homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Drinking, Driving & loaded Guns! Ye Haw!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drinking, Driving & loaded Guns! Ye Haw!
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2003 22:16            Edit/Delete Post 
I was fueling up yesterday and saw one of the dumbest things.

Budweiser promoting hunting by offering a special price on a 12 pack of Bud at the gas station. This was an advert direct from Budweiser on the fuel pump. (should gas stations really be selling beer?)

So the message seems to be "Fuel up, buy beer, drink & drive then go out in the woods with a loaded firearm"

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2003 22:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could never understand the tradition of playing darts in english pubs.

"Lets go out, down a few pints of ale, and throw sharp objects around a small, crowded room".

Then there was the bank that featured in "Bowling for Columbine" that gave a free gun with every new account opened!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 13, 2003 05:06      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the States we have The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. The goverment recognizes the natural affinity the three have for each other.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted November 13, 2003 06:01      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Ain't nothin wrong with gittin' a little drunk and shootin some deer. If ya don't like it, ya ain't american!"

This is an almost direct quote from a red neck I know.
One cannot help knowing rednecks in Louisiana.

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2003 07:15      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The drinking/hunting thing depends on where you're hunting. My relatives back home in CA didn't drink while they were hunting because hunting there involves a lot of walking around. My relatives here in SC will have a beer while hunting because it mostly involves sitting still for a long, long time either on a deer stand or in a duck blind. You have to be quiet, so there's not much to do other than stare at the trees and have a beer and freeze your patootie off. This is why I don't go hunting.
Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 13, 2003 15:07      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hunting is best with a shot gun and spotlight. the challence come from the beer [Smile] And on cold days the wiskey warms you up.

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 18, 2003 10:09      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I would never actually hunt while I have alcohol in my system, I have no problem with having a couple drinks with close friends, then going out back and shooting for a couple hours. I think that might define "close friend" - someone you'd trust to be near while they are intoxicated and handling loaded firearms. Every bar around here is festooned with "Welcome Hunters" banners around this time of year, all sponsored by the breweries.

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Private i
Mini Geek
Member # 2328

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 18:14      Profile for Private i     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it was a bit foolish to stick state liquor stores right on the highway the way they do in NH, but they have their reasons....

From time to time I'll hear NASCAR being broadcast live on the radio. Neeeow.... NEEEOOWWW.... Drink bud... Neeeeeowww. I don't think I'll every understand that.

Posts: 65 | From: Ipswich MA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 23:29      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure these must show up elsewhere but it seems like an appropriate place to point out that here in Texas we have drive through 'liquor barns' [crazy]

I guess it's not all that much different from a normal liquor store. Just saves the trouble of actually getting out of the car, but just saying the idea out loud sounds... well... not sane.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 23:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus:
I'm sure these must show up elsewhere but it seems like an appropriate place to point out that here in Texas we have drive through 'liquor barns' [crazy]

I guess it's not all that much different from a normal liquor store. Just saves the trouble of actually getting out of the car, but just saying the idea out loud sounds... well... not sane.

We have those in oz too.

What was really crazy was a thing I saw on TV a while back, (from the US, of course), a drive-thru bar, that sold the booze in polystyrene milk-shake cups, complete with straw.

Of course, having bought your drink, you then drive home to drink it, as drinking it in the car would be illegal, right?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 23:58      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus:

We have those in oz too.

What was really crazy was a thing I saw on TV a while back, (from the US, of course), a drive-thru bar, that sold the booze in polystyrene milk-shake cups, complete with straw.

Of course, having bought your drink, you then drive home to drink it, as drinking it in the car would be illegal, right?

well, at least in TX, its illegal to even have an open container in the car... I think its a somewhat new law though, maybe going back 5-10 years?? not really sure but I don't remember being aware of the phrase 'open container' being thrown around in a legal sense too far back. of course much further back and I was really too young to notice such things.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2003 04:14      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an open container law in PA, but I think it only gets enforced if you run into something, or if you piss a cop off. Besides, there's a bar every 1/2 mile, so you don't need to go far for another drink.

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2003 04:24      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbonboy:
We have an open container law in PA

I've always marvelled at how stupid that law is. Police have breathalizers these days - what the hell should it matter what's in the car as long as the driver's sober?

In Canada they used to have a law (no idea if they still do) that prohibited the sale of alcohol on general election days - just to stop drunken assholes from voting stupidly. Like it makes any difference - just stops people from having a decent wake when yet another bozo gets in.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture