homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » finally getting somewhere

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: finally getting somewhere
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2003 09:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've been in Boulder two months now, sans home 'net access. It's taken me seven tries, but Qwest is finally letting me get DSL!
The odyssey in a nutshell:
-called in August: "You have to wait a full billing cycle"
-called after getting bill: "It's not in your area"
-called the next day because I knew they were full of shit: "We don't know anything about CU being your ISP" Cu is the school, and they claim to have cut some deal with Qwest to be my DSL ISP for free.
- called CU tech support: "That's crap. Call this number..."
- called Qwest again: "Not until after Oct. 15."
- called after Oct. 15: "Our ordering system is down."
- called last night: "The filters and modem should be there in five days."
So I'll soon have my very own 256K DSL line. My roomie isn't sure she wants in on it yet, so for now it's all mine - no networking involved. And it'll come out to something like $24/month. [Big Grin]

Next: I've got a Halloween costume! Went to the store last night, looking for pirate stuff. Saw a pair of pink, blue, and yellow wings decorated with glitter hanging from the ceiling. I decied that it'd look good with my old prom dress. Next thing I knew, I was walking out of the store with the wings, a silver wand, and a silver sequined tiara. Yes, that's right. Your favorite lab rat is going as a fairy princess for Halloween. Actually, it looks pretty good. I need some body glitter though. My roomie and I have agreed that I don't need to wear the heels. A fairy princess can go barefoot, right?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2003 09:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Qwest seems to have fallen on my list of ISPs now, by this reputation.

quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Yes, that's right. Your favorite lab rat is going as a fairy princess for Halloween. Actually, it looks pretty good. I need some body glitter though. My roomie and I have agreed that I don't need to wear the heels. A fairy princess can go barefoot, right?

I'm sure it looks good [Smile] . Don't you sparkle without the body glitter, or is that just my biased opinion? A fairy princess can surely go barefoot, or probably even in sneakers ('twould be an interesting look ^_^) - after all, she's might very well be floating/flying, and what are shoes needed for then, let alone high heels?

/me is a bit floaty right now, and probably can't write coherent thoughts - I probably should have had breakfast or something before having a rather strong cup of coffee while getting my car inspected, but as usual, I was running a bit late. Pero, mi clase de español se cancelado (sp?) [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 30, 2003 20:28      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the 'net access. I'm celebrating along those lines myself.

And the costume sounds beautiful. Be sure to post pictures. [Wink] And show off the bare feet!

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2003 22:41      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for (A)DSL! I was setting up my ADSL at home while Mrs csk was in the very early stages of labour, so that was interesting. Always on access is a wonderful thing.

Good luck with the Halloween thing,too. It's not such a big deal here in Oz, but sounds like it has potential to be an alright time.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2003 07:38      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It took them four months to get my DSL set up the first time! They lied to me three times about the date it would be ready! I won't bore you with the long story (which would put me in a foul mood the rest of the day anyway). Glad to hear you're getting somewhere.
Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2003 12:46      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, let's just see what happens when the hardware comes in.

I had no idea that getting a phone company to take more of my money would be so epic. I thought this country worshipped Adam Smith and the rest of the pantheon of capitalism.

One of my labmates is having a very hard time getting over my Halloween costume. I think he'll believe when he sees. But, considering what he's going as, he has no right to snicker.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2003 13:04      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, considering what he's going as, he has no right to snicker.

Tempting us with that tidbit, but not finishing the story? The people demand to know, what is he wearing?
Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 31, 2003 14:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Xan!

Fairy princess! body glitter!!! Watch out for that pixie dust!

You never know what can happen when there's magic in the air. [Smile] Especially that mile-high air! [thumbsup]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2003 14:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More a question of what he's not wearing. My somewhat strait-laced partner in the biochem helproom/labmate (if we weren't working on such vastly different projects we'd probably hate each other by now) will be dressed as a hula dancer for Halloween. Complete with a coconut shell bra, or so he says. I can almost see it. His gf is going as the chick from Alias. Them together, in costume, is something I would die to see.

Snaggy: there's air up here?? Why wasn't I notified? [Razz]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 31, 2003 16:00      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
/me requests "chick from Alias" and Body Glitter Fairy Princess pictures.

I'll pass on the hula dancer though. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2003 16:41      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

But s/he has such a lovely set of coconuts....

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 31, 2003 17:06      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, tell me about it...

I'm on vacation in San Francisco just now and because I can't live without the net... my hotel room has to ahve high speed access, anyway on arrival I discover that its $15 + tax per day. OK I'm pretty well off, and hey I'm on holiday so I signed up... checked my mail this morning and went out for a walk, when I got back there wasn't any connection. have spent 3 hours on the phone to the support team, and had to reconfigure the whole thing with static IP's etc. wondering whether tomorrow it will try to charge me now that I'm connecting manually?

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2003 18:20      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe
I'm away for the weekend, and am up near boston (natick), and the crowne plaza has free wifi :-D
It is rather unstable, but i think i have it all set.
(Including the ssh tunnels [Smile] )

Xanthine: Congrats! But I won't officially say congrats for 5 days [Smile]

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 01, 2003 07:01      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a cool price for DSL, Xanthine!! I think we pay about $50. Worth it, however.

Fairy princess? That's really cool! I gotta agree with DMan, though. Why would fairies need shoes? Besides, who is going to argue with someone who has a nice beating wand [evil]

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2003 11:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

It would not have been so bad if he hadn't kept playing with them...

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2003 12:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'd say she's a lovely fairy princess. Her wand is to be utterly feared. Remember the silly l33tified saying, "ph34r t3h la|3 r4t" (okay, maybe that was a spontaneously generated l33tism).

--------------------
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2003 12:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my, I wonder how that happened?

/me dodges a labrat with a pipettor of doom...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2003 12:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, IE for the Mac sucks! It's truncation of titles can be rather amusing though. Whilst looking over someone's shoulder, I noticed the [title] of the thread, and did a slight double-take whilst looking at the thread's creator. I knew I had been in this thread many times before, but never remembered seeing the title as "finally getting some..." Then I scrolled up and saw the correct title, "finally getting somewhere." Silly IE.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2003 13:15      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Okay, IE for the Mac sucks!

'Swhy we use Safari!

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2003 15:09      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
quote:

'Swhy we use Safari!

Jess

'Swhy we use firebird [Smile]
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2003 15:25      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

It would not have been so bad if he hadn't kept playing with them...
Which is why guys don't have boobs, because if we did, we would never leave the house

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2003 18:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
quote:

'Swhy we use Safari!

Jess

Well, duh - if this was running OS X, that's obviously what I would do.

I haven't tried Firebird on OS X, but I've heard that it's performance isn't as good.

--------------------

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2003 20:03      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.7 runs really really really really well on os x
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2003 20:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's up and running!

Yep, that's right, I'm posting from home, with Talkeetna the guinea pig happily on my shoulder.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 11, 2003 07:49      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Finally!
Its been a hard fought battle but well worth it yes?

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture