek
Geek
Member # 960

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2003 01:15      Profile for MacintoshGeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If after updating with the Software Update patcher you experience weird issues, try going to Apple and downloading the "Combo" update. Sucks, I know, but the combo updater seems to do things properly when the partial updaters bork due to some unexpected conditions.

The combo updates contain all updates from 10.2 to the current release, so they are much larger, but they make sure everything is patched properly.

Posts: 130 | From: Beaverton, OR | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GeekAvenger
Assimilated
Member # 1895

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted June 18, 2003 23:09      Profile for GeekAvenger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we first got it, my dad disabled heaps of my preferences so he could come to grips with things, including the startup options, and he forgot to set it to start in OS9, i came home and plays some OSX games, but then was stuck in a OS that there was nothing to do for several hours.... [Frown]

--------------------
Geekier Than Thou. I think academically so therefore I'm a geek?

Ah the wonders of the crowd.

Posts: 485 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture